Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Greenbean View Post
    The reason marriage (out of love) lasted longer, in the last 2-3 generations, I'd blame on God, and the fear of breaking a holy contract when it was more of a serious thing.
    Not saying you are wrong. However there are many who are in a relationship/marriage today (despite being unhappy/doesn't love eachother) because they own things together/have kids etc and can't simply break it off.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    its an old saying
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I kind of made it up.
    One of these statements is incorrect.

If you've never seen a successful relationship, it seems likely that you haven't quite hit the age where people start to mature enough (i.e. accumulate enough existential baggage) to handle meaningful relationships in a way that isn't totally shallow and empty.

Probably mid- to late-20s is when you start to notice more success in that department?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Greenbean View Post
    I'll give my 2 cents here. I think that when religion was at its peak, christianity for one, you didn't really divorce your wife/husband because of the contract you had with God. Now that Atheism is on the rise, people cheat, grow apart, falls out of love, and think: Meh, wuhhevvah. I'll find a new one.

The reason marriage (out of love) lasted longer, in the last 2-3 generations, I'd blame on God, and the fear of breaking a holy contract when it was more of a serious thing.
    It's worth noting that divorce rates have been trending downward for a few decades now. I suspect there was a spike caused by a relief in social/religious pressure on young couples to stay together. Now that we're adjusting to a culture which more openly values self-expression as a fundamental virtue, you're less likely to find young people getting married; instead they're trying to build an identify for themselves before settling down.

I'd bet there's a very strong correlation in any given population between average age of first marriage, and overall divorce rate.

Been together for 8 years now. Recently Married on Jan 24th, 2014. We'll see how it goes! If the last 8 years are any indication then it will only get better from here