Freshly back to WoW. Playing a healer for the first real time. Any tips?

I was around from Vanilla through Wrath with minimal play in cata and even less in mists. I've always played tanks in serious progression and have been a content pusher clearing vanilla, To muru in BC, and all of wrath. But healing is a completely different game than tanking.

I just came back and hit 90 4 days ago. I got myself in as good of a situation gear wise as I possibly could and ended up doing all the LFRs and flexes. I'm starting 25s tomorrow and my current ilvl is 526. I plan on doing LFR and FLEX before the raid and upgrading my 2 pieces of 553 gear with my 1000 valor tomorrow. I'll link armory when servers are back up.

I'm currently Disc/Holy, but stay disc for all but malkorak.

I typically smite/holy fire/penance atonement heal, using spirit shield on CD(unless it needs saved) to either stop raid DMG, or GHeal the tanks for bubbles.
    I keep PW:S up on the tank at all times with my freebie.
    Use PoM if there is reliable raid DMG.
    PoH/Halo for raid DMG and bubble/penance in emergencies.
    I try to keep AA up as much as possible but forget occasionally but am working on it.
    Save barrier and PS to use as needed and use fiend/BE silence on CD for mana.
    I use Halo on most fight but switch to star on some stacking fights. I haven't really found an advantage of cascade over halo yet though.

I'm not really sure how often I really need to penance the tanks for grace of if I'm missing anything glaringly obvious. I'm still in the process of getting the feel for WoW again and probably missed something.

Also how much spirit is needed for 25s/25H? I'm currently sitting at 13000 with 2 pop for 3k trinkets and tailor cloak proc and don't seem to have any issues with mana in flex/LFR.

Any tips would be great I'm an open book and ready to learn.

Deleted
    Hiya

Dont use spirit shell on CD. A good disc knows when raid dmg is incoming and will typically use Spirit shell 10secs before to fill them up. Some fights its actually ok like nourushen where dmg is constant. With your "freebie" im assuming your are talking about the talent that gives you a shileld when you pennance. Do not use that talent Twist of fate is much much better in almost every instance. Get weak auras track when the buff is up you need to actively ping mobs with smite when they are low to benefit from the buff. You can use it pretty much is every fight with adds in it.

As for mana i run 8k spirit and with proper CD management im ok pretty much all the time. Once you get the legendary meta gem going to 7/8k is viable but until then i would suggest around 9/10k spirit for you. In 25mans we have lots of mana cds available to us like priest hymms, mana tide, innervates so call for them when you need them. I believe using Solace over mindbender is better for your mana however using solace is an active thing while using mindbender is just a fire and forget spell every 1min. If you are using mindbender use it on the pull and then on CD there after. Try to use mana hymm somewhere 1/2mins into the fight if it is a long fight to get the CD back towards the end otherwise just hold it and always pair it with your fiend.

In 25man i use
    Immerseus=Cascade
    Protectors- Divine star
    Nourshen - Divine star
    Sha - Divine star normal i would use cascade on Hc since everyone is so spread (depends oon your tactic)
    Galakras - Star
    juggs - Cascade you can use it just before the first knockback and have it up for the second
    Shamans- Normal halo hc divine star if you are healing up (Shouldnt be since discs are too good for iron prisons) then halo
    Nazgrim - Halo but cascade is fine too because people are sometimes pretty spread out and you wont get a great halo off.
    Malk- Halo Halo Halo run into the middle of the fight with an AA halo G_G. disc is still strong for this fight since your bubbles will go before the ancient barrier so its still decent. Its good to shield people soaking and if you are stacking a pre spirit shell is pretty good too.
    Spoils - Halo
    Thok - Divine star
    Siege - Halo
    Paragons - Cascade
    Garrosh -Divine star.

I used to know this priest who only used pennace on the tanks and not for atonement but tbh i guess thats sorta valid i 10man but in 25man there are stronger tank healers in the team let them do it, you are already gonna be stealing their raid healing anyway. I would say drop 3k spirit and put that into crit/mastery.

Shadohw