Two monitor brightness differences

I have two Asus 23" PB238Q side by side. Both monitors connected via DVI. One monitor is noticeably darker then the other. I've gone through the settings to compare. They're are identical. Brightness is 100, Contrast is 80, and Saturation is 50 on both monitors. Any ideas on why there is so much of a difference?

Back light could be going out on one of them.

EDIT; But its an LED so unlikely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two relatively low monitor quality (yes $200-300 are considered low) panels tend to have bigger deviancy in terms of calibration, granted it depends on companies too. Only thing you can do is to either calibrated and compare by eye or to use hardware like a spectrophotometers or colorimeters, former being the more accurate one.

It's a big difference for sure. I guess I'll have to live with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    It's a big difference for sure. I guess I'll have to live with it.
    I'd recommend tuning the brightness / color down a bit. The default is very very bright to begin with. Usually around 300cd/m^2 which is generally outside in the sun to not have issues with glare / being able to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    What type of graphics card do you have? If it is nivida I might know what is up.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    What type of graphics card do you have? If it is nivida I might know what is up.
    It's a Nvidia GeForce GTX 760.

I can also hook the monitors up to my work computer, Macbook Pro. Using Matrox DualHead2go ME, I hook them up via DVI. Same dullness on the one monitor.

Deleted
    Game mode or other picture quality settings on the screen?

Video Feature
    Trace Free Technology
    SPLENDID Video Intelligence Technology
    SPLENDID Video Preset Modes : 6 Modes
    Skin-Tone Selection : 3 Modes
    Color Temperature Selection : 4 Modes
    QuickFit (modes) : Yes (Letter/Alignment Grid/Photo Modes)
    HDCP support

Convenient Hotkey
    SPLENDID Video Preset Mode Selection
    Auto. Adjustment
    Brightness Adjustment
    Volume Adjustment
    Input Selection
    QuickFit
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2014-02-19 at 01:55 PM.

I had every intention to reply to this thread earlier today. I did some testing today and found some interesting results. In my original post I was incorrect about both monitors being connected via DVI. One was connected with VGA and the other connected via Display Port. I disconnected the Display Port and hooked up the monitor with the DVI cable. This looks much better compared to the Display Port. Disconnecting the second monitor connected via VGA, and connecting that to the second DVI port on my video card, also looks great.

I remember checking to see if DVI was better than Display Port and finding it was not. I guess, to me, DVI is best. I also tried a completely different display port cable, just in case the one I was using was bad.

The monitor has the following options that I could set. I have not adjusted any of these settings since I'm not familiar with them.

Splendid: Scenery Mode, Standard Mode, Theater Mode, Game Mode, Night View Mode, and sRGB. I can't tell if any of these are selected.

Color Options:
    Brightness 100
    Contrast 80
    Saturation 50
    Color Temp.: User Mode - Options available: Cool, Normal, Warm, User Mode. User Mode Settings: R 100, G 100, B 100.
    Skin Tone: Natural

Image:
    Sharpness: 60
    Trace Free: 60
    Aspect Control (Greyed out): Full
    ASCR: Off

While both these monitors are manufactured by ASUS this does not necessarily mean that the monitors have the exact same components. There are a number on manufacturers that make LCD panels to predefined specifications. With these panels is also paired an inverted, which differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. While on high end panels manufacturers will normally stick with the same panel and inverter combination, you may find that sometimes they change the panel without changing the model. The end result is that you may have one monitor with a Samsung panel and one with an AUO panel.

We had a similar issue with HP LP1965's at one of the companies I worked for many years ago, where two identical monitors had a noticeable difference in brightness and colour. It took awhile to work it out, however we eventually found that by looking at the OSD for the monitor that the model numbers where different in the system information section. These monitors basically spelt it out for us, one referenced SS in the model name, while the other referenced AUO.

EDIT: Could equally be a hardware fault. RMA the dull one and see what happens.