Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I would buy a house I think, should be a good investment.

Deleted
    Invest in a few flats I can then lease, or even some bigger project (medium sized house in a smaller city) if I can get a loan with a decent rate.
    Being an architect makes these things a hell lot easier since I know how most things work in the business.

Then in 5-10 years i'll have a more than decent monthly income and would be able to do most things I want.
    Perk : the initial 1M invested are never lost since I can at any point re sell the flats/house. Or leave it for some future hypothetical kid of mine.

Buy a million things at the dollar store.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll quit my job and the university and would live in an eternal vacation.

Die in a ball of fire and awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    No, I'm serious man. You'd rather spend a million after you've turned 60? You'd make sure you have "security" in your twilight years, rather than enjoy a million while you're still living your life? Well, I guess you have no Alzheimers in your family, or predisposition to heart disease. At least with that million you can hire someone to wipe your ass, I guess.

Me, I'll be dead in my 60s.

As someone who has a lot of medical issues, I too find it to be pointless to invest in my retirement. becides If i do make it that far, i'll be old and too tired to do anything with it.

so, I'd

buy a house-remodel for green tech ie solar power and other
    get a electric car
    travel
    then use the rest for everyday living
    I would give to family, but 1 million isn't much

Buy 16666 level 90 characters.
    Chronomancer Club

Well I'm not really wanting for anything. I will be graduating debt free so I wouldn't have to pay off student loans. Probably buy a decent little house (just to be comfortable in), a new Volkswagen (probably a Tiguan! Gotta spoil myself somehow), and continue working (graduating with a degree in elementary education soon). I would probably take a 2-3 week vacation every year out of the country to someplace like: Japan, Hawaii, or Chile. Somewhere with a lot of culture.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Why fuck the 30s and 40s? you dont need a million to live a very fulfilling live off a decent salary in your 30s and 40s, specially if you enjoy your work.
    It makes sense to use that money to perhaps buy yourself a place if you are into that sort of thing, and use the rest to allow you to retire well without having a worry about finances ever again.
    Yeah I guess you missed the point which was that your life is over when you hit 60. Well, it very well may be. For me it will be. Why would I start enjoying my last 10 years when I turn 50 if I could live my life now? We're talking about a million dollars here. We're not talking about having the need to live off of a "decent salary" in a job that you enjoy.

I don't understand this fixation with "retirement". What the hell is that all about? Who told you you should retire? Why would you want to? Be in your 60s and 70s and not be able to do anything, have aches and pains, eating pills, all kinds of physical embarrassments... This must be some cultural thing. I come from a country where old people would rather go off fighting than "enjoy retirement."

10+ Year Old Account
    Help any family members with financial worries (just help with debts etc), give a lump sum to my brother and then put the rest into savings/low-risk investment before going travelling while I decide what to do next.

I would spend a couple of thousand on a few guitars and some amps, give some to family.. buy a house somewhere outside a city and... enjoy every moment.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I guess you missed the point which was that your life is over when you hit 60. Well, it very well may be. For me it will be. Why would I start enjoying my last 10 years when I turn 50 if I could live my life now? We're talking about a million dollars here. We're not talking about having the need to live off of a "decent salary" in a job that you enjoy.

I don't understand this fixation with "retirement". What the hell is that all about? Who told you you should retire? Why would you want to? Be in your 60s and 70s and not be able to do anything, have aches and pains, eating pills, all kinds of physical embarrassments... This must be some cultural thing. I come from a country where old people would rather go off fighting than "enjoy retirement."
    Must be nice being so young.

Buy and furnish a house, pay off my student loans, go on a vacation (probably to Japan or Europe) and put the rest into my savings
    Thanks to Shyama for my beautiful signature
    Naobí 2/7 Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    401k / IRA. I want to retire young.
    I hope this statement was figurative for "I would save it" or "I would invest it." It would take you 57 years to put 1 million dollars into a 401k and you'd have to have earned 1 million dollars in that period of time.

Just sayin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    Must be nice being so young.
    I'm 34, four months from 35. I'm "so young"?

Deleted
    buy a proper house, buy a decent car, spend some on alcohol and cocaine and the rest for savings :P

Pay the taxes on the 1 mil.
    Pay off all of my wife's debt.
    Get a second car.
    Buy a house.
    Invest the rest.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Invest in taking over the world!

My folks are in their late sixties, (mother just turned 69 at the beginning of the month). My folks mountain bike about 20 miles at least 3 times a week during the spring summer and fall, and during the rest of the year do indoor activities. They travel and go on vacations constantly. My aunt and uncle who are even older just came back from one of several vacations - in the past decade they have been on an Arctic Cruise, the Amazon, Cairo, and made an attempt at sailing across the pacific, among several other tropical locales that are more mundane.

My grandparents barring one are still alive, in their 90's and 100s, and all maintain an active lifestyle.

I really don't get what is over at 60 - unless your point is that we all may die at any moment, but then that could happen in your 20's or earlier, making the age range of 30-40 rather irrelevant.

Deleted
    I'd transfer it all to my bank account and live off the interests