Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is it okay to be butthurt for not getting a beta invitation?

I've been a loyal customer. I've always played Diablo.
    I've spent a lot of money to support them and have a good time.

Naturally, I felt betrayed when they didn't invite me to try the beta. I'm not delirious, I know how the system works, and it's fair that way.
    But we've all got some form, be it mild or severe case of delusions of grandeur. How did you cope with the fact you didn't get in?

Are you pissed?
    Relieved?
    Disappointed?

I'm only pissed about one thing, and that is that a lot of the luckiest people on earth, were bots and chinese farmers. They were inactive players that had no plans on returning to Diablo. I would have felt a lot better about this if I knew that it came to use, and not only by streamers and public people. (Streamers got about 150 of 25.000 invites, fair I'd say for publicity)

I've gotten into every Blizzard beta since Wrath of the Lich King, including the original D3 beta, and I'm very excited to play the new crusader class... so, yeah, I am kind of annoyed But, hey, oh well.

I've been playing WoW for almost a decade and I am never in the first beta waves. Usually mid-to-late waves. Sometimes I didn't even get in at all.

It's just luck of the draw and nothing to really be "butthurt" about. Shit happens in life. There's plenty of things that already deserve your ire more than RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know that when they select beta, it's based on your computer? If you have a pretty bad computer, then you don't really have a fair shot at getting in, but if you have a top 1% build, then yea you have a good shot. It's a mixture of that and how many hours you put into the game. Sure you might have been loyal, but your computer might not have been at the standards that they wanted. Not like it matters anyways, the game is going to come out soon.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

yeah it's just luck of the draw that Total Biscuit et al are in every games beta

do people really think that spening money on a game increase the change to get into a exp beta?

if you really want to be in stream i would go to http://www.twitch.tv and start streaming. once you get to 1x.xxx followers a day then beta invites will pop up more and more

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    You do know that when they select beta, it's based on your computer? If you have a pretty bad computer, then you don't really have a fair shot at getting in, but if you have a top 1% build, then yea you have a good shot. It's a mixture of that and how many hours you put into the game. Sure you might have been loyal, but your computer might not have been at the standards that they wanted. Not like it matters anyways, the game is going to come out soon.
    Actually a super bad computer gives you a pretty high chance of getting in. They need to test both Minimun requirements to run the game, and max.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, no. RoS Beta has been very, very conservative in terms of invites compared to say, Vanilla Diablo 3 (at least Vanilla Diablo 3 had a couple of days when it was in open Beta before shipping).

Personally, I think it's for the better. The game needs quality feedback, not quantity (too many testers can make the feedback not very focused).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Not really, no. RoS Beta has been very, very conservative in terms of invites compared to say, Vanilla Diablo 3 (at least Vanilla Diablo 3 had a couple of days when it was in open Beta before shipping).

Personally, I think it's for the better. The game needs quality feedback, not quantity (too many testers can make the feedback not very focused).
    Who decides who is a quality tester? I'd say that with quanity, they have a better shot at getting quality feedback. It's all going to be subjective. The more votes you bring in on certain matters the more varied answers you'll get. They should start from there. 25k is hardly representative of Diablo 3's playerbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Greenbean View Post
    Who decides who is a quality tester? I'd say that with quanity, they have a better shot at getting quality feedback. It's all going to be subjective. The more votes you bring in on certain matters the more varied answers you'll get. They should start from there. 25k is hardly representative of Diablo 3's playerbase.
    Has nothing to do with who is better qualified on an individual level. Too many testers will make it harder for the developers to get focused feedback if everyone and their mother have to speak their mind about tons and tons of different issues. Developers want focused testing and you simply can't organize people en masse to follow such directions. It's as simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Beta access is not a reward for loyalty, it is not a preview, and it is not something that anyone "deserves." You don't get a "vote" in development, either. You are there to find and report bugs, not to say "I don't like this encounter, change it please." It is a testing environment. They don't even need a large number of testers unless your invitation was needed for a stress test.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by silvanobi View Post
    yeah it's just luck of the draw that Total Biscuit et al are in every games beta
    That's because people like TB usually send game companies a request to test and review their game and since he is a well known youtube game reviewer he has priority over regular players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefeng View Post
    No. Beta access is not a reward for loyalty, it is not a preview, and it is not something that anyone "deserves." You don't get a "vote" in development, either. You are there to find and report bugs, not to say "I don't like this encounter, change it please." It is a testing environment. They don't even need a large number of testers unless your invitation was needed for a stress test.
    I've heard that. It's true. Technically, it's not a reward for loyalty or a preview for yourself to enjoy, but that's at the same time exactly what it is, bar the loyalty thing. It's definitely a preview of sorts. It depends on how you look at it.

Your average consumer, whether they know it or not, probably doesn't actually want to participate in a beta test.

Sure, they might have fun logging in and trying out the beta... but they're not actually testing it -- they're just playing it. That's a pretty big difference. Personally, I'm glad I'm not in the RoS beta... I'd probably log on, play it, maybe even finish it if it's a full beta, and then I'd probably never buy it on release. I would, as it were, miss out on the final product and potentially be turned off from future content.

Don't be too upset that you're not in the beta... it's probably for the best.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    That's because people like TB usually send game companies a request to test and review their game and since he is a well known youtube game reviewer he has priority over regular players.
    Not to mention the fact that he created the "Blue Plz" podcast, "WoW Radio" podcast, professionally shoutcasts for StarCraft 2 & Planetside 2, owns/sponsors a professional StarCraft 2 team, and runs a variety gaming channel on YouTube that garners many invites to alphas/betas for both publicity and critical response.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's not OK to be "butthurt" about anything. Incredibly homophobic term.
    Really dude?

It's hard not to get butthurt over it, you invest the time into playing their game and you feel like you should get something out of it. Unfortunately that's not how it works Blizzard doesn't owe you anything at all, you don't deserve anything at all. You bought their game, you play it, you have fun and you enjoy playing it, that's all you deserve. The quicker you realize this the better off you will be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    Really dude?

It's hard not to get butthurt over it, you invest the time into playing their game and you feel like you should get something out of it. Unfortunately that's not how it works Blizzard doesn't owe you anything at all, you don't deserve anything at all. You bought their game, you play it, you have fun and you enjoy playing it, that's all you deserve. The quicker you realize this the better off you will be.
    You get the enjoyment of playing their games out of it, that's the point of playing games in the first place. You shouldn't play games because you expect some additional reward for loyalty.

Deleted
    I don't think it's okay to feel betrayed.

It's okay to be disappointed, annoyed, frustrated - but betrayed implies deceit. There's no malignance in a random number generator. Yes, "press" may get keys, and "press" these days includes popular youtube names and popular twitch streamers, but that's a very small percentage of the keys - and to be honest, these people spend their lives giving their opinion on games, they put a lot of work into it, and sometimes their entire living depends on it so I think it's absolutely fine that they get beta keys first.

I didn't get a D3 beta key - yet - either, I'd like to try it but it'll be out soon and I think that RNG is honestly the fairest way to go. Trying to calculate who is the most loyal or who has spent the most money is going to stir up far more anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post

I just hope they somehow keep track of who gets beta keys but doesn't add any feedback so they wont get any in the future. :P

Just ask yourself one question and answer it sincereley.

"DO i really want to Play the beta and provide Feedback, or do i want a headstart?"