Targeting problem

Hi

I am fairly new to HC raiding and well I'm at the point where I'm more concerned about where I'm standing and because of this i neglect my dps, I play elemental shaman(I know CL=Faceroll) and well i don't switch to targets as i should be doing, not because i don't see them or something i just focus more on staying alive atm,

my question is, is there some addon that will once a target is dead automatically select a new target and continue casting or even some sort of macro that will modify my LB and CL to select the new target when my current one dies(like Immurs adds they die so fast lol get of like maybe 3 casts off lol) i also don't perform as well as i could on spoils,

i know this is weird coming from a player in the heroic raiding scene but i have a lot to learn before i can call my self a good player and well asking this question is something i feel will make me better over all

you can make a macro for your attacks and add a command like "target a new target if the current target is dead"

don't know the exact command , but you can find it easily I think

Deleted
    The lazy way of doing would be just to target your tank that are picking up the small adds and then spam CL (make sure to enable the auto-assist functionality).
    That should cause your to cast Chain Lightning on your targets (tank) target (adds). Since the tank will be picking up the adds everytime they spawn he will most likely have one of them targetted.

But - the 'correct' solution would be learning to retarget/change to next target before your current target dies. On Immersius adds I usually constantly change targets (by clicking them) to the add with the highest health while spamming CL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranaas View Post
    you can make a macro for your attacks and add a command like "target a new target if the current target is dead"
    Uhm, your target is cleared whenever the enemy you have in target is killed, so that would have essentially the same effect as pressing your "next target" button which can be bound in the key bindings. Place the target frame so that you always see it on your screen, and press the "next target" button when it is cleared, problem solved.

The thing about heroic raiding is, you can pretty much learn all the possible sources of damage so that you don't have to be on your toes constantly. If you can't remember them very well use boss mod timers (and for god's and your sake configure it so that you only see those timers and warnings that are relevant for *you*), although I find many high damage situations in SoO self-explanatory and therefore quite forgiving. There's hardly ever a situation where you're getting totally caught off guard with enough practice. As you learn the fights you'll see that there's enough time to relax and do proper DPS in every encounter.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-03-04 at 11:10 AM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

thanks for all the advise guys this actually really helped a lot,

I believe that you can put '/startattack' at the beginning of a macro to ensure that your character has something targeted before it tries to cast a spell:

#showtooltip
    /startattack
    /cast Super Spell

Its dangerous to leave the targeting of a mob to automation especially as a ranged dps, and especially in heroic progression raiding! I use a macro for my melee dps classes to basically always attack the nearest thing to me (as I would often have range issues and swing at nothing!) but I know I will never accidentally target and hit a mob 20 yards away and pull adds that I wasn't supposed to.

I would recommend just getting a good nameplate addon and manually click the target you need, or use the default "Target Nearest Enemy" keybinding (e.g. tab) and pay close attention to what you are targeting. Moving out of the fire and maintaining dps all comes with practice.