Suggestions for Mid-Range Gaming Laptop

Budget: 800-1000$. Not against going a tad over (like <100$) if the difference in performance is justifiable and without a good alternative.
    Resolution: 1920x1080 is preferred. 1366x768 or less is an automatic no but anything better than that is feasible.
    Games / Settings Desired: Only intensive title I would potentially use it for at the moment would be WoW and I would want something that could handle at least 30 FPS on Ultra aside from CPU bottlenecking (although I suspect 60 FPS is easy to achieve in this price range). Ideally it could handle 10m raiding if needed so CPU is the bigger consideration here most likely.

It would be nice to have the ability to play misc new titles as well but I do have a desktop for gaming at home that's more powerful than anything in this price range would be.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Occasionally I'll do simulations on it which has great core utilization, so while not a big priority an i7 would have some value to me, just not in gaming.
    Parts that can be reused: N/A
    Do you need an OS? No, will probably do a fresh W7 install regardless.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No. And I don't care for touchscreens if that can be considered a peripheral.

I've done a bit of looking around already and the models I'm looking at currently are:
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p 59406634 or
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p 59388313

I have zero attachment to the Lenovo brand in particular but from what I've read these are some of the best in the price range. I'm not 100% sure which I like more though; price difference is pretty negligible but one offers an i5 at 0.1GHz higher clock speed, while the other offers 2GB more RAM, an i7, and dual 750Ms instead of 755Ms, so they for sure each have their pros and cons.

Some consideration for non-performance stuff like heat output, mouse/keyboard usability is good too (although I don't really care much about speakers, as long as there are some). I know the model I linked apparently has a really terrible mousepad, which concerns me a little but overall isn't a deal breaker.

Basically looking for feedback one which would perform better for my criteria, or if there are any other models worth consideration (including sales is great too, would most likely be buying very soon).

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by aggixx; 2014-02-04 at 09:11 PM.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

I'd go for this one. While the 765M is slightly behind the 750M (and 755M's, but they're just 750M's with a higher core clock), it doesn't come with all the hassles of a double GPU configuration while offering almost the same performance.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

What sort of complications are their with a dual GPU laptop? I imagine heat and power consumption/battery life, anything else?

Not all games scale well with SLI either, and SLI setups are also more prone to microstuttering.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

As far as I can tell the Sager has the same specs as the second IdeaPad I linked except for the difference in GPUs as you said, and having a 750GB 7200 RPM instead of a 1TB/8GB 5400 RPM SSHD. Not sure I'm really sold on 90$ extra just for that.

Anyone else have any other input?

Edit: After looking at some reviews it does look like the IdeaPad can have some pretty serious cooling issues with the 2nd GPU when running intensive games so that's a little unsettling. Leaning towards the Sager I guess.

Managed to find some good info on the /r/SuggestALaptop subreddit as well.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like another candidate is the Fangbook EVO HX6-110. It's got fairly few but good reviews and I could upgrade to a i7-4800MQ for an extra 0.3 GHz for about $100 (which is above my stated price range but perhaps a worthy investment). On the flipside, without the upgraded CPU I'm not sure it has any convincing advantages over the Sager; it doesn't have discrete touchpad buttons which is a universal con as far as I'm concerned, so that and the seemingly relative lack of reviews makes me stray away.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2014-02-05 at 04:32 PM.

Since you mentioned wow, it would indeed be a worthwhile upgrade since it's about a 10% improvement in single threaded performance and therefore ~10% more minimum frame rates.

After a lot of consideration and more research I just completed the purchase for the Sager NP7355 (not the one you recommended, but it has more promos atm so it ended up being about $50 cheaper for the specs I wanted on either model). The final price was $1044 for the NP7355 with i7-4700MQ, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, and 802.11ac WiFI.

Ultimately I decided to disclude the Fangbooks as an option because of CyberpowerPCs not so great customer service. The y510p was not really an option when put head to head against the Sager for reasons listed here; the poor cooling or hardware issues causes the CPU to rarely utilize Turbo at all which effectively puts it at a massive disadvantage.

Thanks for your input Fluorescent, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2014-02-07 at 01:59 AM.