View Poll Results: Is the US hypocritical for criticizing Russian laws?

Voters
139. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

66 47.48%
  • No.

57 41.01%
  • America is a republic and it's my right to watch my neighbour commit hate crimes.

16 11.51%
Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Russia Today: Homophobic hate crimes up 70% amidst media blackout.

In the United States.

(EDIT: Just for clarification, I am well aware that the Russians are propagandists extraordinaire, but this is what they are saying about the US, and some of it is in fact half-truth)

Is this true America?

Just a few bullet points:

-Homosexuals being arrested and deemed sex offenders in some states ("Bag-a-fag operations").
    -Kansas Law allowing homosexuals to be refused POLICE AND HOSPITAL service.
    -In the last 3 years 4,476 hate crimes against LGBT community in United States vs. 18 in Russia?
    -Massive public shaming of LGBT pro athletes at baseball games.

I am absolutely sickened by this video and am seriously considering cancelling the road trip to the US that I have planned this summer out of protest.

But my questions to Americans would be, "Is this true?" And "How can you sit on your high horse about Russian laws when this is going on in your own borders.?"

My big question is, in light of what is revealed in this video; is the US hypocritical in criticizing Russian Laws?
    Last edited by Gheld; 2014-02-24 at 05:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    In the United States.

Is this true America?

Just a few bullet points:

-Homosexuals being arrested and deemed sex offenders in some states ("Bag-a-fag operations").
    -In the last 3 years 4,476 hate crimes against LGBT community in United States vs. 18 in Russia?

I am absolutely sickened by this video and am seriously considering cancelling the road trip to the US that I have planned this summer out of protest.

But my questions to Americans would be, "Is this true?" And "How can you sit on your high horse about Russian laws when this is going on in your own borders.?"

My big question is, in light of what is revealed in this video; is the US hypocritical in criticizing Russian Laws?
    That alone tells me it is bullshit, only 18 hate crimes in 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I know RT is Putin's English speaking YouTube mouth piece, but Russia also doesn't run into a firefight with an unloaded weapon. There's probably a lot of truth to what they are saying about the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, yes we are. It's just the Red Scare all over again--we're making a great show of how we're so not like Russia. Back then it was all about being Christian to counter Russia's atheism, and capitalist and how communism was the downfall of society. These days, we're going on and on about how tolerant we are and how horrible Russia is for its anti-gay laws while we have a law that just got pushed through Arkansas that allows discrimination and refusal of service toward gays on religious grounds, even for emergency response, law enforcement, and medical treatment.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Yes, yes we are. It's just the Red Scare all over again--we're making a great show of how we're so not like Russia. Back then it was all about being Christian to counter Russia's atheism, and capitalist and how communism was the downfall of society. These days, we're going on and on about how tolerant we are and how horrible Russia is for its anti-gay laws while we have a law that just got pushed through Arkansas that allows discrimination and refusal of service toward gays on religious grounds, even for emergency response, law enforcement, and medical treatment.
    That part is really what's too fucked up to be true. Is that just one possible interpretation of nebulous wording or actually specifically stated in the law?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know RT is Putin's English speaking YouTube mouth piece, but Russia also doesn't run into a firefight with an unloaded weapon. There's probably a lot of truth to what they are saying about the US.
    How many openy gay members does Russia have in parliament? How many does US have in congress? Jason Collins just signed with Brooklyn Nets...

