Deleted

running with mouse + putting down spheres = really annoying

So I've been steering my characters with my mouse forever and I recently started a monk. When I'm playing a melee class, both of my mouse buttons are constantly held down to stick on my target (PvP).

I ALSO love the monk class and my preferred spec is Windwalker. While fighting another player with Expel Harm on cd, I'm trying to heal myself with spheres while sticking on my target to land autohits etc.. Now this is a big problem because the other player is constantly on the move and with the super small hit range (latency etc.) of a monk, I HAVE to move all the time. So both of my mouse buttons are held down.

How do I put a sphere underneath me without having to stand still for a second? Because having to stand still is really annoying.

Have you bound W to move forward as a monk? I suppose this is the only solution. Or is it?

How did you solve this problem?

Use mouse4 or mouse 5 for this? If you don't have more than 3 buttons in your mouse, it's time to upgrade. Or maybe use autorun?

Put it slightly in front of you when you can, and you can just run through it.

I tend to strafe, hold W or auto run as well as both mouse buttons so it probably doesn't hinder me as much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakuski View Post
    Use mouse4 or mouse 5 for this? If you don't have more than 3 buttons in your mouse, it's time to upgrade. Or maybe use autorun?
    it's all about clicking on the ground. of course I have sphere bound to a key but the problem with running with your mosue is that you can no longer click, as both buttons are already held down.

I have a confused business where my hands switch between W-for-forward, and mouse buttons for forward as the situation dictates. I just kinda stumbled into it, though, so it's pretty worthless info.

I have spheres hotkeyed, and even with all that I feel like the mechanic is SUPER annoying. Perhaps the intent is that we are supposed to be somewhat rooted for them.

Deleted
    my solution at the moment is:

moving with both mouse buttons held down -> jump -> release both mouse buttons -> hit sphere -> click under your character -> land with both mouse buttons held down again to move. I guess I could get used to this but it's still annoying or rather inconvenient.

Deleted
    They're removing the spell in Warlords, so that kills the problem fairly soon. I hope we'll retain some ability to heal other players as WW and BrM beyond the lvl 30 talents, though. Celestalon said they'd compensate elsewhere, but I suspect it'll be mainly self-healing.

how do you strafe if you only use the mouse? IMO you should learn to steer with both the keyboard and mouse. It is fine if you use the mouse more dominantly but there are many situations where the mouse needs to be used for other things.

Interesting that Healing Sphere is getting ditched. Like a couple of abilities in our class, the -idea- is good (dropping heals around the environment), the -execution- just needed some refinement. I hope FoF and SEF stick around, and just get a much-needed brush-up.

Quote Originally Posted by paraalso View Post
    They're removing the spell in Warlords, so that kills the problem fairly soon. I hope we'll retain some ability to heal other players as WW and BrM beyond the lvl 30 talents, though. Celestalon said they'd compensate elsewhere, but I suspect it'll be mainly self-healing.
    ... really? Why? Is this considered "ability bloat"? Because I use this ability all the time, and I have no idea how they'll compensate.

Then again, I almost never run with the mouse. Turn, yes, but not run.... I always use the keyboard for running/strafing, mostly because I find using the mouse to run to be incredibly limiting.

This fills me with a great deal of dread, actually.. I was kinda looking forward to them trying to fix ability bloat, but this is *not* what I was expecting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    how do you strafe if you only use the mouse? IMO you should learn to steer with both the keyboard and mouse. It is fine if you use the mouse more dominantly but there are many situations where the mouse needs to be used for other things.
    mouse to turn A and D to strafe

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    ... really? Why? Is this considered "ability bloat"? Because I use this ability all the time, and I have no idea how they'll compensate.

Then again, I almost never run with the mouse. Turn, yes, but not run.... I always use the keyboard for running/strafing, mostly because I find using the mouse to run to be incredibly limiting.

This fills me with a great deal of dread, actually.. I was kinda looking forward to them trying to fix ability bloat, but this is *not* what I was expecting.
    According to Celestalon, it's basically due to the size of the placement and lacency issues.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We're removing it because of the bad gameplay it provided, despite its power. Again, other changes will account for this loss. (Celestalon)

If by bad gameplay you mean people spamming it in PvP to live VS 4-5 people then why not add charges to it?
    The aiming it is the gameplay problem. Intention was to place them ahead of time and pick them up when you need them.
    (Celestalon)

Does that mean you are also looking at removing/changing other ground target reticule type abilities?
    Healing Sphere was spam clicking on an intended target's feet, trying to account for their movement and latency, tight hit area. (Celestalon)
    Nothing else was like that. (Celestalon)

priest feathers?
    Similar, but not nearly as bad. (Celestalon)

Aren't things like Wild Mushrooms and arguably even Healing Rain/Earthquake kind of a lot like that?
    No, not even remotely close. Healing Spheres require literally 20x the frequency and 11x the accuracy, than Healing Rain. (Celestalon)

You understand this will nerf mistweavers to be able to heal in a smoke bomb?
    Of course. That's a good thing. (Celestalon)
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2014-02-23 at 11:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    I've been dreading them "fixing ability bloat" since Ghostcrawler started talking about it a long time ago. Especially when they said in one of the recent interviews that they plan to cut about 20% abilities from all classes. I can't think of that many monk abilities to remove without getting rid of some really important stuff.

We have about 35 abilities give or take a few depending on what you count, so 20% would be around 7 abilities. Some things I suspect might be on their list:

- Healing Sphere has been confirmed
    - Disable is almost certainly one. Probably combined to either Blackout Kick or Tiger Palm. They're doing it with Hamstring reportedly
    - Grapple Weapon is likely if warriors are losing disarm
    - Paralysis is possible with the talk of removing cc from classes
    - Avert Harm will probably go, unless it's combined with something else.
    - I fear they might remove Crackling Jade Lightning from WW and BrM, but I really hope not. Having a ranged attack is very useful at times. WW might lose Spinning Fire Blossom
    - Clash is possible considering it's a bit buggy. I think it's really useful though
    - Detox?
    - Touch of Death?
    - Zen Meditation? Would be awful to lose it.
    - Statue of the Ox is possible. They might make it passive, but we'd lose our aoe taunt.

Those are the ones I think are in the greatest danger. Some of them would be tolerable, others horrible to lose. I guess we'll see how bad it is when they publish the patchnotes.
    Last edited by mmoc7960b93d6c; 2014-02-23 at 11:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paraalso View Post

- Grapple Weapon is likely if warriors are losing disarm
    they are removing disarms? amazing!

It's a pretty standard thing with anything you cast on the move really. Moving with your mouse has never been the most optimal way to play the game, especially if you use mouseover macros.

That was my biggest struggle going from melee dps to healer, because as a melee I could do everything with my mouse to move and all my attacks with my left hand.

I'm still resisting, but I think I'll have to eventually relearn to play and struggle for a couple of weeks and learn to move with WASD and probably use my G600 I've been avoiding like the plague since I find it too easy to do fat fingers mistakes on it.