Deleted

3vs3 team tactics and strategy tips

Hello, we are a new 3vs3 team looking for tips how improve our play.

We do play Holy priest (me), rogue and warrior/monk. We are friends irl and team comp won’t change as we all like what we play.

Me and the rogue have played 2vs2 since woltk and have a rating around 2100. We are still not sure how we should/could play in 3vs3. What we mostly do now is that rogue takes the healer and he focuses more on cc, while our warrior/monk do attack their most annoying champ (hunter, mage, warlock), our rating is around 1700.

We are looking for tactics and strategy tips.

I can still not add links
    our champ name (tarren-mill): Káyle, illumine, songarr, katastro

Wait till the new season hits > wait for the rogue to get fully geared > blow people up in the opener.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-02-25 at 10:48 AM.

To be honest, very rarely will splitting damage work nowadays. There's too much self healing and short CD defensives to get through. I will say though, that strategy could work, but your Rogue should be Combat for it. If he's combat and you're splitting damage, have your Rogue sit the healer, have your Warrior sit a DPS, get the DPS to ~50% or so, then 7sec Kidney the healer, have your Rogue shadowstep to the kill target, bomb, and use Killing Spree (which does crazy damage, by the way), if the healer trinkets the Kidney then your Priest can full fear for 8 seconds, and that should be pretty good.

Personally, I'd just have the Rogue stick to a Sub build, and both attack the same target. Could be a healer, could be a DPS, I'd probably attack healers if it's a Resto Shaman or a Holy Paladin, and I'd attack a DPS if it's anything else. Holy Priest Mass Dispel means Mages are easy kill targets, keep that in mind.

But really, I think if both DPS attack the same target that would help a lot. Splitting damage just won't work against any half decent team, it's really not hard to heal through damage when it's split on two targets like that. You could probably get about 1900-2000 doing it, but don't expect more than that. Priest/Rogue/Monk or Warrior isn't a strong comp, and it's easily countered. You can definitely break 1800, and definitely break 1900, but don't expect to get Glad, or even really Duelist, running that comp. No matter what you do, that's probably not going to happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    To be honest, very rarely will splitting damage work nowadays. There's too much self healing and short CD defensives to get through. I will say though, that strategy could work, but your Rogue should be Combat for it. If he's combat and you're splitting damage, have your Rogue sit the healer, have your Warrior sit a DPS, get the DPS to ~50% or so, then 7sec Kidney the healer, have your Rogue shadowstep to the kill target, bomb, and use Killing Spree (which does crazy damage, by the way), if the healer trinkets the Kidney then your Priest can full fear for 8 seconds, and that should be pretty good.

Personally, I'd just have the Rogue stick to a Sub build, and both attack the same target. Could be a healer, could be a DPS, I'd probably attack healers if it's a Resto Shaman or a Holy Paladin, and I'd attack a DPS if it's anything else. Holy Priest Mass Dispel means Mages are easy kill targets, keep that in mind.

But really, I think if both DPS attack the same target that would help a lot. Splitting damage just won't work against any half decent team, it's really not hard to heal through damage when it's split on two targets like that. You could probably get about 1900-2000 doing it, but don't expect more than that. Priest/Rogue/Monk or Warrior isn't a strong comp, and it's easily countered. You can definitely break 1800, and definitely break 1900, but don't expect to get Glad, or even really Duelist, running that comp. No matter what you do, that's probably not going to happen.
    Hello, thanks for the tips, I was wondering what is a strong comp and why would they be strong

War/Rogue will be strong in full gear with the tactic of opening people with every button. the warriors basically there to buff the rogue with skull banner though!

Quote Originally Posted by Nokke View Post
    Hello, thanks for the tips, I was wondering what is a strong comp and why would they be strong
    Strong comps have more synergy in terms of different CC groups, like the classic RMP (rogue: blind, stun; mage: poly, root; priest: fear) or TSG (ironically named after their CC: throwdown, strangle, gnaw), insane burst like the ancient beast cleave (BM hunter and enh shaman) just popping Bestial Wrath, Feral Spirit and Bloodlust in your face or synergy between spells like warlocks providing dispel protection for dots and CC.
    However strong comps often revolve around the current FotM classes and the seasons meta game. Holy priest is better than disc as getting a spell kicked easily leads to a loss and since you don't have to cast as holy it is better, yet still trumped by rdruids and shamans.

Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    TSG (ironically named after their CC: throwdown, strangle, gnaw).
    That's not what it stands for. It's an acronym for Teh Super Gosus, the name of one of the first teams that ever ran this comp to high rating (consisting of Zilea, Veex, and Valrath).

Obviously there are hilarious variants because of how the comp works, such as;

Train Strangulate Gnaw
    Train Squishy Guy
    The Super Gays
    Totally Stupid Garbage
    Truly Skilled Group
    Ten Second Game

This comp got a lot of negative publicity particularly during Seasons 8 & 9; Season 8 because having two Shadowmourne's in the comp turned arena into a globalfest and Season 9 because Warriors subsequently happened to be overpowered.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-02-25 at 01:51 PM.

We played ret-rogue-healer last season (not at 2.1k ) and we asked ourselves this question a lot. To split or not to split ...

As the healer, I didn't like splitting the dps. As often as not, what would happen is one of the melee would over-extend which would draw me into a vulnerable position. I'd either get chained or swapped to, and that was that. From a healer's pov, it felt easier to do my job when the melee were on the same target.

The reason we sometimes did split was b/c the rogue felt capable of soloing some healers (again, we weren't 2.1k). Once he gets geared, I suspect he will feel that way again this season.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinsoul View Post
    We played ret-rogue-healer last season (not at 2.1k ) and we asked ourselves this question a lot. To split or not to split ...

As the healer, I didn't like splitting the dps. As often as not, what would happen is one of the melee would over-extend which would draw me into a vulnerable position. I'd either get chained or swapped to, and that was that. From a healer's pov, it felt easier to do my job when the melee were on the same target.

The reason we sometimes did split was b/c the rogue felt capable of soloing some healers (again, we weren't 2.1k). Once he gets geared, I suspect he will feel that way again this season.
    I do understand that, have happened to me alot of times, but I do still like split more, because as a healer it is hard to survive 2vs1 for too long and when 1 of our team focus their dps it makes it much easier to survive and control the game.

I would like to thanks everyone for their comments, I learned alot about 3vs3 and will hopefully try new things tommorow