What is 'Glancing' hit?

while MSBT is active i see some pet attacks as glancing.

Question is what exactly it is? is looks like some partial damage done?

Thanks! checking out!

Basically a old and useless mechanic that introduces another (if small) element of RNG to BM hunter play in particular.. Pls remove.

Something that should have been removed like they did for caster.

Yeah, seems like some random attacks doing 20% less damage on white attacks.

Another interesting thing, i have 7.50% expertise, still my pets few attack gets parried. shouldn't happen i think.

7.5% Expertise only covers Dodge; you can still be parried from in front of the target. It's also why most Tanks go for 15% as they are going to be in front of the boss, whereas DPS should be behind and thus making it pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Azortharion View Post
    Basically a old and useless mechanic that introduces another (if small) element of RNG to BM hunter play in particular.. Pls remove.
    Because hunters are special and it doesn't affect oh, I dunno, rogues, enhancement shammies, warriors, <insert random melee dps>? In fact, it should be argued hunters get affected the least of the physical damage classes. Unless you were just comparing BM specifically to the other two specs of hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    Yeah, seems like some random attacks doing 20% less damage on white attacks.

Another interesting thing, i have 7.50% expertise, still my pets few attack gets parried. shouldn't happen i think.
    This happens to players as well. Even though you are technically behind the boss, often times the boss will turn when casting a raid mechanic on the raid. This is rare and shouldn't happen often, but during the second or so that he's now facing you, you can get parried. But much more often if there's a tank swap mechanic or a moving the boss mechanic, you can have the boss facing you (or your pet) for a second or so, causing parries. Pets do not automatically try to get behind the boss before every attack.
    Last edited by phayze; 2014-02-10 at 03:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phayze View Post
    Unless you were just comparing BM specifically to the other two specs of hunters.
    I imagine he was, considering this is the hunter forum ^^

Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    I was under the impression that hunters' attacks cannot be parried, with the character sheet making no refence of expertise past 7.5% "dodge capped." Tis always a pain in the arse when a Kill Command here and there gets parried even though I'm 2552 hit rating. I'd have though pets get double the rating of the hunter, not exactly OP.
    Last edited by Phototropic; 2014-02-10 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added quote

Hunters attacks cannot be parried, but they can be glanced from the front, like any physical damage dealer. And as always, when our dumb pet happens to be near the front of the boss, it can be parried. This is why Lynx Rush is bloody awful with the teleport.

Really want that petless talent to go through in some form or another; so many issues solved.

Quote Originally Posted by phayze View Post
    Because hunters are special and it doesn't affect oh, I dunno, rogues, enhancement shammies, warriors, <insert random melee dps>? In fact, it should be argued hunters get affected the least of the physical damage classes. Unless you were just comparing BM specifically to the other two specs of hunters.
    Nawwwh, the BM hunter comment was versus the other hunter specs, however I still think it's an old and useless mechanic and I'm sorry melee-based specs have to deal with it.

its only white attacks, only a few of them gets parried. yes most likely boss faced around and got parried. Pet and petless both has its use. having a pet means u can put a portion of ur dps onto something which is guaranteed higher uptime. only issue with pets is getting stuck or despawning. None of these happens a lot recently either. my pet used to despawn on Immersius, but then i i moved myself to a section slightly behind boss. this way pet is now actually right beside me. on Noroushen cleansing phase, just follow ur pet if u r BM, and u could actually save time killing the adds and get out of the realm faster. I have not yet faced an issue with pet on blackfuse belt either, though many report otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Hunters attacks cannot be parried, but they can be glanced from the front, like any physical damage dealer. And as always, when our dumb pet happens to be near the front of the boss, it can be parried. This is why Lynx Rush is bloody awful with the teleport.
    Never seen mention of glancing blows having a directional component, nor affecting ranged attacks. A couple of sources seem to agree. Do you have something that says otherwise? Perhaps you were thinking of blocks, which did once affect ranged attacks coming from the front, but if I recall that was also removed.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    Never seen mention of glancing blows having a directional component, nor affecting ranged attacks. A couple of sources seem to agree. Do you have something that says otherwise? Perhaps you were thinking of blocks, which did once affect ranged attacks coming from the front, but if I recall that was also removed.
    I think he meant parry.
    Parry only happens in front.
    Glancing blows happens 24% of the time, no matter what position.

Hmmm, I always assumed it was directional, because I'm only ever seeing it in logs. I guess not.