My first PC build Need feedback

Hey saw everyone was posting on here to ask for feedback and help on builds. So if someone could take a look at it and give me there 2 cents. Thanks!

I will not be doing any kind of Overclocking. No idea how to do it and don't feel like messing with it.
    My budget: 1500
    What I'll be running on the PC: Games, Streaming, Video editing, PS and Blender(every once in a while)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($297.99 - NCIX US)
    • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 - Microcenter)
    • Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.69 - OutletPC)
    • Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 - Microcenter)
    • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.50 - Newegg)
    • Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 - Amazon)
    • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 - Amazon)
    • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($509.99 - NCIX US)
    • Case: Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 - Mwave)
    • Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($92.68 - Amazon)
    • Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 - OutletPC)
    • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.98
      Total: $1479.76
    Last edited by Dioz; 2014-02-25 at 03:20 PM.

Please don't buy anything based on my crappy knowledge, but it looks fine. Some of your parts are a little overkill, but with your large budget I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 120 GB SSD and I really wish I went with a 250. I'm fairly certain you don't need a CPU cooler if you're not going to overclock and since you went with the 4770 (No K) I don't believe you'll even have the option.

Again I'm not one of the power users, but I figured I'd give you some feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    At that budget, you're really only hurting yourself by not overclocking. That, and you're getting an OC board to go with it soooo..

Also, a Gold PSU isn't useful. You can easily get a nice XFX 550 or a Seasonic modular 520 Bronze. I'd also recommend a Samsung 840 Evo over the Kingston.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    At that budget, you're really only hurting yourself by not overclocking. That, and you're getting an OC board to go with it soooo..

Also, a Gold PSU isn't useful. You can easily get a nice XFX 550 or a Seasonic modular 520 Bronze. I'd also recommend a Samsung 840 Evo over the Kingston.
    Thanks for the reply guys.

My reason for not OC is because I have read the life of your piece of hardware decreases, your warranty is voided. I'm looking to build something that will last me a good while. I don't plan on buying a new PC/Parts every year unless its needed.

Should I get a different board then? If so what do you recommend.
    Will a 550 or 520 PSU be enough? Or am i missing something? The Nvidia site states PSU minimum 600 watt or greater power supply with 42 amps on the +12 volt rail. That's why I went with a 650. Or am I missing something? The Samsung 840 Evo I'm hearing alot about this SSD so I will definitely switch to it plus its cheaper.

As for the CPU cooler I understand that the stock fan is enough If im not going to OC. But I have read most of them are not that good/loud. So i went with what I think is a good+cheap upgrade for the CPU cooler.
    Last edited by Dioz; 2014-02-25 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My reason for not OC is because I have read the life of your piece of hardware decreases, your warranty is voided
    Largely nope. I mean, if your CPU is going to literally last 10-15 years, it might be reduced to like.. 9-14. You'll have long replaced it by then.

And the OC cpus are literally built for it, and it's seriously hard to damage them. There is a $25 "protection plan" but not only have I never heard of someone killing their CPU via OC any time recently, but they have no way to check. Basically, it's a non-issue.

Will a 550 or 520 PSU be enough? Or am i missing something? The Nvidia site states PSU minimum 600 watt or greater power supply with 42 amps on the +12 volt rail. That's why I went with a 650. Or am I missing something?
    It's not so much the "650" part but the "Gold" part... It costs more for little (see: negative) benefit. You spent $20 to save $5, effectively. They overstate that because they assume you'll buy a crappy PSU. That setup literally won't break 350w at 100% load, which you'll pretty much never hit anyway.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dioz View Post
    I'm looking to build something that will last me a good while.
    That's exactly why you should get a K-series CPU, so you can overclock it either now (or down the road) to get a bit more life out of it. The whole "shorter lifespanz!" thing is largely moot because CPU's have crazy long lifetimes, I'm talking 10-15+ years.
    The only stories I've heard of people killing their CPU with overclocking are extreme enthusiasts attempting record-breaking overclocks...they don't care about the chip dying lol. That's not you

Should I get a different board then? If so what do you recommend.
    Board is fine, ASRock Extreme series is great. Any mobo from Asus, ASRock or Gigabyte is good in my books.

Will a 550 or 520 PSU be enough? Or am i missing something? The Nvidia site states PSU minimum 600 watt or greater power supply with 42 amps on the +12 volt rail. That's why I went with a 650. Or am I missing something?
    With that build I would recommend staying above 600w for good efficiency. An OC'd 4770K + OC'd 780 is going to suck a bit of power. Anything from Seaonic or Corsair is excellent. The whole "gold-certified" thing only tends to mean ridiculous price tags, with those companies you KNOW you are getting a good unit no matter what it is. Corsair 600/650w, XFX 600/650w, Seasonic 620w, etc are some recommendations.

As for the CPU cooler I understand that the stock fan is enough If im not going to OC. But I have read most of them are not that good/loud. So i went with what I think is a good+cheap upgrade for the CPU cooler.
    Hyper212 is good, you'll be fine with it for now and should be able to squeeze out a moderate OC on 4770K within acceptable temps. Can always upgrade to something beefier later, that CPU is going to last you a long time
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Largely nope. I mean, if your CPU is going to literally last 10-15 years, it might be reduced to like.. 9-14. You'll have long replaced it by then.

And the OC cpus are literally built for it, and it's seriously hard to damage them. There is a $25 "protection plan" but not only have I never heard of someone killing their CPU via OC any time recently, but they have no way to check. Basically, it's a non-issue.

It's not so much the "650" part but the "Gold" part... It costs more for little (see: negative) benefit. You spent $20 to save $5, effectively. They overstate that because they assume you'll buy a crappy PSU. That setup literally won't break 350w at 100% load, which you'll pretty much never hit anyway.
    Interesting, So lets says you talked me into OC because its so easy even a monkey can do it and wont break it. If I swapped out the old PSU with a XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified. Also changed the CPU to a Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor. Since "you talked me into OC". Now the set up is sitting at a total $1459.03. Should I change the current CPU Cooler(Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, So lets says you talked me into OC because its so easy even a monkey can do it and wont break it. If I swapped out the old PSU with a XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified.
    Need more, with everything overclocked (and 780 overclocks a LOT) you can easily touch ~450w+ so grab a 600-650w XFX/Corsair/Seasonic.
    Also changed the CPU to a Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor.
    Yay
    Should I change the current CPU Cooler(Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?
    It should be fine for a moderate OC, depends on the chip really. If you want something beefier then grab either a Corsair H60/H75, Noctua D14 or something from Be Quiet!.

I recently bought an i5 4570, and I'm using the stock cooler ( because its non K, and so i dont OC ). The fan is really quiet, and keeps my cpu in good temps ( I think the highest i've had it reach ever was 60-65C, while playing intensive games ).

10+ Year Old Account
    Need more, with everything overclocked (and 780 overclocks a LOT) you can easily touch ~450w+ so grab a 600-650w XFX/Corsair/Seasonic.
    I'd... really like to see 780's being pushed to 1800mhz. I think 450w is... exaggerating. Unless I'm mistaken. But 450w is very nearly -double- TDP and wattage. I think normal is like.. what.. 10%? 15%? 280w is more accurate, Im under the impression.

So based on the suggestions you guys gave me this is the result: (w/e is in bold is what I changed) Does this get a stamp of approval?

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($300.00 - Amazon)
    • CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 - Newegg)
    • Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.69 - OutletPC)
    • Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 - Microcenter)
    • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.50 - Newegg)
    • Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.98 - Newegg)
    • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 - Newegg)
    • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($509.99 - Amazon)
    • Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 - TigerDirect)
    • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 - NCIX US)
      Total: $1472.08

Getting a small over clock is so easy these days that if you have almost any after market cooler it would be a shame not to. My ASUS sabortooth p67 mobo has a button in the UEFI bios that allows easy small overclocks.

