Thread: My "art" thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlisS View Post
    You look like a sad person who finds joy in trolling people as one of the very few interesting stuff happening in your life, I wont even bother with you.
    Ignore him, anyone pretentious enough to say "art without application" (paraphrasing) is the kind of wanker most people regard as terrible company.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodclot View Post
    I'm very tired but I'll try to cover all the areas you need to improve in.

I'm imagining you are quite young because the subject matter and your handling of it is very "juvenile" for lack of a better word.
    No one will take you seriously with what you've drawn here. Vary your subject matter, no over buff men and women, try some
    different characters perhaps of differing age and ethnicity. Everything is very contrived and one dimensional

Now onto technicalities. Your line is bad, its purposeless, scratchy and without decisiveness. A lines purpose is not to outline the boundaries between areas of form, it is to
    articulate the recessions and protrusions of form along with the weight and stiffness of form. A fleshy bicep swinging through the air clinging by a tendon and folding in the brachioradialis requires a totally different treatment than hair or cloth. Study how top animators handle this or
    https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...fA0KCpsEwL0x_g
    illustrated here by the best portrait artist to have ever lived (imo). Notice the fleshiness of the lips and cheeks.

Forget about colour until you can draw well, it takes 20 years to learn to draw it takes 20 minutes to learn to paint, obviously exaggerating here, but until you understand form and shape (drawing) fucking forget colour.

Your anatomy needs a LOT of work. Forget about drawing from imagination until you can name and place the origin and end of every muscle in the body from memory.
    Proportions seem inconsistent because I can't see a full figure. It generally looks like you are operating within the 7.5-8 head rule, and I can't imagine you plan that so you
    probably have a good eye actually, the arm length is way too long in some of these, but the crest of the rib cage isn't considered at all so that doesn't matter.

The "shading" looks more like colouring imo, its not "this is lit from here and this is the refraction of the light and its intensity" its more "dark here, shade" a lot of beginners make this mistake in drawing, personally I would just focus on line for a while, keep things simple.
    This may seem like a lot, but what I'm illustrating to you is that if you are pursuing art as a hobby thats great enjoy it and improve at your own leisure. If you want to pursue it more seriously, strongly consider pming me so I can steer you in the right direction because as you are heading you won't get far.

Sorry if thats all over the place, but I'm very tired.
    You know, you could have said all that without making it sound like a backhanded compliment. You're kind of what's wrong with most artists, this is a sneering post designed more to tell everyone else how good you are, how much you know, rather than help the OP. I'm not looking to argue about this, so if you reply I won't respond - I just wanted to make it clear to you, if you're going to offer to help him, do it sincerely and dispense with the immature self-aggrandising tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Deleted
    Do lots of observational drawing or if not possible (and usually not recommended) draw from photos. Draw everything including people, vehicles, scenery, buildings etc. and draw every day. Keep a little sketchbook with you and draw people whenever you can. Visit museums and draw whatever you can there: skeletons, stuffed animals, jewellery, armour, weapons, statues etc.

Try to use different materials when you draw and mix things up, particularly when it comes to lines, colour, shading. It's more about discovering what works best for you and trying to build on it. Early on it's best to try and avoid over-stylised drawings and just draw what you see, I guess you could get away with drawing manga/ superhero/ fantasy figures if they are there in front of you though. Even drawing mundane objects you have lying around the house like scissors can be good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Jajaja. Forgive me, but any General Off-Topic thread is up for discussion, not for pandering to the OP. It's my opinion that anything not S.T.E.M., Business, or Law (and some others) aren't worth pursuing by the majority of people.
    the world is a depressing place with your outlook. im glad most people arent, er, as stuffy as you.

@op, they look p good nice work

No one can become grand without first being great. I enjoyed your drawings, keep at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    For someone claiming I'm self aggrandising it seems to have completely flown over your head that maybe you are totally jumping to conclusions about the intent behind my post. You immediately dump to derision while never considering that some communication can be misconstrued via text. You also seem to have a lofty opinion of your own knowledge of "most artists" and how they are and are not as well as knowledge of my intent after one half baked post. He wants to get into concept art, I'm giving him the critique you and I both know he will receive, I'm trying to get him to consider things that I was told to consider when just beginning, so quit with the moral superiority complex. Also this is not an echo chamber so I'll respond if I feel like doing so. Besides theres nothing more grandiose and frankly arrogant than wading through text, deigning oneself so knowledgeable of artists that you can box me with "most artists" than have the temerity to say you won't bother responding to anyone who calls you out for chastising a post which had good intent. Clearly in a public forum no one
    could possibly express themselves in a manner open to interpretation, but no, you of all people should have the final say in what every post means, and the nature of every human behind it.

