Upgrading 1st build, need advice!

Hey all, thanks for taking the time to look at this. Basically, i would like to upgrade what I can from my existing build. I would part everything out myself, but I don't really know what works with what. When I built my 1st one, I had a friend who lived states away and picked out the parts for me to buy. When i got em all from new egg, I built it up myself.

I would like to buy a new gaming graphics card, my current one just doesn't seem to have the juice it used to. I get a little lag in open world raids from Wow and Rift. It really runs hot too. I read that its just what this version of the cards do. Other games I play are DotA2 and whatever the FotM is. Id also like to dabble in Elder Scrolls new MMO too once it lands.

Im guessing when buying a new graphics card, I'll need to look into a new motherboard. And when I do that ill need to look into a new processor too.

My specs from cpu-z are:
    AMD Phenom II X4 955
    ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
    8GB DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    700W (Green Energy) Power Supply
    1 TB hard drive
    The site for my tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129066

Id still like to use the tower, windows 7, etc if i can. If i need to change my hard drive to an SSD or anything else over im ok with that. I hope i didn't forget anything. Thanks!

1. Whats your budget ?!
    2. Do you want to overclock or not , maybe a little bit ? (latest CPU are so Easy to overclock to 4ghz without touching voltage)
    3. An SSD , overall is a really great investement, it speed up everything , booting, starting program, loading time, files transfer, you could keep your HDD put all your media stuff on it and install windows and your main program on a SSD.
    4. Not sure about this PSU, but since is lasted that long already, I guess its not Too bad. Do you know more about it, model/brand?!
    5. Thing you should expect to upgrade to get better FPS in MMO is your CPU, especially in WoW (it doesnt really like AMD cpu in general). So you would need a new CPU and a motherboard, your RAM is still compatible with the latest Intel socket. That GTX470 is still plenty enough for WoW/Dota/Rift, but if you want to future proof your rig a little bit, I feel ya. (but thats not the first upgrade you should aim for)
    6. Things you should keep are your HDD, Case, RAM, PSU, (graphic card)
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2014-02-22 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    1. Whats your budget ?!
    2. Do you want to overclock or not , maybe a little bit ? (latest CPU are so Easy to overclock to 4ghz without touching voltage)
    3. An SSD , overall is a really great investement, it speed up everything , booting, starting program, loading time, files transfer, you could keep your HDD put all your media stuff on it and install windows and your main program on a SSD.
    4. Not sure about this PSU, but since is lasted that long already, I guess its not Too bad. Do you know more about it, model/brand?!
    5. Thing you should expect to upgrade to get better FPS in MMO is your CPU, especially in WoW (it doesnt really like AMD cpu in general). So you would need a new CPU and a motherboard, your RAM is still compatible with the latest Intel socket. That GTX470 is still plenty enough for WoW/Dota/Rift, but if you want to future proof your rig a little bit, I feel ya. (but thats not the first upgrade you should aim for)
    6. Things you should keep are your HDD, Case, RAM, PSU, (graphic card)
    I can swing a $400-700 dollar budget give or take. My card came overclocked a bit. I literally know nothing about it or how to do it. I know that overclocking will get more bang for your buck out of your card but u can strain it. That's it.

I could probably use an SSD. I think it just sounds win win win. As for the power supply i have no idea. NewEgg doesnt even have it saved in my purchase info anymore. Is their a program i can run to get the info for it? All i remember was it was a 700w power supply and it was a "green energy" one, and I'm 99% sure it was a Rosewill.

As far as the card goes its more of a future thing like u said. It runs so damn hot. I dont turn on my heat in my apartment during the winter b/c this thing just cranks it out. Sometimes i have random times were my pc will just shut down out of no where. i think its the card hitting its limit heat wise. Also, i do get some "tearing" from time to time. Its like a big "wave" more or less, nothing serious.

I didnt include an SSD, cause i couldnt fit one in your budget, anyway you can always buy one later =) With this CPU/Mobo/GPU, you will see dramatic FPS improvement in raid and open world raid boss while cranking all the details to Ultra. Although WoW is an old game and poorly optimized for modern hardware so dont expect constant 60FPS in every situation, expect FPS dip in low 30s in *some* situtation like 100++ ppl bashing on Ordos Ahaha (same story for Rift) For Dota2 you can expect insane performance, constant 60FPS on ultra For Elder scroll online im pretty sure it will handle it very well !

P.S Rosewill isnt the best brand for PSU but they still make some really good budget PSU. This build under full load should pull around 450w so its well under its rated wattage, so I wouldnt worry about it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.49 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $644.47
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-21 22:31 EST-0500)
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2014-02-22 at 03:46 AM.

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate the research you did for me! Im gonna sit down tomorrow after work and get the 3. One last thing, If u could pick a SSD, what would you go with? I might get something down the road in a month or two. I run a TB right now b/c i download all my shows/movies/music. With the SSD being what it is, does it save files differently than my regular one? Does it utilize space differently? I saw a few TB SSDs on new egg and they were really pricey. I guess what Im trying to ask is if i took all the files on my TB and put them on a new SSD, would i have more space? Or is space just space?

And lastly, Ive heard their are things I can plug my old TB HD into as a backup. Does this affect speed in anyway? And if so, what would i be looking at?