Thread: 6 Californias.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Long as sales tax doesn't go up, whatever.
    This. My sales tax is already 9%

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Yeah, I've seen interesting maps (like this) where it divided up the US states by population (so that each state would be equal in population/representation).

I'm not sure where I saw it. But it was a similar thing as the above, but it had the US divided up in roughly ~a dozen states. Seemed like an interesting concept.
    If a state by population legislation happened, would you then do away with the house, since it is supposed to be population based compared to the senate which is 2 per state?
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The fun part is really that the State of California has no jurisdiction to create new States. Even if it did subdivide the State into sub-states, EACH of those states would have to get Congressional approval to be a state, which is frankly much harder now than it was when most States were doing it 100 years ago. Further, the State has no right to grant State-like governing powers to these sub-states (which are essentially counties). Even if it did pass, it would be meaningless! The State of California does not have the authority to create or accept new States into the Union, that is purely, 100% the domain of the Federal Government.
    like that stops the guy who would LOVE to see the "great liberal bastion" carved up.

6 seems excessive.

I don't know why people are aggressively and angrily against it, though. The idea of dividing into sections so laws can better represent the people living there rather than representing people on the other side of the state is a good idea. I mean, if you think dividing is automatically a horrible idea, why don't we just get rid of states altogether and only use the same laws and regulations for the entire country? You know why? Because that's an idiotic idea.

There's always good reason to divide a state, but you have to step back and look to see if it's actually necessary. I don't know much about California, so I don't know how necessary it is. But to dismiss the concept entirely simply because you hate the idea of dividing a state is just plain ignorant.

If a state by population legislation happened, would you then do away with the house, since it is supposed to be population based compared to the senate which is 2 per state?
    I wouldn't (assuming I had a say in this theoretical idea actually happening). It still gives safety nets/oversight in the division of responsibilities (if that makes sense).

I also feel like all states would be important for electoral votes. Opposed to just saying "fuck ya lets only focus on these 6 swing states for the next 5 months".

10+ Year Old Account
    A venture capitalist who feels
    I stopped taking this article serious from this point on. A state that is "nearly ungovernable" is bullshit. "Lets split our state so we don't have the debt collectors coming to collect from the State of California. It will be easier if they think we are six separate states." Freaking asinine. Why don't we apply that idea to the U.S. Separate the North and South and see who will pay off the national debt, if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    He seems to idolize Ted Cruz, so don't expect even a glimmer of logic from him.
    Honestly at this point I believe (hoping) that Nostop It idolizes Ted Cruz the same way Steve Colbert idolizes Bill O'Reily.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can possibly be THAT politically devoted on a video game forum.

I think his name is meant as the punchline. You read the post, then you read his name... then it all makes sense...
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2014-02-20 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Honestly at this point I believe (hoping) that Nostop It idolizes Ted Cruz the same way Steve Colbert idolizes Bill O'Reily.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can possibly be THAT politically devoted on a video game forum.

I think his name is meant as the punchline. You read the post, then you read his name... then it all makes sense...
    OT: We're out there whether you believe it or not. I went to high school with a kid who wore a USSR flag as a cape and a beret like 2 times a week(charter school). Some people have strong beliefs early on.
    Last edited by Nostop it; 2014-02-20 at 06:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Yeah, I've seen interesting maps (like this) where it divided up the US states by population (so that each state would be equal in population/representation).

I'm not sure where I saw it. But it was a similar thing as the above, but it had the US divided up in roughly ~a dozen states. Seemed like an interesting concept.
    but what about alaska? D: Also, "Bitterroot" "High Planes" and "Great Basin" sound like places in a video game so sounds good to me. Also high five for the great state of willamette, where our lord and savior Frank West fought off the entire population of zombies by himself with nothing but a nail gun and some traffic cones :P
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

10+ Year Old Account
    What? shouldn't you be trying to make LESS states not more?
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    OT: We're out there whether you believe it or not. I went to high school with a kid who wore a USSR flag as a cape and a beret like 2 times a week(charter school). Some people have strong beliefs early on.
    real moment though. you post some satire.

The house would still give you a representative body that reflects the voting characteristics of the population. Kind of like a popular vote chamber. The Senate is more likely to be filled with just one side if there are a lot of states with close elections. A 60-40 state would have 2 democrat senators but also 6 democrat representatives and 4 republican reps.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a more complex version of Gerrymandering.

Split california into 6 states, rural California states get 2 senate seats each, which will tip the balance. It's another Republican power grab scheme like voter ID and land ownership votes.

Also, "State's rights" cries from Republicans is used more in the spirit of using it as a shield against following parts of the constitution they like than it is the original intention of state's rights. It's a blatant attack on liberties that Republicans don't agree with but the constitution guarantees.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    What? shouldn't you be trying to make LESS states not more?
    I think so. Most people dont. They want their own little state where they can do whatever they want and then cry when the Supreme Court tells them its unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    The house would still give you a representative body that reflects the voting characteristics of the population. Kind of like a popular vote chamber. The Senate is more likely to be filled with just one side if there are a lot of states with close elections. A 60-40 state would have 2 democrat senators but also 6 democrat representatives and 4 republican reps.
    Because this happens now? Sounds like you are asking for an end to gerrymandering more than advocating for the current election system.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

50 states is too even, it'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    When the Farmer unites with the Hacker it's time for a change.
    Oh noes different types of people are cooperating, it's the end of the world!

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if sales taxes went down as a result of this, would you guys support this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The Farmer is uniting with a Hacker...so that's reason to split them apart? That makes no fucking sense. You're suggesting that because different types of people are working together, the best solution is to seperate them all out into their own little spechul areas?

NO FUCKING SENSE
    If they have conflicting interests and the elected representatives end up representing only one of the sides, i think it makes perfectly sense to want to separate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Split california into 6 states, rural California states get 2 senate seats each, which will tip the balance. It's another Republican power grab scheme like voter ID and land ownership votes.

Also, "State's rights" cries from Republicans is used more in the spirit of using it as a shield against following parts of the constitution they like than it is the original intention of state's rights. It's a blatant attack on liberties that Republicans don't agree with but the constitution guarantees.
    I bet if that happened, the liberal parts of Texas would also begin to organize a similar split, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I dunno, maybe you should split it into Civilised Texas and Redneckia or something.
    Yea floating city-states among desert tribes. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Oh noes different types of people are cooperating, it's the end of the world!
    It MUST be stopped at all costs! It's too American.
    Clearly only one person can represent one people after all.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.