To the op, my advice was sincere, I am genuinely interested in every artist out there getting to where they want to go, I really wanted to make it clear how much of a task that can be though, and the commitment it takes is huge. I'd rather not hand out skype or facebook because they are personal details but if you pm me I will respond and help in what ever way I can.

The post above me gives good advice, but what ever you do draw try to develop an understanding of it, rather than just drawing it. It will help you retain it and reproduce it when needed.
    Since you seem to want it so badly, I'll address this one concern of yours.

Personally, I'd be more than happy to grind you into the dirt. But this thread is about the OP's art, and I didn't want to carry on with a lengthy argument about your apparent lack of interpersonal skills. If you'd like to start your own thread about that, I'd be happy to educate you on how civilised humans behave in decent company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    Since you seem to want it so badly, I'll address this one concern of yours.

Personally, I'd be more than happy to grind you into the dirt. But this thread is about the OP's art, and I didn't want to carry on with a lengthy argument about your apparent lack of interpersonal skills. If you'd like to start your own thread about that, I'd be happy to educate you on how civilised humans behave in decent company.
    Does not compute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very nice. I like the style you chose. Kind of a dark fantasy thing. The 3rd and 5th ones are near flawless. And I really like the first one.

To the OP: I'll start of by saying that I cannot draw for squat; my brain just won't communicate to my hands in that way. So my advice may not have as much weight as some of the other posters.

That said, a good friend of mine is an incredibly talented artist that has worked for a few gaming companies doing concept art and character modeling. He tried to give me some lessons in drawing a few years ago, but I gave up on it pretty quickly.

When I asked him how he reached the level of skill that he had, he told me that his instructor at college recommended that he take some extra classes in anatomy, biology, and technical drawing (Auto-CAD, etc). He said that by studying things like muscular structure and function, it has better enabled him to know exactly how to draw the muscles on someone in action. He also uses high-speed still photography and video as a reference source, because you can see the details of what happens in motion that the human eye can't normally see. For example, if you were to slap someone in the face and watch it on a high speed camera, you would see a complete distortion of their face during impact.

As some others have already said, try breaking out of your comfort zone and draw things that aren't pretty. I can't remember who said it, but there's a saying along the lines of "true art is in the imperfections". I have found some of the most impressive art to be that showing a subject with flaws (not just a witch with warts mind you). For example, bad complexion, a black eye, etc.

Keyboard warrior. That entire post is a contradiction. I'll leave it at this, I'm clearly not interacting with a rational human being

Besides if you could grind me into dirt, you would have done so already kid.

The post above also has some excellent points particularly towards the end.

Check out this guy for examples of the bizarre yet beautiful http://www.carloshuanteart.com/
    Wow, that is some awesome creepy stuff. I'll never be that good :'( but that is my type of art!

Lately I've been drawing some more, Here's some of my newest stuff, I think some of them are quite an improvement?

A sketch of a character from the books from Terry Goodkind Sword of truth. THis is Nicholas the slide /20 min

Something I had as an Idea and actually am not happy with the result, but I think the idea is still cool

Another upgraded old drawing, I should stop trying to polish turd...

Finally finished that Elf drawing. I think this is my best drawing so far.

The rest of my new stuffs are some sketches not worth linking, you can check them here
    http://razorbliss101.deviantart.com/gallery/

Deleted
    If you mean to seek a true improvement, hard work and all, visit conceptart.org

The people on conceptart are serious about it, many of them working for years in the industry. Absorb all the knowledge there is, it's for free. Read, read, read. Read some more. Try to apply it. Draw, draw, draw. Draw some more. Draw exercises that are aimed at improvement in specific areas. Study your objects. You seem to draw people, so study human anatomy, how the muscles contract, how the stature and weight distribution changes after each movement.