I'd like to see someone argue the western media gay agenda versus this snipet's assertion of media silence in issues hurting the gay community...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I don't think so at all. Yeah people hate gays but the way Russia is handling it is worse. SURE Arizona and a few other states are trying to turn back the clock on America and make the country a nation of bigotry and hate disguised as freedom for a certain thing we don't discuss on MMO. But i never really see any abundance of gay hate in the U.S besides by the groups we don't discuss. The U.S is on its way to becoming like Russia if people don't smarten the fuck up though.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

a law that just got pushed through Arkansas that allows discrimination and refusal of service toward gays on religious grounds, even for emergency response, law enforcement, and medical treatment.
    Which is why it will be overturned.
    An on duty Cop/EMT can't discriminate in service. It's highly illegal and usually will result in termination and loss of their liscence and so on.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    These days, we're going on and on about how tolerant we are and how horrible Russia is for its anti-gay laws while we have a law that just got pushed through Arkansas that allows discrimination and refusal of service toward gays on religious grounds, even for emergency response, law enforcement, and medical treatment.
    Which will be challenged in court and ruled unconstitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    It's not a hate crime to beat an animal to death. Which i am sure is how they dance around it, if you want to rationalize clear bullshit. lol.

OH this is a Canadian who is the OP.
    Oh that makes this whole thread funny.
    Should we not go to van this year cause it's turned into what looks like an extreme fundy middle eastern nation with all the acid being thrown in peoples faces, cause the TV told me so?
    come on.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2014-02-24 at 04:50 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

But what about the part about so called "bag-a-fag" stings by the police? Are homosexuals being arrested for sodomy and being deemed sex offenders in the United States? If so your status as a first world country should be revoked.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's probably a lot of truth to what they are saying about the US.
    You can be perfectly truthful with one side of a comparison, but still be lying with the other half.

1. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some south states are ignoring Lawrence v. Texas.

2. It was a bill, not a law. It got shot down in the Senate.

3. The USA number is accurate, but I rather suspect the Russia one is fiction

4. As far as I'm aware, there are currently zero openly gay players in the MLB, so I'm not sure what this is about.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

But what about the part about so called "bag-a-fag" stings by the police? Are homosexuals being arrested for sodomy and being deemed sex offenders in the United States? If so your status as a first world country should be revoked.
    Dude come on now.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have openly gay politicians, athletes, celebrities... If anything like that was remotely not a couple of assholes, there are very obvious targets...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    What is with this poll....?

No the U.S. is not hypocritical, we are a hell of a lot more welcoming of gays than Russia and many countries around the world. It's amazing how every thread that has to do with homosexuality on this forum somehow devolves into a bashing of the U.S.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    We have openly gay politicians, athletes, celebrities... If anything like that was remotely not a couple of assholes, there are very obvious targets...
    You are talking about a guy here who thinks 13 of a kind of crime a year is a valid number when you cast it out among millions of people. lol
    And a person who can't google with a mental filter apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    As far as I'm aware, there are currently zero openly gay players in the MLB, so I'm not sure what this is about.
    I watch a lot of sports, be it baseball is my least favorite, but in light of Michael Sam, I doubt that sorta thing would be kept quiet. Like I said, Jason Collins played for the Nets last night with no such outbursts.

I'd like an example of these "bag a fag" stings. You have stupid billboards up saying calling someone a fag in a video game is a crime against their gender expression. I'm not sure that our extreme PC society in the states is going to be able to harbor a vast conspiracy of people "bagging fags".

The whole post is just odd. It's reminiscent of the "jew conspiracy" that people push around. If stuff was this dystopian and scary in the states, even if it was remote and specific, you would have a trickle down effect that would show itself in nearby communities. Nothing like that could be blocked out with 100% certainty. We are so PC compliant now that the second anything even hinting at this was found to be remotely true it would be a media clusterfuck with every channel trying to get ratings for their commercials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    You are talking about a guy here who thinks 13 of a kind of crime a year is a valid number when you cast it out among millions of people. lol
    And a person who can't google with a mental filter apparently.
    I think if people are going to compare Russia and US on treatment of it's people in modern history, it should start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Politkovskaya

10+ Year Old Account
    Yawn. As an Aussie homo, I'd rather live anywhere in the US if the alternative was living in the best Moscow or St. Petersburg has to offer. Putin can flail and gnash his teeth all he wants, he's still the face of a toothless shithole. Let him have his propaganda, his people don't even have drinkable tap water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss