Question about SLI

Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a new system that I built myself and I was thinking about doing SLI by using my old video card and my new one but I am new to the whole SLI thing and wanted some feed back. Here are some links to my hardware first:

My OLD video card:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Nvidia-...item232b12dbb0

My NEW video card:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Motherboard:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see, my OLD video card is definitely aged but for what it is, a powerhouse. I still get amazing fps in WoW with it. And it does have SLI capability. Instead of letting it collect dust I mine as well use it for SLI if there is anything to be gained. As I have no experience or concept of how SLI works, what kind of performance would I see by using both instead of just my new one?

And last question, if I do use both, where on my motherboard would the two cards go? It has 3 slots. My video card is currently in the slot CLOSEST to the CPU. I am assuming the two slots near the bottom of the motherboard is where they will go if I use SLI.

Thanks for any feedback anyone can offer!
    Last edited by Beej; 2014-02-26 at 06:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ditch the old card. It's old. Half a decade old. It's not a powerhouse, it's just that WoW doesn't require GPU power. It's the fact that your new -system- (more specifically CPU) is a powerhouse.

It's like putting a donut tire on the side of your car that already has 4 normal tires and hoping it goes faster. If anything, it may well slow things down.

Either sell it, donate it, or put it in another system or something. Your current video card has enough power to do most games at high settings. Adding a crippled card (The GTS 250 is weaker than most $30 new cards these days) into the mix is not doing you, or your system, any favors.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-02-26 at 06:19 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Thanks for the reply chazus. One of my fears which you addressed, was that this video card would bring down the performance if used with my new one. Looks like I'll just put the old card in my older core 2 quad system and gift it to to my sister, she needs a reliably decent system.