Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I dont know if this will be helpful but have you tried the formula (probably wrong name since i dont have excel here ill probably test it when I get home) solver I think its called? It explains step by step the order of operations and how excel got to the result maybe then you'll see whats going wrong.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2014-02-25 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Well I have figured out the problem, but it's slightly more complex than I thought. These monthly arrangements are on accounts that are charged-off, making the full balance do. This means that all payments will be applied towards principle first. The problem with the formula in D17 is that it's caluclating a term for "x" months, when in reality you will accrue interest for less than X as the principle will be paid off prior to any fees.

The formula in L7 works properly as it will calculate a term that doesn't disperpse principle over the whole time. The difficult part is finding a formula that calculates and amortization on a principle first payment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forget everything I said before it was stupid, but how about you do calculations separately for each of of them the PV which is 12000 and fees which dont acrue interest which are 4000 I managed to get the NPER of both calculations to equal to 30 payments of ~133.33 and ~483.82 then you just add the amounts and you have 30 payments of the sum of both amounts which is ~617.15.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2014-02-25 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Forget everything I said before it was stupid, but how about you do calculations separately for each of of them the PV which is 12000 and fees which dont acrue interest which are 4000 I managed to get the NPER of both calculations to equal to 30 payments of ~133.33 and ~483.82 then you just add the amounts and you have 30 payments of the sum of both amounts which is ~617.15.
    That's what I did originally, but it still is slightly off. Since all payments are applied to directly to interest first, you don't actually end up accruding interest for the full term. So, the problem lies in to me needing to calculate the payment, without knowing the exact term ahead of time of how long we'll be paying on principal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then idk it sounds to me as if you are trying to get 2 variables at the same time when one of them has to be given. Either the amount each customer can pay each month( which will vary from customer to customer but reduce the amount of payments) or a fixed amount of payments (which will be ridiculous for small amounts unless you do a scale starting in a small number like 12 that increases the number of payments with the size of the debt up to your 30 monthly payment cap). I think there should be a way to make a working table that does what you want but I don't study finances or anything similar that could be of help.

Deleted
    Look, I'll be honest with you. There are far better places to ask for this, the best of which is Stack Overflow. http://stackoverflow.com/ has one of the best communities and help services: concise, to the point, knowledgeable and usually fast. They often know the small bugs in software like this that cause stuff like this.