Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

WoD: Disc Priest Golden Time?

So everyone knows that the beginning of Mists that Priests were a little OP with healing, just looking at the new talents, and the way everything is being scaled down, do you think Disc will be extremely viable?

No one can give you an educated answer.

Based on current healing strategies, the talent to replace Greater Heal has absolutely zero value, but I highly doubt we'll keep the current healing style of spamming.

I fully expect the new talents to change a lot. They all seem to be gamebreaking (spammable full HP void swap anyone?), or very limited in impact (trading gheal for a splash gheal is interesting enough to warrant a glyphslot, but not remotely gamechanging enough to warrant a talent). No real point in basing any future predictions on what we have seen so far.

I expect that the blizzard developers will want to do something to the shield problem. That includes both disc and paladin bubbles. They are too potent, and everyone knows this.

I also fully expect them to spectacularly fail at this, leading to another expansion of discipline dominance.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    No one can give you an educated answer.

Based on current healing strategies, the talent to replace Greater Heal has absolutely zero value, but I highly doubt we'll keep the current healing style of spamming.
    This. It's still way to early to tell. I think the start of any xpac is subject to change anyway. I agree that we likely won't be spamming, which is super.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    I fully expect the new talents to change a lot. They all seem to be gamebreaking (spammable full HP void swap anyone?), or very limited in impact (trading gheal for a splash gheal is interesting enough to warrant a glyphslot, but not remotely gamechanging enough to warrant a talent). No real point in basing any future predictions on what we have seen so far.

I expect that the blizzard developers will want to do something to the shield problem. That includes both disc and paladin bubbles. They are too potent, and everyone knows this.

I also fully expect them to spectacularly fail at this, leading to another expansion of discipline dominance.
    Paladin bubbles haven't been a problem since the start of T16 - they fall off too quickly to do anything.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Paladin bubbles have the same duration as Divine Aegis, Power Word: Shield and Spirit Shell and, if a smaller absorb, should take priority over other sources of absorption. In a 10 man scenario, most of the Illuminated Healing will go through. In 25 man the situation might well be different due to the L90 priest talents. Presuming that the latter talent issues are rectified, the absorption of both paladins and priests would still need to be toned down for any new WoD healing model.

Disc has been the best healer pretty much every patch since the start of Cata (PvE). Blizzard has tried to fix this, but doesn't seem to know how (especially since they think the answer is to give them more absorbs).

Most likely, disc priests won't be going anywhere and will be mandatory for most raid comps. I think Blizzard has done a decent job balancing DPS specs, especially between patches (although I facepalm every time a blue is like "wtf is scaling, that doesn't mean anything!"), but Blizzard doesn't seem to have a clue when it comes to balancing healing specs. Hopefully things will change in WoD, but I doubt it.

If you are trying to pick a class for WoD, Disc is safe. Life swap without a cd (that doesn't work if you have less HP than the target) seems incredibly broken for tank healing. Healing someone for 50% of their hp on an instant cast with no cd is incredibly broken, even if it does reduce healing by 10% for 10 seconds (which is nothing, even at multiple stacks... 10 seconds is so short).

I dont think the new lvl100 talents are a good indicator of... anything, really

We already know that Blizzard is going to rework smart heals in some way (starting from going to most injured to just injured, although i dont believe this is confirmed, seemed more of an idea from the blue's wording) and absorbs coverage got way out of hand during t16, so its likely this issue is getting addressed aswell

Where does all of this will leave disc, we cant know just yet, so... wait and see i guess ? But i agree with most other posters, Blizzard isnt really that good at balancing healers so you can expect it to be broken, either in positive or negative

Disc was pretty terrible at the start of MoP (luckily it was for a short period of time)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard does a fine job balancing healers, it just doesn't balance on the meters. It will always be impossible to balance healers on the meters unless they're completely homogenized. All healing specs are completely viable right now which hasn't always been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    Disc was pretty terrible at the start of MoP (luckily it was for a short period of time)
    far from it, easily able to spam PoH and cover the raid with DA for lots of healing through absorbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    far from it, easily able to spam PoH and cover the raid with DA for lots of healing through absorbs.
    that was after the fix patch around when HoF opened. disc couldn't even maintain atonement before they buffed rapture and reduced the costs of their spells.

I thought Disc priest were in their Golden Time since Cataclysm ?

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Amezea View Post
    Paladin bubbles have the same duration as Divine Aegis, Power Word: Shield and Spirit Shell and, if a smaller absorb, should take priority over other sources of absorption.
    Duration has nothing to do with why pally bubbles are not a problem and disc bubbles are.

Intensity and ease of blanketing are what makes bubbles in general out of control - pallies can only put bubbles on 6 people maximum with a single spell, disc priests do it on pretty much the entire raid with their T90 talents.

Paladin healers are downright terrible in 25 mans, which is essentially what 20 man raiding will be like in WoD and therefore will carry over their performance there.

In a 10 man scenario, most of the Illuminated Healing will go through. In 25 man the situation might well be different due to the L90 priest talents.
    It's a thread about WoD, but you are still fixated on antiquated concepts. 20 man raiding is the future, and that should be discussed.

Presuming that the latter talent issues are rectified, the absorption of both paladins and priests would still need to be toned down for any new WoD healing model.
    Disc has to be toned down; paladins definitely not, if not getting a buff to their base healing and scaling in a 20 man setting.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Disc scales really well with gear, so that's probably why some people think they were bad at the start of MoP. They have been pretty good since Cata, especially when you were decked out in some nice gear.

I think it's really hard to balance a spec that uses absorbs as opposed to heals or hots, so I'm not sure Blizz will ever get it exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Paladin healers are downright terrible in 25 mans, which is essentially what 20 man raiding will be like in WoD and therefore will carry over their performance there
    Holy pallies are no where near terrible infact they are pretty damn good in 25 HC raiding you will almost always want one in the raid, currently all healers are pretty well balanced to each other, the only thing that makes disc a little on the OP side is the extra dps it brings as if you heal content with the right amount of healing a disc will be around equal to any other skilled healer.

Holy pallies are no where near terrible infact they are pretty damn good in 25 HC raiding you will almost always want one in the raid, currently all healers are pretty well balanced to each other, the only thing that makes disc a little on the OP side is the extra dps it brings as if you heal content with the right amount of healing a disc will be around equal to any other skilled healer.
    Why would you bring one into the raid if you could help it? Shamans and Disc Priests fulfill their niche(strong tank and spot healing), while being miles superior for raid healing.

currently all healers are pretty well balanced to each other,
    No they are not. This tells us you obviously have no idea as to the current state of healers in this tier.

the only thing that makes disc a little on the OP side
    Has to be the biggest understatement of the year, disc blows every healer out of the water for pretty much every 25M fight they walk into, save maybe Malkorok, and even then they are more than sufficient to compete for a raid spot.\

a disc will be around equal to any other skilled healer.
    Good joke, and I almost took you seriously as well.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2014-02-23 at 12:56 AM.

4 completely inaccurate statements in only 3 lines. Quite the feat.

renew is removed from disc and psychic scream is changed to a level 15 talent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyumetsu View Post
    Blizzard does a fine job balancing healers, it just doesn't balance on the meters. It will always be impossible to balance healers on the meters unless they're completely homogenized. All healing specs are completely viable right now which hasn't always been the case.
    Finally somebody who gets it. The general idea of disc playstyle isn't broken at all. Its the t90 talents scaling with crit and gear snowballing in general that makes them seem op. Every healer is viable atm and thats what counts.