Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Graphics issue [Marvel Heroes]; Possible PC issue

Anyone not having performance problems? I know they are aware of it and looking into improving performance, but I just finished the main story and the game is almost unplayable in open areas/Midtown/X-defense. I checked the .ini fixes but most are outdated and not working.

Quote Originally Posted by rizbo View Post
    Anyone not having performance problems? I know they are aware of it and looking into improving performance, but I just finished the main story and the game is almost unplayable in open areas/Midtown/X-defense. I checked the .ini fixes but most are outdated and not working.
    I have no issues, at all. Not until at least 4 to 8 hours into the game, then a memory leak becomes noticeable.

The two areas you mentioned are heavy in graphics/actions. Is your computer / graphics card perhaps old? If so you might have to lower some settings. Other than that there's the memory leak that happens after entering Midtown and comes up after awhile and they did some tweaking on it this patch as I haven't had it happen much and I leave my game running even when I'm not on so the others in my group didn't get booted and have to find a new group for the 50% XP bonus.

Deleted
    Nah, it's not my PC, I run at steady 60 FPS (V-sync ON) when I'm in solo areas, but I get these hiccups/mini-freezes as soon as I'm in open areas. It's like the game has issues in loading assets (I'm using HDD btw). Other than that, yeah my FPS drops to 30-40 when there's 5+ people spamming AOE-s but that's expected and it's not bothering me. I also tried minimum settings and no improvement. I'm using GTX 650 Ti Boost btw, I think it should be able to handle this game.

Nah, it's not my PC, I run at steady 60 FPS (V-sync ON) when I'm in solo areas, but I get these hiccups/mini-freezes as soon as I'm in open areas. It's like the game has issues in loading assets (I'm using HDD btw). Other than that, yeah my FPS drops to 30-40 when there's 5+ people spamming AOE-s but that's expected and it's not bothering me. I also tried minimum settings and no improvement. I'm using GTX 650 Ti Boost btw, I think it should be able to handle this game.
    That's my previous GFX card, it used to run it pretty well, but at some point it had some overheating issues which could or could not have been caused by MH. I'm not sure.

On the issue of Loki, I've decided to go for fun and not TTK (time to kill's), so I'm picking up a few skills from the Mischief tree as my main abilities. Yeah, I'm a masochist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    That's my previous GFX card, it used to run it pretty well, but at some point it had some overheating issues which could or could not have been caused by MH. I'm not sure.
    Yeah, as I said, I highly doubt it's graphics card causing problems, and mine is not overheating. I guess it's either HDD or a processor (god damn Phenoms). Still hoping it's shitty coding and it will be patched though

Yeah, as I said, I highly doubt it's graphics card causing problems, and mine is not overheating. I guess it's either HDD or a processor (god damn Phenoms). Still hoping it's shitty coding and it will be patched though
    I wouldn't rule out overheating I'd keep an eye on the temps. I run mine on a HDD too and that doesn't cause me any issue. My graphics is the GTX 660 OC'ed version and AMD 4130 and I barely have that issue. Only time I do is when I'm in Midtown and fighting the bosses and a lot are there.

If you think it might be a CPU issue too you can go to graphics and hover over each option. Some say "CPU performance" and some say "Video Performance" just uncheck the CPU ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I wouldn't rule out overheating I'd keep an eye on the temps. I run mine on a HDD too and that doesn't cause me any issue. My graphics is the GTX 660 OC'ed version and AMD 4130 and I barely have that issue. Only time I do is when I'm in Midtown and fighting the bosses and a lot are there.

If you think it might be a CPU issue too you can go to graphics and hover over each option. Some say "CPU performance" and some say "Video Performance" just uncheck the CPU ones.
    I checked, temperature doesn't go higher than 60°C. And as I've said, I tried disabling literally everything, and I also tried what you suggested, the problem persist. I'm kinda giving up on the game for now, might check back after a patch or two to see if it's fixed.

I checked, temperature doesn't go higher than 60°C. And as I've said, I tried disabling literally everything, and I also tried what you suggested, the problem persist. I'm kinda giving up on the game for now, might check back after a patch or two to see if it's fixed.
    Yea, not sure what the issue is. Everyone I've talked to hasn't encountered any issues you have unless their PC couldn't handle it. The ones that people are having is after entering Midtown they slowly get a memory leak on occasions and have to reboot the game, but that one is being worked on.

Just to add, SSD or HDD doesn't matter for gaming. It matters to reduce the loading screens, but all ingame interactions are mostly being handled by your RAM. All MMO's of pretty much any origin (MMO in the most spreadout sense of the word; lots of people and particles in one place) require a decent amount of memory to be able to process all the objects/particles in the screen at once.

I would sooner suggest that, if it isn't your GFX card, there might be a bottleneck with your RAM. You need at least 8GB with decent speeds. I'm using 16 (2x8), so perhaps that's the reason I'm not directly noticing anything.

I'm personally running all my games off my storage, rather than my more expensive SSD's. Those are there to load windows and some particular long-loading applications. (Which currently I don't have).
    Last edited by Vespian; 2014-02-18 at 07:29 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Yea, not sure what the issue is. Everyone I've talked to hasn't encountered any issues you have unless their PC couldn't handle it. The ones that people are having is after entering Midtown they slowly get a memory leak on occasions and have to reboot the game, but that one is being worked on.
    Well, I did some more testing, and it seems my CPU temperatures actually go to 86°C (after only couple minutes of playing) which is pretty bad. I'll disassemble my whole PC and dust it off today, and see if that will help.

Just to add, SSD or HDD doesn't matter for gaming. It matters to reduce the loading screens, but all ingame interactions are mostly being handled by your RAM. All MMO's of pretty much any origin (MMO in the most spreadout sense of the word; lots of people and particles in one place) require a decent amount of memory to be able to process all the objects/particles in the screen at once.

I would sooner suggest that, if it isn't your GFX card, there might be a bottleneck with your RAM. You need at least 8GB with decent speeds. I'm using 16 (2x8), so perhaps that's the reason I'm not directly noticing anything.

I'm personally running all my games off my storage, rather than my more expensive SSD's. Those are there to load windows and some particular long-loading applications. (Which currently I don't have).
    I'm running 4GB 1333MHz, and though I'm open to the possibility that is the problem, I'm not too sure, because even when I set particles to low same thing happens. Obviously, the problem is loading assets and I had the very same thing in Diablo 3 and someone found a fix - installing O&O CleverCache and changing some setting in NVIDIA profile - which would suggest it's probably a HDD thing. Now, I tried the exact same fix here to no avail.

Anyhow, thanks for suggestions, I'll clean the PC up and test some more so we'll see

Well, I did some more testing, and it seems my CPU temperatures actually go to 86°C (after only couple minutes of playing) which is pretty bad. I'll disassemble my whole PC and dust it off today, and see if that will help.

I'm running 4GB 1333MHz, and though I'm open to the possibility that is the problem, I'm not too sure, because even when I set particles to low same thing happens. Obviously, the problem is loading assets and I had the very same thing in Diablo 3 and someone found a fix - installing O&O CleverCache and changing some setting in NVIDIA profile - which would suggest it's probably a HDD thing. Now, I tried the exact same fix here to no avail.

Anyhow, thanks for suggestions, I'll clean the PC up and test some more so we'll see
    Oof, that temperature is not a good sign, make sure you fix that asap. For a GPU, a temperature of 80+ degrees isn't really an issue, although as cool as possible is obviously better for its durability. For your CPU, that's pretty critical.

So yeah, there could definitely be a problem there.

I would _still_ suggest upgrading your RAM to 8GB. Get an EXACT copy of the current module, or if they are 2x2, replace them with 2x4. It's not that expensive anymore. Just make sure to match your speeds with what your CPU is capable of handling, otherwise you're just paying more for less.

