Thread: CM's For All

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

CM's For All

There always seems to be some kind of dissent when people bring up challenge modes. May it be people dont like the fact that is hard and its timed. Or they dont have the "comp" for it. Whatever the reason may be I do hope that if you are looking for a 9/9 post on your realm forums forums. Put in the time and be determined. you can do 3 a night, do a test run to get yourself lubed up and when you go for the real thing go for the gold. You will get a very acomplished feeling knowing you did your run when you "didnt have the ideal" comp. Triumph in the face of adversity and all that jazz plus you get to flex your brain in how to use your class abilities to over come obstacles.

GL Friends!
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people disliked Challenge Mode because it was an easy out for the developers. "Hey guys, instead of making more 5 man content, we'll give them the same shit, and add a timer to it. Then we can call it new content and move on to other things!" And they all agreed. The only players who seem to like CMs are those who love to race through dungeons, and who are extremely competitive. Myself, and others, tend to see this was a show of taking the easy way out. I do not know how many people actually participate in CMs, but I guarantee it is not as high a number as they would have hoped.

Hopefully in WoD, they will not skate by with the same bullshit tactics.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd like Challenge Modes if they were solely tuned to be very difficult for the fixed item level, and not time based.

I personally hate timed runs in any games, and don't get any satisfaction out of rushing content. Sure, it will be impossible to tune CMs so that they will all be equally difficult for every group comp, but it seems we have the same sort of things going down in their current iteration anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I think people disliked Challenge Mode because it was an easy out for the developers. "Hey guys, instead of making more 5 man content, we'll give them the same shit, and add a timer to it. Then we can call it new content and move on to other things!" And they all agreed. The only players who seem to like CMs are those who love to race through dungeons, and who are extremely competitive. Myself, and others, tend to see this was a show of taking the easy way out. I do not know how many people actually participate in CMs, but I guarantee it is not as high a number as they would have hoped.

C Modes are a test of the player. It was never new content it came with launch the launch of the new expansion. The timer part is what makes it fun, if you want to just complete the dungeon do it on heroic. TBH I think how blizzard made it look really hard scared people away but after you run them you feel so accomplished. At least i do when I complete a run with a a less than ideal group.

@DP Damn near any comp can make gold just need to know your class.

Im most excited for beta so i can level up with the people I run with so we can start working on the new dungeon challenge modes
    14/14h and finally done

Quote Originally Posted by Redpanda View Post
    There always seems to be some kind of dissent when people bring up challenge modes. May it be people dont like the fact that is hard and its timed. Or they dont have the "comp" for it. Whatever the reason may be I do hope that if you are looking for a 9/9 post on your realm forums forums. Put in the time and be determined. you can do 3 a night, do a test run to get yourself lubed up and when you go for the real thing go for the gold. You will get a very acomplished feeling knowing you did your run when you "didnt have the ideal" comp. Triumph in the face of adversity and all that jazz plus you get to flex your brain in how to use your class abilities to over come obstacles.

GL Friends!
    I did all mine this past week, and they were honestly a blast. No guildies or anyone I knew wanted to go, and no groups would want me not being 9/9 already.

So, I started making my own group, trying, failing, trying, failing, getting new people, etc etc.

One thing I can tell you, though, is that in just a few days of doing CM's, my friend's list has more people on it than it has since Wrath. I made a lot of connections with some really cool people, and I'm really glad I worked through them.

And big thanks to Red here who actually helped me get my last one. Brewery was a bitch with the people I was getting lol.

If anyone ever wants to do CM's or wants help with them, you can always message me, I might be up for some more

Yeah, the dungeons are harder and you only need to race them if you go for gold. CM were so awesome at the beginning of MoP, I loved it! And comes WoD I will try to make a fortune, people payed so much at the start of MoP.

Do the things before you judge them, it's not only a race and real content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Yeah, the dungeons are harder and you only need to race them if you go for gold. CM were so awesome at the beginning of MoP, I loved it! And comes WoD I will try to make a fortune, people payed so much at the start of MoP.

The same content made harder and harder is boring too. It's pretty much phoning it in when it comes to new content. Here is a dungeon. Here is the same dungeon heroically. Here is the same dungeon heroic +1. Here is the same dungeon heroic +2. Here is the same dungeon heroic +3. There is nothing fun about 5 different ways to do the same old shit. It would be like going to the same mall and simply walking through it faster while it gets more and more crowded just to get a better coupon at the end of the trip.

I have tried it. Never again.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same content made harder and harder is boring too. It's pretty much phoning it in when it comes to new content. Here is a dungeon. Here is the same dungeon heroically. Here is the same dungeon heroic +1. Here is the same dungeon heroic +2. Here is the same dungeon heroic +3. There is nothing fun about 5 different ways to do the same old shit. It would be like going to the same mall and simply walking through it faster while it gets more and more crowded just to get a better coupon at the end of the trip.

well at least now we know your thoughts on lfr , norm etc raiding. soudns like its not for you, which is okay. I still advocate that everyone try them out, its not as bad as people make it out to be.
    14/14h and finally done

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post

I started them for tmog, and ended them with tmog and a lot of cool people. It's been a long time since I've met such awesome people and players, and I'll definitely be doing them in WOD. It's actually shown me that there still are awesome people to meet in this game.