After that, post your work and get ready for a critique that will help you improve further. Repeat.

well I was like "lets visit CGhub today" and to my surprise it's closed for good... poor Ukraine

These...

http://razorbliss101.deviantart.com/...ster-253993908

http://razorbliss101.deviantart.com/...ncti-451837672

... are actually your best drawings. The more you understand why, the better off you'll be. Drawing, drawing, and more drawing. Fill a sketchbook a week. Take figure drawing classes. They exist in almost every area, and you can find workshops that aren't expensive. Hell you can even find online classes and courses from artists like Glenn Vilppu. Vary your classes though, otherwise you'll start to draw like your instructors (you can always tell a long time Vilppu student). Go to the zoo. Sit at a coffee shop. Pick an animal or human and grab all the anatomy and real life photos you can find and draw it. Then grab art about that animal and draw it. Emulate a style and then expand on it. Eventually you'll find your own style.
    All that being said, take your art seriously. Don't "dabble". It's hard enough for established artists to make a living. If you're not passionate about it, you're going to have a bad time.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ditch the anime eyes. There are millions upon millions of people's drawings on the internet with anime eyes, and they all blend together as "bland".

Now, fantasy beasts... I can always appreciate a good fantasy beast. r/ImaginaryMonsters is one of my favorite places on the internet. If you really want to continue to do humans, work on understanding facial proportions. All of your human(oid) pics have very wide nasal bridges, making them fail the uncanny valley test, which gives them their "amateur" look.

Amazing Razorbliss!

Better than my Dilbert/Peanuts/whatever style.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Maltah View Post
    These...

http://razorbliss101.deviantart.com/...ster-253993908

http://razorbliss101.deviantart.com/...ncti-451837672

... are actually your best drawings. The more you understand why, the better off you'll be. Drawing, drawing, and more drawing. Fill a sketchbook a week. Take figure drawing classes. They exist in almost every area, and you can find workshops that aren't expensive. Hell you can even find online classes and courses from artists like Glenn Vilppu. Vary your classes though, otherwise you'll start to draw like your instructors (you can always tell a long time Vilppu student). Go to the zoo. Sit at a coffee shop. Pick an animal or human and grab all the anatomy and real life photos you can find and draw it. Then grab art about that animal and draw it. Emulate a style and then expand on it. Eventually you'll find your own style.
    All that being said, take your art seriously. Don't "dabble". It's hard enough for established artists to make a living. If you're not passionate about it, you're going to have a bad time.
    It's just that I don't upload my sketches on DA, I sketch a lot lately. Most of these finished drawings are commissions or stuff for friends.
    But yeah I definitely agree that sketching alot is the way to improve fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Ditch the anime eyes. There are millions upon millions of people's drawings on the internet with anime eyes, and they all blend together as "bland".

Now, fantasy beasts... I can always appreciate a good fantasy beast. r/ImaginaryMonsters is one of my favorite places on the internet. If you really want to continue to do humans, work on understanding facial proportions. All of your human(oid) pics have very wide nasal bridges, making them fail the uncanny valley test, which gives them their "amateur" look.
    Who doesn't love a pair of breasts on a bad-ass chick
    I'm trying on a new way to improve last 4-5 days. By doing some quick face sketches from pictures and real life, It's quite hard to break stupid habits tho.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    Amazing Razorbliss!

Better than my Dilbert/Peanuts/whatever style.
    Well at-least you're having fun I've been thinking about starting comics or streaming in twitch but i'm pretty meh atm so I don't feel comfortable about it. Someday!
    Last edited by RazorBlisS; 2014-09-06 at 09:34 PM.

Since we are sharing art, I will show some of my latest stuff.

a 250 dollar commission

my latest piece

a fairly popular piece I uploaded

http://xsereneix.deviantart.com/
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-09-07 at 05:57 AM.

I came here expect art, I was not disappointed. Too bad I am nowhere near your level at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

@OP nice concepts, but I want to see them very well refined, like with stronger more accurate shading, quality line and such. I could see what they would look like when fully polished after 60-200 hours of work, also do not fear adding emotion into the pieces These so far are good roughs.

Have you heard of Cubebrush? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKt...0yryIy6zK4ZCg?

hes style is similar to yours, perhaps you could learn a few from him I definitely learned from him.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-09-07 at 06:07 AM.