Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

SC police officer shoots man reaching for cane

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...0eb_story.html

"COLUMBIA, S.C. — A police officer in South Carolina shot a 70-year-old motorist who was reaching for a cane during a traffic stop because he thought the man was grabbing a rifle from the bed of his pickup truck, investigators said. The man was expected to survive.

The York County deputy, Terrence Knox, pulled over Bobby Canipe (kah-NYP’) of Lincolnton, N.C., for an expired license tag about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday north of Clover, S.C., York County sheriff’s spokesman Trent Faris said.

After stopping, Canipe got out of his pickup truck and reached into the bed, pulling out what Knox thought was a long-barreled rifle, Faris said. It was Canipe’s walking cane. The officer fired several times, hitting Canipe once, Faris said.

Faris refused to say where on his body Canipe was hit, but said he was expected to survive. Canipe was taken to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C., where spokesman Kevin McCarthy said he was listed in fair condition.

The situation is very unfortunate,” Faris said, reading from a statement at a news conference. “It does appear, at this time, that Deputy Knox’s actions were an appropriate response to what he reasonably believed to be an imminent threat to his life.

The State Law Enforcement Division will investigate the shooting and turn its findings over to prosecutors, who will decide whether to press charges, Faris said. He said Knox, 24, has been a deputy for almost three years."

I'm confused, as long as a Police Officer feels like they are under threat, they are allowed to take any action they want?

Quote Originally Posted by Shurkuris View Post
    I'm confused, as long as a Police Officer feels like they are under threat, they are allowed to take any action they want?
    seems so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    You're full of shit honey.

Man police are screwing up at the speed of light this year. the fuck is going on.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    I don't know the situation, depending on how agressive the old man was (verbal or physicall doesn't matter much) could lead me to believe he could be reaching for a gun or not.

I find it really difficult to make "my judgement" about situations like this wihout a clear video of what happened. So many factors are in play that could "justify" the shooting.

Deleted
    I can see why he'd had made the mistake. Dark so limited visability, and theres alot of anti-police feelings so it's understandable to see why he might see it and react the way he did. What if it had been a gun and he'd not reacted so quickly, he would've been killed. The police are in the position where they need to make snap decisions and do what they think best.

Dumb People are everywhere, this one decided to get Police officer tho.

Quote Originally Posted by gridalien View Post
    I can see why he'd had made the mistake. Dark so limited visability, and theres alot of anti-police feelings so it's understandable to see why he might see it and react the way he did. What if it had been a gun and he'd not reacted so quickly, he would've been killed. The police are in the position where they need to make snap decisions and do what they think best.
    While i second this, it shouldnt be that way. If not sure, i´d rather have the policeman die than someone unguilty. The policeman signed up for a high risk Job and knows that.

Deleted
    you see, this is what happens when guns are prevalent in your society. A police officer has to assume you are reaching for a weapon and act accordingly, its insane that any society acts like this, but thats apparently "freedom".....

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel bad for this police officer. He obviously didn't want to shoot an old man reaching for his cane.

But the job of a police officer is difficult and unpredictable. There have been countless situations where people reach for something, and that "something" ends up being a firearm.

To be a police officer, you can never relax. You have to always be on guard. Always under the assumption that you could be attacked during every single traffic stop.

Really unfortunate situation.
    Eat yo vegetables

To be a police officer, you can never relax. You have to always be on guard. Always under the assumption that you could be attacked during every single traffic stop.
    They should also be under the assumption that not every rod-shaped object is a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gridalien View Post
    they are in that position and need to be able to make the CORRECT decision. being in a tough situation on a daily basis isn't an excuse or a free pass to shoot someone if you feel threatened. the man shouldn't be a police officer if he feels it's appropriate to shoot an unarmed man just because the man reached for something, it could have been an umbrella, a cane, a huge dildo... the point is until you know for certain that you're in danger it's not your job as a police officer to shoot first and ask questions later. the victim should sue and he will win a large amount of money, and the cop should retire or ride a desk after he's suspended without pay for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Man police are screwing up at the speed of light this year. the fuck is going on.
    It's called a police state.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    They should also be under the assumption that not every rod-shaped object is a gun.
    Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one

-Martin Heidegger

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    The job of a police officer is difficult and unpredictable. There have been countless situations where people reach for something, and that "something" ends up being a firearm.
    To be a police officer, you can never relax. You have to always be on guard. Always under the assumption that you could be attacked during every single traffic stop. Really unfortunate situation.
    Pure propaganda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNgqTv_48Ik

Take a look at that video(warning, it's NSFW).
    As long as every person can own a firearm in the US, cops HAVE to be careful like that. Cane/hose/candy, if you reach for something, expect to be shot at.

how about you don't just reach for something when dealing with police without informing them of what you are reaching for first in the consideration of your safety as well as the officer's safety?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HammondQ View Post
    In a country where 300 million guns are in circulation, one cannot blame the police for that sort of caution.
    I have to agree with the quote in the article. It's a very very unfortunate incident.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Gun paranoia... this shit keeps growing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Maybe the guy should've been smart enough not to reach for something in the bed of his pickup, at night, while being questioned by a police officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Maybe the guy should've been smart enough not to reach for something in the bed of his pickup, at night, while being questioned by a police officer.
    This is part of the problem. The guys likely just didn't know any better. Society as a whole needs to learn how to interact with police officers.
    Eat yo vegetables