Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Windows 8.1 or Windows 7?

In process of upgrading my PC, what do you guys think I should go for, windows 8.1 or windows 7? I heard that some games might supposedly not work with windows 8, is that true?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the games. If they are newer, they will be made to work with Windows 8/8.1

I just recently installed 8.1 (fresh install) and it works fine. I installed Start Menu 8 from IObit and also set the system to boot to the Desktop right away... no problems, just a small learning curve to get OUT of anything Metro related (mostly how to get out of various Win8 style apps, to Metro, so I can click on 'desktop').

I'd go with win 8 on a fresh build since it will have better longevity and certain games already require win 8.

(i'm using win 7 fyi if that matters)

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DevizzLIVE View Post
    In process of upgrading my PC, what do you guys think I should go for, windows 8.1 or windows 7? I heard that some games might supposedly not work with windows 8, is that true?
    I am enjoying playing Rome, Total War and Medieval 2 Total War on my Win 8.1 OS and they both play great. Both of those games came out in 2004 - 2006. I also tried a old Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on my machine. Played fine. I would certainly suggest going with Win 8.1. It is a very stable OS.

Windows 7 x64 until Windows 9 or a nice patch on Windows 8.

personally i'd stick with windows 7, the metro interface on windows 8 bugs the crap out of me, if i could run metro in a window instead of fullscreen i'd be much more inclined to work with it more.

i recently updated my work pc to windows 8.1, reverted back to windows 7 about an hour later
    <insert witty signature here>

anything that "requires" you to have windows 8 is probably just as bad as windows 8 is itself.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

It really all depends. The difference in games between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 is about a 2-5 fps increase. For a new build it's worth it but, other than that, no.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    They already did bring out a nice patch for Win8. Which was 8.1. Allows the user to completely bypass the metro UI at boot up , go directly to your desktop and brought back a nice functional start button from which you can access File Explorer, Control Panel, Search, Task Manager, etc. And also the options to shut down, restart, sleep, sign out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    personally i'd stick with windows 7, the metro interface on windows 8 bugs the crap out of me, if i could run metro in a window instead of fullscreen i'd be much more inclined to work with it more.

i recently updated my work pc to windows 8.1, reverted back to windows 7 about an hour later
    With Win8.1 you need a desktop program installed, such as Classic Shell or many other free downloadable programs for Desktop UI's. Then right click on the bottom task bar and select properties, navigation and then check the option to boot up to the desktop on start up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DevizzLIVE View Post
    Conclusion from another forum member with similar question as you have

More topics with the same debate, mostly one side that dislikes the UI which is "fixable" with a small, free set and forget app like Classic Shell and then a few with "Waiting for "Windows 9" because every other Windows is crap" logic:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ld-of-Warcraft
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-do-to-Windows
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...et-Windows-8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Do you just copy and paste this in all the Windows 8 topics? I mean do you have anything more substantial, there isn't much advice in these one liners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally I'd say Windows 7 for obvious reasons, but Microsoft has stated that they will be stopping sales of 7 on October 31 of this year, and support soon after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    Normally I'd say Windows 7 for obvious reasons, but Microsoft has stated that they will be stopping sales of 7 on October 31 of this year, and support soon after that.
    They may be discontinuing the sales of Windows 7 on October 31, but I'm calling total BS on the support shutting down. XP was supported for 12 frickin' years; there's no way they'd cut off support for W7 already. W7 support is scheduled to continue until at least January 14, 2020.
    Last edited by Aleuna; 2014-02-20 at 06:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    I'd go with win 8 on a fresh build since it will have better longevity and certain games already require win 8.

Lol what games require W8?

Windows 8. There is no logical reason to go with Windows 7 other than already having a license. Some parts of W8 are annoying, but as already stated; a few mods and it's back to W7 with some performance improvements.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you need to buy any of the versions I suggest you go with 8.1, assuming there are existing win8.1 drivers for the upgrades you are getting.
    You will most likely be able to tell the difference by yourself quite fast.
    However there may be a learning curve involved for you. It´s not complicated by any means, but not having everything where it "used to be" can be frustrating at first.

Deleted
    Windows 8.1 is the most stable and fastest thing for me.

Deleted
    I would agree with most on here, just make the move to 8. Yeah it looks awful at the start but spend some time installing mods then its not bad :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post

What the hell? What game requires Windows 8? Windows 8 version of Solitaire?
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    What the hell? What game requires Windows 8? Windows 8 version of Solitaire?
    i dont know any atm, but directx version 11.2 only works with w8

Deleted
    You'll get alot of different opinions, asking that question. Personally I would recommend windows 8.1, but do yourself a favor and read Notarget's post in this thread. Sums it up pretty nicely:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post25473063