Working together to overcome things instead of randomly joining and leaving strangers constantly is the way dungeons should work. I was very pleased.

I dislike cm's because the normal 5mans are massively anti melee but dmg is low so it doesn't matter but this makes the cm version full retard for melee. Then there are the classes that are terrible in start of the expansion gear they have to find a group willing to carry and if they are one of those and a melee just.....

There's nothing wrong with CM's. It's the fact that there were no hard heroics that awarded player progression or required skills other than speed and stuns. Both of these can exist and should exist but not to the detriment to the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    I dislike cm's because the normal 5mans are massively anti melee but dmg is low so it doesn't matter but this makes the cm version full retard for melee. Then there are the classes that are terrible in start of the expansion gear they have to find a group willing to carry and if they are one of those and a melee just.....
    I did it on a feral druid and it was pretty easy. Just need to know when to pull out and when to use defensives. But then again I play pretty recklessly so mileage varies. On my feral I had RoRo reforge, switched to a darkmoon trinket and was too lazy to get a working meta and that was pretty much it and as long as i can be in the thick of things I did fine. So I say it again and it also applies to melee that raid....know when to pull out. Where is your confidence people D:
    14/14h and finally done

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Penguin View Post
    I'd like Challenge Modes if they were solely tuned to be very difficult for the fixed item level, and not time based.

I personally hate timed runs in any games, and don't get any satisfaction out of rushing content. Sure, it will be impossible to tune CMs so that they will all be equally difficult for every group comp, but it seems we have the same sort of things going down in their current iteration anyways.
    Tbc heroics were good on this. You could easy spend 2 h on a single pull if your teamates sucked. And the gear mattered.
    Timer + 5 people + real life = no go
    Don't sweat the details!!!

The issue I had with Challenge Modes is that originally they seemed to be Blizzard's idea of challenging 5 man content.

Luckily they seem to have realise (if dev tweets are anything to go by) that people who enjoyed TBC and Cata heroics don't find Challenge Modes interesting or the challenge they're after.

TBC/Cata heroics were fun due to difficulty and precision, making a mode where it's basically zerg as fast as you can and skip as much as you can by any means necessary isn't scratching that itch.

Some (maybe lots) of people enjoy difficult content that isn't just one massive rush to the end, but more a careful and considered approach.

I enjoyed it (as much as you can) when a trash pull in say heroic SH would go wrong, and you'd res up and discuss a new strategy on how to face it, change the CC up, change the kill order, and then finally kill it.

Deleted
    Hmmmmm sounds fair

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpanda View Post

GL Friends!
    As a guild we have been working on these before, but never got beyond all bronze & a couple on silver really. Going to try for gold again soon, but evidently our skill levels aren't really up to it without lots of practice and time is always scant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Timed runs are not necessarily more challenging. Whatever combination let's you skip as much trash as possible is what wins the competition. Skipping past stuff is not exactly a modicum of skill.
    a lot of cms cover dungeoning as a core. From single targeting down certain mobs, to aoe when needed, keeping things interrupted, knowing when to use cooldowns, knowing when to back off so the aoe does not kill you, not needing to pull everything only what you need to get past. And of course class skills and also player skill aswell.

@ Ratyrel if you are us horde send me a pm I can help.
    14/14h and finally done

i just complete CMs because the gear looks really cute, and my friends and i have the means to obtain it.
    Sig by Populaire

10+ Year Old Account
    i done my gold, but to be fair i would prefer 5mans without that time rush and the same difficulty tho
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    You tried, you failed, you hate it.
    A TL;DR of your posts in this thread.
    Sure sounds like that's the meat of it, but that's cool. It's not for everyone and they're entitled to their opinion, right? Now...that being said.....

There is nothing fun about 5 different ways to do the same old shit. It would be like going to the same mall and simply walking through it faster while it gets more and more crowded just to get a better coupon at the end of the trip.

I'd be curious which you've tried. The first few that would be considered the easier ones are Gate of the Setting Sun, Scholomance, Scarlet Halls too, I suppose. Depends on the order you choose.

Anyway....the "later" ones aren't really "same old shit" in my opinion. You've got to know how to push your class to succeed along with the people you choose to do it with. Some of the timers, like the Brewery for example, are brutally unforgiving. The content itself may not be hard, but if you suck at or goof your execution up you won't make it.

It depends on what's fun for you, I suppose. I enjoy the "stress" and pressure of them during, but that's the sort of thing I thrive on in regular life, too. It may be the "same old" content, but I also enjoy pushing myself more than the average player does. It's nice that there are some optional rewards for people that want to go a bit harder. Similar to the green fire quest when it was new. At 480ish ilevel I found it to be a pretty good little challenge, and I felt/feel proud of my green fire even now, despite that it's everywhere. I could've waited. Blizz was pretty clear that it wasn't going to scale, but I wanted it while it was still "tough."

It's sure as hell more exciting than the rest of the "equivalent" content in the game. The idea of scenarios (heroic or otherwise) and current (or even slightly more difficult like what's supposedly coming in WoD) 5 man difficulty levels being the default smaller-than-raid content makes me want to claw my eyes out from boredom. I just want options. CMs make me pretty happy that way. /shrug
    Last edited by Nemah; 2014-02-08 at 12:50 AM.