Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I suggest you steer clear of the entire "______ of Shanarra" books. They sucked and were essentially ripoffs of Lord of the Rings.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

i dont think i would suggest sword of truth , despite how much i liked the books ( except 7th and 8th) and how much i adored the characters , i was tearing my hairs until the end of each book while i was reading them , it is just that main characters never get their shit out of trouble even for a moment and they are separated so many times that it would probably only take up %20 of the whole series the time they spent together , as you said you dont want drama (i am not sure if this counts are "drama" tbh) it might be too much emotional attachment

Deleted
    1) The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan.
    Main character is a girl - pretty typical school of magic stuff, but one of the most unique approaches to magic ive seen. Also very little drama.

2)Books by Robin Hobb - mostly The Farseer trilogy and its contiunation The Tawny Man trilogy. Story about a young (second trilogy older) assassin/sorcerer. Her Liveship Traders trilogy is also pretty interesting.

3) Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss - 2 books are out atm, with third in tow, in my opinion second book kinda falls in quality, bet still pretty interesting.

4) Artemis Fowl series - honestly, in my opinion the only reason why this didnt become madly popular was becasue most of the books in the series were released during Harry Potter's peak years. Pretty great - about a little boy mastermind who messes with the secretive races of fairies, elfs and such that live deep underground with far superior elven technology and knowlege.

5) If you like science fiction aswell, i suggest the star wars franchises Trawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. It's pretty great.

Others already mentioned Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt; and The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett (the second one after the Painted Man was horrible for my tastes).

P.S. All dem trilogies... Yum-yum...
    Last edited by mmocfb7db65379; 2014-02-28 at 09:11 PM.

Is the liveship traders a needed part of the Hobb series of books? I REALLY couldn't get into them at all (such that I have about 7 books in the series I've not even looked at).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Is the liveship traders a needed part of the Hobb series of books? I REALLY couldn't get into them at all (such that I have about 7 books in the series I've not even looked at).
    Liveship Traders arent really connected but takes place in the same universe and time period so some larger events overlap. YOu are not missing out much if you cant find them.

Also, im not familiar with her newer books as my time i could put in books severely shortened around 2010. Its worth looking up more details on her newer works over the past 5 years. Cant predict quality though.

Thanks! I've got a lot of books to check out now! I've already read some of them, like The sword of truth and Dresden Files. I'll probably be looking at Steelheart, The Elenium, The ender books, Riftwar and The belgariad. Should keep me busy for a while I suspect!

Quote Originally Posted by Albolynx View Post
    Liveship Traders arent really connected but takes place in the same universe and time period so some larger events overlap. YOu are not missing out much if you cant find them.

Also, im not familiar with her newer books as my time i could put in books severely shortened around 2010. Its worth looking up more details on her newer works over the past 5 years. Cant predict quality though.
    If you plan on reading the Rainwilds Chronicles (the fourth Elderlings trilogy) then it does help to have read the Liveship Traders trilogy first. However, you can just read the Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy back to back and these are by far the best Robin Hobb books in my opinion anyway. Keep in mind though that Robin Hobbs books contain some very adult themes so depending on your age these may not be for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    Thanks! I've got a lot of books to check out now! I've already read some of them, like The sword of truth and Dresden Files. I'll probably be looking at Steelheart, The Elenium, The ender books, Riftwar and The belgariad. Should keep me busy for a while I suspect!
    After you read ender's game I suggest you read Ender's Shadow, The Speaker for the Dead is a much harder read.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Anything by L.J. Smith

+1 for Steelheart. It was really hard to put down once I started reading it.

I think someone mentioned The Warded Man earlier. Definitely an amazing story, though I wouldn't consider it appropriate for young teens.

spook apprentice - they just did the last book in the series. something like 12. theres a movie coming out based very very loosely off the books. good read

I've read one trilogy that was decent recently and one book that's starting a trilogy i believe, maybe a series.
    Divergent was a very good book though the trilogy as a whole was extremely lack-luster.

Timebound (The Chronos Files) was a very good book.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    Most of these start of with the characters as kids that then grow up. I don't really care if that's the case. Also most of these have some sort of romance story which probably most books of this genre have, which is nice I guess if it's done well enough. The books I listed have mostly good romances I think but thats probably because they cover such a long amount of time.
    if you want Kidd/young teen grow up + fantasy I can recommend you Astrid Lindgren books but the books are not in a series, the books are very old and might have been surpassed by later authors but she was one of the "first" fantasy authors.

Mio, My Son (the book in my opinion Rowling was inspired by then she wrote harry potter)
    Ronia the Robber's Daughter
    The Brothers Lionheart

The Brothers Lionheart is an absolutely amazing book, allthough for a bit of a younger audience.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    The Brothers Lionheart
    Oh, I feel old already, havent heard that name in quite some time.
    Yes, I can recommend it too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Be More Chill - Leaning more on the "Teen" side of things, but its an interesting read.

Also, anything by Christopher Moore would be a good read.

Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck and Bite Me are all brilliantly funny vampire inspired books. Bite Me is perhaps the weaker of the three, but since the first two came out during the Twilight craze, it was nice to read something about Vampires that wasn't all sparkles and emo scenes. Its funny enough to make it casually engaging but interesting enough not to make it boring.

Fool is also an interesting read as it takes a Shakespearian play and rewrites it from another characters point of view. Add a hell of a lot of Chris Moore humour, and a bit of raunchiness, it makes for a fun read.

http://www.chrismoore.com/

The Bartimaeus Trilogy is a really good read that fits all your parameters. Very much intended for a younger audience that is still amusing and full of likable characters.