Im not worried about temps right now as the only game i play is wow. Only uses 50% cpu so it stays cool with stock cooler. If i started playing my other games like Metro:LL i would probably remove the oc until i upgrade the cooler.

Asrock i would think has something similar.
    As for over kill. If your talking WoW yes. My i5 2500 runs about 50% cpu usage and my 580gtx runs at about 40% at 1080p ultra settings. 60fps.
    Intel Core i5 2500 quad core
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ASUS SABERTOOTH SLI motherboard
    Geforce 580gtx
    Corsiar Force3 120gig SSD (boot drive + WoW install)
    WD 400gb hdd

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd... really like to see 780's being pushed to 1800mhz. I think 450w is... exaggerating. Unless I'm mistaken. But 450w is very nearly -double- TDP and wattage. I think normal is like.. what.. 10%? 15%? 280w is more accurate, Im under the impression.
    I was talking total system wattage :P everything @ stock pulls around 340w if Guru3D is to be believed, but even relatively small OC's = big jumps in power (it's not linear).

So based on the suggestions you guys gave me this is the result: (w/e is in bold is what I changed) Does this get a stamp of approval?

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($300.00 - Amazon)
    • CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 - Newegg)
    • Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.98 - Newegg)
    • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 - Newegg)
    • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($509.99 - Amazon)
    • Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 - TigerDirect)
    • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 - NCIX US)
      Total: $1472.08
    You forgot to change the GPU...if you're going by Amazon then these two are my first choices:
    $499 - Asus 780 DCII - http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Direct...s=asus+gtx+780
    $509 - EVGA 780 SC - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-G...s=evga+gtx+780

Also that Enermax case...that is not a case I would recommend for such a high-end build like this, it simply doesn't do justice. What is your case budget? I would recommend nothing less than a Corsair 300R, Fractal Define R4 or Corsair 500R. Solid build quality, elegant looks, good features, etc!

Everything else looks fine

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I was talking total system wattage :P everything stock pulls around 340w if Guru3D is to be believed, but even relatively small OC's = big jumps in power (it's not linear).

Also that Enermax case...that is not a case I would recommend for such a high-end build like this, it simply doesn't do justice. What is your case budget? I would recommend nothing less than a Corsair 300R, Fractal Define R4 or Corsair 500R. Solid build quality, elegant looks, good features, etc!

Everything else looks fine
    Well the GPU is already on the List you prob missed it. I'm going with the EVGA 780 SC.

As for the case budget it is also part of the 1500 overall that i did not go over. if i take away that Enermax case out that gives me pretty much $75.91 for a case. Those cases are cool but just solid black. I will prob look for something with 2 tones.

I would like to thank you guys a lot for helping me out. Especially with the PSU info that opened my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I was talking total system wattage :P everything @ stock pulls around 340w if Guru3D is to be believed, but even relatively small OC's = big jumps in power (it's not linear).

Granted that is with a 3960x but still.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Granted that is with a 3960x but still.
    1043/6808? My 780 is at 1215/7000 and that's considered an average OC. For me personally that's cutting too close to recommend a 550w PSU for such a rig. It'll ultimately work just fine since it's a good brand, but yeah that's just me :S

As for the case budget it is also part of the 1500 overall that i did not go over. if i take away that Enermax case out that gives me pretty much $75.91 for a case. Those cases are cool but just solid black. I will prob look for something with 2 tones.
    Eh, yeah cases are really up to personal choice. Instead of recommending you specific models I'll just leave it at the best case manufacturers:
    > Corsair
    > Fractal Design
    > Cooler Master
    > NZXT (tend to use a lot of plastic)
    > Silverstone

All should have cases available at the ~$75 mark (approx). Up to you if you want to use something other than those

I just got http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZHCPR4/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1 yesterday, Love it. I love how neat my case is, until you pop the backside off >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomken View Post
    Everytime I try to Que for LFR, the game completely crashes. WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    It's probably trying to save you a headache.