Also; I'm no expert on any specific product, but most third party vendors that sell performance boosts, sell bloatware. Registry cleaners, Cache clears, it's all money going nowhere. Yes your PC will end up cluttered, but the best advice I can give you, just format your C drive once in a while and migrate whatever games and other material to your storage. Most games don't require registry to run and with tools like Steam around, you basically never have reconfigure anything.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2014-02-18 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When looking up my CPU Temp I have a temp overall and then a temp for each core, which matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    When looking up my CPU Temp I have a temp overall and then a temp for each core, which matters?
    The answer is both :P Idle temp is relatively unimportant, but stress temp is, run a game, check out how far it rises and if it goes beyond 80, you should take some precautions. There's actually plenty of reference to core temperatures reaching 90 degrees and being able to handle it, but personally, I feel safe when my core temps don't go above 60, maybe 70 degrees on heavy stress.

Mine currently float around 37c idle and 50 under stress with a simple Mugen2 with a Coolermaster Silent fan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay the overall top temp says Tj. Max 98C which I thought meant my CPU is at 98C so I restarted and went into bios and that says 50C, also this 98 C isn't changing at all so guessing it is not my actual temp. Cores 1-3 are all low 40s with core 0 being between 44-48 so think I'm good.

A bit worried since the fan on the front of my case broke a few days ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing it.

Deleted
    Right, cleaned it up, nothing changed ingame, CPU temp now goes up to 76°C, which is still pretty bad. Also, I monitored activity while playing MH and only CPU spikes a LOT, memory and HDD act quite smooth. Which probably leads to the conclusion my problem is indeed CPU, though I'm not sure overheating could cause these stutters because they start as soon as I enter the game, not after CPU is overheated. So, maybe Phenom II series isn't really good enough for this game.

Right, cleaned it up, nothing changed ingame, CPU temp now goes up to 76°C, which is still pretty bad. Also, I monitored activity while playing MH and only CPU spikes a LOT, memory and HDD act quite smooth. Which probably leads to the conclusion my problem is indeed CPU, though I'm not sure overheating could cause these stutters because they start as soon as I enter the game, not after CPU is overheated. So, maybe Phenom II series isn't really good enough for this game.
    A Processor Heats up really, really fast. I would recommend cleaning the cooling paste and applying new paste. Don't combine different types of paste, preferably clean it entirely. Then solidly screw back your CPU cooler. If nothing changes, I would actually advice to invest a bit of money to get it checked out at a store with people that actually know things and don't fuck around. Yeah I couldn't really put that any other way.

Actually, maybe do the store thing first, unless you normally build your own PC.

What kind of cooler is on your CPU, is it a stock CPU cooler (the one you also get when you buy a new CPU)?
    Last edited by Vespian; 2014-02-18 at 03:05 PM.

Deleted
    A Processor Heats up really, really fast. I would recommend cleaning the cooling paste and applying new paste. Don't combine different types of paste, preferably clean it entirely. Then solidly screw back your CPU cooler. If nothing changes, I would actually advice to invest a bit of money to get it checked out at a store with people that actually know things and don't fuck around. Yeah I couldn't really put that any other way.

Actually, maybe do the store thing first, unless you normally build your own PC.

What kind of cooler is on your CPU, is it a stock CPU cooler (the one you also get when you buy a new CPU)?
    I will indeed change the paste today. And yeah, I built my own PC and it's a stock cooler but that one is really really good for a stock one

10+ Year Old Account
    I will indeed change the paste today. And yeah, I built my own PC and it's a stock cooler but that one is really really good for a stock one
    I had the same issue you had not so long ago. Cleaned up everything , but nothing changed. Then a friend recommended i change the cooling paste, and voilá no problems since then. While despite similarities, our issues could be unrelated, its worth trying that.

You can fiddle with your cpu temps all you want but that will make no difference. The problem is a mixture of your HDD loading assets which is causing the random "mini-freeze" stuttering and your CPU, that you said was a Phenom, which is causing your low fps in high-action scenes (multiple players, npcs, etc..); the phenom line was released in 2007, it is now 7 years old.