A few rogue "mastering" questions

Hiya folks

Having recently gotten a rogue alt, i finally got most rotations/reactions/etc sorted (im Assasination btw), and had a few experiences during combat that made me wonder what the best option would be. So hopefully you can clear these up for me.

1. Sometimes (usually in burn/lust phases), i get to a point where (1) i have 5 + 5 combo points (2) envenom and rupture are at max (3) i got +bonus combo points cooldown (i.e. shadow blades) active (4) im approaching max energy, so can't pool. What would be my priority in this case? Right now i just kinda panic, and i think that gimps me quite a bit

2. The Redirect sometimes glitches for me. I might kill a mob, leaving 5 combo points on it, and then would not be able to redirect to another mob (You need to have combo points to use this yada yada). Other times it works fine. Could someone clarify this for me please, it keeps confusing me

3. there was something else, but it flew out of my head as i was writing this >.> I'll update this when i remember it.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Anakonda; 2014-02-22 at 02:31 PM.
    We dream, we dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    Hiya folks

Having recently gotten a rogue alt, i finally got most rotations/reactions/etc sorted (im Assasination btw), and had a few experiences during combat that made me wonder what the best option would be. So hopefully you can clear these up for me.

1. Sometimes (usually in burn/lust phases), i get to a point where (1) i have 5 + 5 combo points (2) envenom and rupture are at max (3) i got +bonus combo points cooldown (i.e. shadow blades) active (4) im approaching max energy, so can't pool. What would be my priority in this case? Right now i just kinda panic, and i think that gimps me quite a bit

2. The Redirect sometimes glitches for me. I might kill a mob, leaving 5 combo points on it, and then would not be able to redirect to another mob (You need to have combo points to use this yada yada). Other times it works fine. Could someone clarify this for me please, it keeps confusing me

3. there was something else, but it flew out of my head as i was writing this >.> I'll update this when i remember it.

Cheers!
    1. if you have 5+5 combo points, envenom and rupture don't need refreshing and you are about to cap energy you need to envenom to be able to use that energy. Envenom damage -> doing nothing. if you use a combo gen you waste the combo points and half the energy (since its way overpriced for just damage) when you use envenom even at 2-3 second left you lose 1-2 seconds of its time which isn't really a dps loss in such a situation, well at least not as much a dps loss as capping energy

2. Corpse are often a mess... some mobs will retain combo points, some mobs turn to dust and you lose the combo points. for instance: in pvp if you kill a player you retain the combo point on the corpse but if he release or you remove insignia you lose them.

3. Fly after it! use your mount!

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    Hiya folks

Cheers!
    1. If absolutely NOTHING can be refreshed and you still have envenom buff, clip it. It's ok to in that case.

2. It sometimes glitches for me as well. Not sure if blizz is aware of it and im too lazy to make a ticket to talk to a GM about it.

3. cant help you there lol

The redirect bug usually happens with mobs that not only die, but disappear as well (e.g. megaera heads). There's nothing you can do except knowing on which ones it can happen and either spend your combopoints beforehand or just be prepared for that to happen.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    Try not to overcomplicate it. When spending your CP, your priority is to maintain Rupture, maintain Envenom, and then to do damage. Since envenom isn't just a buff, when you're overflowing with energy and CP, don't worry about clipping it. The only loss in clipping envenom is that, when you run out of energy and CP, you lose envenom uptime later. If you've got 55 energy per second (exaggeration for ease), you'll NEVER lose envenom, so feel free to clip at will.

Disappearing corpses suck. End of story.

Thanks guys

A few more questions came up

1. When i have a +combo points booster on (say shadow blades), do i still have same prio in terms of builder/finisher, or does it become better to "build up" more so as to make better use of the booster?

2. I know that if rupture is about to run out, it's better to refresh it with less points than to let it drop and wait until 5. However what about envenom buff? Let's say my envenom has 0.5 sec left, and im at 3 combo points, do i refresh it at 3/4, or do i let it drop and refresh it at 5 anyway?
    We dream, we dream.

1. Try to have as many combopoints as possible when the cooldown expires (including anticipation charges). The rest isn't affected.

2. Try and bank combopoints so that you can always refresh rupture at 5 combopoints. If you find yourself having to refresh with less, do so, the main advantage of rupture comes in the form of venomous wounds + energy regen. Only envenom at 5 combopoints though (4+ if you don't have anticipation).
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You do not envenom at less than 5 combopoints, because you would never be able to have a 100 % uptime no matter how hard you try.