Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Why even have the Olympics?

Here are the problems with the Olympics

1) Corruption central
    2) Waste of public money (publicly funded for all intents and purposes)
    3) Often over budget
    4) Inconveniences the locals with increased traffic, garbage, noise, etc
    5) Opening ceremonies have been used as propaganda platform (UK: UHC, RUS: Hammer & Sickle (communism), also Nazis)
    6) Are there any long-term gains to the local economy playing host to the Olympics?
    7) Increasingly totalitarian security
    8) Do locals even get to put it to a vote? Don't countries simply bid for hosting, voters be damned?
    9) Boon for human trafficking (mostly for prostitution)
    10) Globalism

Hard to see positives outweighing the negatives. The Russians' incompetence at hosting the winter event further compounds my disgust.

Because its a sign that the world can put shit aside and come together for something.

But we get to care for sports we didn't care about for 4 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand either.

People don't really cares about those sport when its not the Olympics..And then every 4 years they are going crazy about curling and bobsleigh ?

So much hypocrisy !
    \m/(-_-)\m/

I'm alone again and old pine tree
    Asked me, where's your woman?
    I said: Shut up or I make of you another Firewood

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Here are the problems with the Olympics

1) Corruption central
    2) Waste of public money (publicly funded for all intents and purposes)
    3) Often over budget
    4) Inconveniences the locals with increased traffic, garbage, noise, etc
    5) Opening ceremonies have been used as propaganda platform (UK: UHC, RUS: Hammer & Sickle (communism), also Nazis)
    6) Are there any long-term gains to the local economy playing host to the Olympics?
    7) Increasingly totalitarian security
    8) Do locals even get to put it to a vote? Don't countries simply bid for hosting, voters be damned?
    9) Boon for human trafficking (mostly for prostitution)
    10) Globalism

Hard to see positives outweighing the negatives. The Russians' incompetence at hosting the winter event further compounds my disgust.
    Friendly sports competitions are significantly better than unfriendly war competitions.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I am with you. I know people enjoy them, but me personally? Meh.

Except Curling, I always watch that, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do anything?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Because its a sign that the world can put shit aside and come together for something.
    The Olympics certainly don't exude that sort of vibe to me. If anything it's the host country flexing its muscle in an attempt to impress the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Why do anything?
    What an incredible contribution to this thread, not dismissive and flippant at all! It's as if weighing positives vs negatives has no place in discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Friendly sports competitions are significantly better than unfriendly war competitions.
    Agree, Olympics every day of the year it is!

Pissing contest, that's all it is. Who can piss the farthest and more on the tax payers.

come together to run around in circles, really useful. i'd prefer if it was a science or engineering collaboration.

This, definitely. Not everything you do needs to have some personal benefit(Whether to the individual or a country). Finding common ground and potentially building new relationships from that is pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by Allarius View Post
    This, definitely. Not everything you do needs to have some personal benefit(Whether to the individual or a country). Finding common ground and potentially building new relationships from that is pretty important.
    Can you name an example of the Olympics fostering new relationships? I'm not seeing the altruism you're alluding to.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    People don't really cares about those sport when its not the Olympics..And then every 4 years they are going crazy about curling and bobsleigh ?
    Hey, I go curling sometimes.

But really, to me it's just about watching how seriously fucking good humans can get at doing something if they try. That alone is enough reason for me to watch.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Allarius View Post
    Whatever is "built" from that is forgotten for the next 2-4 years. Not that I could name something like that which happened BECAUSE of olympics, doubt you can either. Nations that walk into the olympics as friends walk out as friends. Nations that walk into the olympics as enemies pretend to be friends for the time being and then walk out as enemies.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-02-08 at 09:14 PM.

Its an amazing revenue raiser for the hosting countries, the cost of building infrastructure is generally negated by the increased tourism that the games bring. On top of that is considered a time for the world to come together peacefully, but mostly the money these days.

Because they still make money out of it

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Whatever is "built" from that is forgotten for the next 2-4 years. Not that I could name something like that which happened BECAUSE of olympics, doubt you can either. Nations that walk into the olympics as friends walk out as friends. Nations that walk into the olympics as enemies pretend to be friends for the time being and then walk out as enemies.
    This isn't a great example, for reasons beyond the Olympics itself, but 1972 Munich. Solidified relations with Israel and revealed Jordan to speak out against the rest of the middle east.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

cuz Gold medals bitches.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Because they still make money out of it
    Given what was reportedly spent, I doubt Russia will make money off this one. Sochi will never be a tourist destination. The black sea is nasty...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-