Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Help, I've been charged with assault on a minor.

Hello.

Really need some help here, If anyone knows about Scottish or UK LAW and can help me out I would really appreciate it.

Just before Christmas I was working in my shop myself minding my own business, The High school next door had just came out to go home. One of the little shits at the school decided to steal our flag(advertisement flag) that sits outside at the door. I got up to chase him and get it back. As I run to the door he runs across the street with the flag I get to within a few feet of him and he drops it, I continue to chase him. I get to within a few inches of him and suddenly....he stops...Him being young and small he can stop instantly, Now me being 105kg and 6'5, I couldn't stop instantly and ended up going straight into him. He falls into a shop door, I managed to stay on my feet. He looked at me with a stupid smug look and laughed.

I walked back across the road, Picked up my flag and went back into my shop, About 20 minutes later I hear this man and woman yelling like psycho's outside the shop. I have a look outside and It's the boy with his parents, shouting at the shop. F-bombs everywhere and cunt this and cunt that.

I shrug it off and go back to my work.

10 minutes later two police officers turn up and say I have to come with them as I've been identified by a minor as assaulting him. I go to the police station and they put me in a detention room. Take my shoes and glasses, hat and belt. 3 hours after sitting there alone shaking like a bloody leaf. They come take me out and tell me "I'm going to be charged with assault on a minor" They said they reviewed the CCTV and it looks like I "Pushed" the boy.

They said he will fill in this form and get you home, Your dad is waiting for you outside. The officers were the nicest guys ever. I think they could tell I was terrified at what was happening. They said "You have no record at all, I wouldn't worry about it, This is VERY minor in the scheme of things"

Anyway while working the next day the guy I work with turns up. I was telling him about what happened and he phoned his wife(She works in said school) he tells her the boys name. She says the whole family are.....to put it lightly "arseholes"

I had forgot about it until today. When I got my letter about what plea I will put in. After looking through the internet all day, browsing forums and asking people. If I put in a Guilty plea I will more than likely a fine and it will be on my record, If I pled "NOT GUILTY" a court date will be set and I will need to contact a lawyer.

I'm a family guy, I've worked ever since I left school, I've never been in trouble with the police. I have two daughters. Two sisters, and more than 15 younger cousins. I would never EVER hurt anyone.

BUT. The CCTV footage shows me running into the boy, because that's what happened. How can I prove that I didn't mean it? Will they even believe me? Is it worth my time and money?

I really need some advice.

Talk to a solicitor.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do what you think is right: if you feel you are not guilty then go for it. Contacting the press can help you, as lots of people might feel that according to your story you didn't do anything wrong. You can also press charges for theft of your flag.

Move to the US where you can defend yourself and your property without charges (that stick anyway).

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you seen the footage? Also does it show him stealing/carrying/dropping the flag anywhere? Two wrongs don't make a right, but it would help paint him as an instigator rather than an innocent victim, which if you fought it would go a long way.

Regardless, you should talk to legal council.

Shoulda stopped chasing him. But in all seriousness, don't come to a forum asking for legal advice. It's a very delicate situation. Seek professional help.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    I have not seen the footage, but the street isn't very wide. so it SHOULD have caught that. How do I go about getting a hold of the footage?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Talk to a solicitor.
    SO MUCH this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Talk to a Solicitor.

Seriously. Now.

Get off the internet, or stay a bit longer to find a phone number for one, and go talk to them. Now.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Talk to a solicitor.
    Sorry mods, but this bit of advice is really all OP should take away with him
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a camera in a store? If you do use it as evidence. Or if any other worker has seen a kid stealing a flag.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    It's 19:50 at night lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Do you have a camera in a store? If you do use it as evidence. Or if any other worker has seen a kid stealing a flag.
    We do, but they wipe every few days.

I work in the shop myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klork View Post
    I have not seen the footage, but the street isn't very wide. so it SHOULD have caught that. How do I go about getting a hold of the footage?
    You have two options:
    You talk to a legal representative, NOW. Before entering your plea.
    Or
    You talk to a legal representative after you enter your plea of Not Guilty.

There's really one thing you NEED to do though. And others are suggesting it too.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please contact and Attorney. You could get really screwed on this. An Attorney will advise you what and how to plead after he reviews the Vid and all the witness info, etc...I was wrongly accused (in US) of a petty theft at Sam's Club. They forgot to check out something, left on the bottom of the cart. I had 2 carts worth of stuff and didn't notice. I had spent over 300.00. The minute I was out the door they grabbed me and detained me. Called the cops and I went to jail for the night. I am a "mature" woman, with husband and kids, never ever have I done anything wrong. My dad and Husband came and bailed me out. I had been told I had to spent the night because no judge was available til the am. I was terrified, in a cell with a dozen women of varying degrees of charges going up to manslaughter. Thank god I was out after 4-6 hours.
    I spent the money to get a decent attorney and was advised to fight the charge. Problem was if I lost I faced up to 3 months in jail and a stiff fine. I have a disabled child and HAD to be there to take care of her. I chose to plead "no contest". This is not admitting guilt, and the Attorney spoke to the Judge about my case. I was given 40 hours of Community Service and 2 years of Probation but after done it would be expunged from my record. I don't know what they have where you are but I would rather do my penalty and be able to be with my family, than face months in jail. If I had not consulted the Attorney I probably would have been jailed. I was not guilty and it pissed me off to have to do this but I could have been in for a world of hurt if I had not contacted the Attorney!
    Please be smart about this, it could effect the rest of your life. Good Luck!

Lawyer up. Not much else you can do.

Stupid laws are stupid. And you will be hard pressed to find laws dumber then those written to supposedly "protect" kids and women. A lot of those laws are essentially the sort where even self defense will land you in jail. If they injure themselves while attacking you, can still land you in jail.

Never ever ever under any circumstance confront minors or women if you are a dude. Walk away/run away is the safest thing you can possibly do.

Deleted
    Right what you do is;

Murder the one pressing the charge, this includes their family.

Murder the judge.

Murder the jury.

Cheese it.

Get legal advice. Don't trust the internet armchair experts to make actual serious potentially life changing decisions for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    So don't wear skimpy clothes getting raped is not entirely out of your control either.

I would have just let him have the flag.

Put in Not guilty now. Wait for the district attorney to offer you a better deal (the first one always sucks). You're public defense attorney is almost always going to tell you to plead guilty. Just tell him you want to plead guilty, but to better terms than what their first offer was.

Deleted
    Do you have a Stand-your-ground law in the UK? If so i would call Zimmerman.