Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

Russian government evicted people from homes to make room for Olympics.

http://www.hrw.org/russias-olympian-abuses

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-refugees.html

"The Russian government is resettling some 2,000 families to make way for Olympic venues and infrastructure. But not all of those evicted received fair compensation for their properties and in some cases, homeowners were forced out with no compensation at all. Many resettled residents lost a portion of their livelihoods because they depended on agriculture or income from seasonal rentals in their seaside homes."

Russia really shouldn't be hosting the olympics.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really shouldn't have that weird as hell avatar. So there's that. Seriously though I don't think Russia deserves to host it but they are. We just have to make the best of it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Don't forget all the unpaid contractors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Russia really shouldn't be hosting the olympics.
    Honestly I didn't expect anything else. But what did surprise me was how badly it's organized, it's already started and they're still building hotels. How can you fuck up something like that for an event such as this, esp. when they have en egoboost at stake here?

I thought people get evicted all the time to build those grounds?
    Japan is doing it rite now for theirs..
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't that big a surprise. Hosting cities do crazy shit like this all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I think the west is just propaganding anti russia way to much. It's not going smooth no, but I'm getting sick of seeing all the negativity around the games. Just enjoy the good things.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You really shouldn't have that weird as hell avatar. So there's that.
    It was love at first sight.

10+ Year Old Account
    The western media is really going all out to dig up every little grievance to bash these games. CNN's run up to the games has been articles on poor water quality, removing stray dogs, potential toothpaste bombs, they even dug up the Beslan massacre...just about anything to bash Russia. If this had been a politically correct country hosting the games all of this would have been ignored and the event would have been declared a great success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    I think the west is just propaganding anti russia way to much. It's not going smooth no, but I'm getting sick of seeing all the negativity around the games. Just enjoy the good things.
    Honestly, things like this make me really glad I am from a neutral country. It might end up being be the worst winter Olympics in history, but he propaganda is just on ridiculous level. I just saw the "NBC: All Visitors to Sochi Olympics Immediately Hacked" video on youtube and I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa... how is "kicking people out of their homes and demolishing their livelyhood" considered "anti-russian propaganda" if that's what's actually happened?

Also, "just enjoy the good things?" That's a very... I don't even know what to call that, other than pretty despicable.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Yes, let's ignore everything that's wrong because paying attention to it is unfair.

To hell with fairness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa... how is "kicking people out of their homes and demolishing their livelyhood" considered "anti-russian propaganda" if that's what's actually happened?

Also, "just enjoy the good things?" That's a very... I don't even know what to call that, other than pretty despicable.
    All people who was "kicked out of their homes" was given new homes in the same city.
    Well, except those who lived in houses they didn't owned.

And about unpaid workers: they were volunteers, and if they didn't read their contract where was stated that they won't get paid for this work (and i was given this contract, they said that my moving to, living, and food will be covered while i do this work, but there will be no pay for it)
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-02-08 at 08:07 AM.

I don't really care if it's propaganda or not because knowing russia half of all the shit that's being reported is still probably true.

All land and buildings was government's property during the USSR. Basically, ALL people was renting their places. After the collapse, "privatisation" started, you were offered an option to buy your stuff from the government under the fixed price to make it actually yours. That was more than 20 years ago, yet the program still running, because A LOT of older people don't care or have no spare money to do it. They don't own their houses - they are basically squatters in the eyes of the law, that is why the government and affiliated building corporations have the leverage to fuck them over and pay much less or even to not pay at all, just promise to give them something "some day". That is common story for Russia, it is not just the Olympics sites.
    Last edited by Mithfin; 2014-02-08 at 08:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like Poutine forgot to tell his country that they're hosting the Olympics or something, and now they're scrambling to tape doorknobs to doors and screw seats to toilets.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Only in Russia.

If this is true, this is totally outrageous. Putin better give those poor people a new home.

Its a good thing America never abuses migrant workers, cause, you know, then we wouldn't be able to really criticize them.

WoD expansion boss, Medivh! Calling it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    All land and buildings was government's property during the USSR. Basically, ALL people was renting their places. After the collapse, "privatisation" started, you were offered an option to buy your stuff from the government under the fixed price to make it actually yours. That was more than 20 years ago, yet the program still running, because A LOT of older people don't care or have no spare money to do it. They don't own their houses - they are basically squatters in the eyes of the law, that is why the government and affiliated building corporations have the leverage to fuck them over and pay much less or even to not pay at all, just promise to give them something "some day". That is common story for Russia, it is not just the Olympics sites.
    Is that little heartfelt story supposed to make it look in a better light? Because it sure doesn't.