Thread: Huvr Hoverboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Looking at the site, it looks very much like a marketing gimmick for a movie. It even uses the Back to the Future time machine LCD dates at the top, for goodness sake. They even use the Back to the Future style paint job.

I have a feeling this is a viral marketing campaign for a new Back to the Future film.
    That would be cool. However, as I stated, it is a marketing ploy to gain investors for HUVr's R&D. It says so on their site.

As well, "the inclusion of any products or services on this website at a particular time does not imply or warrant that these products or services will be available at any time."

Meaning, they don't have a product.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Looking at the site, it looks very much like a marketing gimmick for a movie. It even uses the Back to the Future time machine LCD dates at the top, for goodness sake.
    The enigmatic thing is that their legal section does in fact talk about that whole section of not having to have any product they talk about available at any time, but it also talks about sales policies, product safety and warranty policies.

As far as the board itself goes, on their about section they mention antigravity technology, which is bollocks. So while I want to side with you and guess that it's for a movie, the inclusion of sports and music celebrities seems kind of weird for a movie PR stunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    That would be cool. However, as I stated, it is a marketing ploy to gain investors for HUVr's R&D. It says so on their site.

As well, "the inclusion of any products or services on this website at a particular time does not imply or warrant that these products or services will be available at any time."

Meaning, they don't have a product.
    Unless they've figured out a miniaturized nuclear reactor or insane battery technology, they couldn't generate the power in a board that small to hold something up anyway. Physics.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Unless they've figured out a miniaturized nuclear reactor or insane battery technology, they couldn't generate the power in a board that small to hold something up anyway. Physics.
    Unless you had ferromagnetic monopoles. Then the hovering wouldn't require energy.

But if somebody had discovered any ferromagnetic monopoles, let alone enough for a hoverboard, it would have been all over the media because of the vast implications of such a breakthrough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    The enigmatic thing is that their legal section does in fact talk about that whole section of not having to have any product they talk about available at any time, but it also talks about sales policies, product safety and warranty policies.
    Probably boilerplate they got somewhere to enhance the effect of the campaign.

As far as the board itself goes, on their about section they mention antigravity technology, which is bollocks. So while I want to side with you and guess that it's for a movie, the inclusion of sports and music celebrities seems kind of weird for a movie PR stunt.
    They claim on their page it's done with electromagnetism. I shudder to think of the strength of electromagnet you'd need to use to lift someone using the repulsion of the Earth's magnetic field.

As for the celebs, Celebrities are used for marketing campaigns all the time.

Celebrities are used for marketing campaigns all the time.
    Product relevant celebrities yes.

So what do all of the celebrities in that video have in common; other than their apparent love of hover-boards? Figure that one out and then you have the truth.

Viral video for BttF 4 in december 2014 with a release date for october 21th 2015.....nothing more nothing less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Product relevant celebrities yes.

So what do all of the celebrities in that video have in common; other than their apparent love of hover-boards? Figure that one out and then you have the truth.
    I suppose their love of Back to the Future, or perhaps their love of money?

I suppose their love of Back to the Future, or perhaps their love of money?
    There are a lot of "yesterday's news" in there, so they would probably be the kind that would work for free to get back in the news.

Also 0:04 bottom left, is that a used condom sitting on the road there?

If the ruse is supposed to be a product reveal by MIT graduate students, then why would they choose to reveal their product in the most ghetto looking parking lot Los Angeles has to offer?

EDIT: Seriously though, if Christopher Lloyd was spotted driving a DeLorean anywhere there would be a gigantic crowd. Nothing in these videos is there by accident. From the fallen business awning, to the random stranger lurching in the shadows on his cell phone, to the used condom on the ground. I want to know what. BttF4 would be ultimately amazing, but for all we know it could just be a PR Stunt for "Tony Hawks BttF Hoverboard LULZ" on PS4
    Last edited by Gheld; 2014-03-04 at 11:19 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    What would they do now instead of a DeLorean? The only reason they used that car was as a joke because it was such a failure IRL, but I don't think any of the modern failure cars are cool enough looking to be a time machine.
    Ford Fiesta or a Pontiac Aztec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrik View Post
    Heh, I was thinking of the Aztek. It's just funky looking enough and boxy enough to be time-machine-esque. The new Fiestas actually look kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrik View Post
    The funny thing about the Aztec is that the absolute most popular market segment at the moment is the one that was pretty much started by the Aztec.

Obviously the next time machine will be a Nissan Cube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Howerboard does exist. All you need a 2 magnets, one desk and a lots of white dangerous smoke.

Superconductors produce a supercurrent that creates a perfect mirror of a constant magnets poles. This mirror provides the magnet with a stable repulsion that causes the magnet to levitate called The Meissner Effect. The superconductor, in order to have zero electrical resistance, must be cooled in liquid nitrogen. Without resistance the superconductor is able to mirror the constant magnet almost instantly. This allows the magnet to be able to spin, wobble, or bounce without the magnet shooting away or slamming to the ground.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...s/meis.html#c2

So in other words....get some nitrogen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Howerboard does exist. All you need a 2 magnets, one desk and a lots of white dangerous smoke.

Superconductors produce a supercurrent that creates a perfect mirror of a constant magnets poles. This mirror provides the magnet with a stable repulsion that causes the magnet to levitate called The Meissner Effect. The superconductor, in order to have zero electrical resistance, must be cooled in liquid nitrogen. Without resistance the superconductor is able to mirror the constant magnet almost instantly. This allows the magnet to be able to spin, wobble, or bounce without the magnet shooting away or slamming to the ground.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...s/meis.html#c2

So in other words....get some nitrogen.
    So they just need to invent a room temperature superconductor and then line the roadways with magnets strong enough to repel the weight of a human.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cool, humans discovered non-magnetic hoovering.. Need to get this concreate-hoover board asap!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

huvrtech.com was registered via name.com on 25th of November 2013. Not sure if that helps any of the superslueths out there.

EDIT: Also that pink building is a wig store located at 1053 S. Main Street Los Angeles
    Last edited by Gheld; 2014-03-04 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

A better question would be: How much would it piss you off, if they managed to keep a lid on whatever this was about, all the way until December, only for it to turn out that it has absolutely nothing to do with BttF?

I'm seeing people on my facebook falling for this. I need new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    I'm seeing people on my facebook falling for this. I need new friends.
    Nobody on my Facebook, but I was looking at a bunch of news blogs about this video, and some of the comments... I saw one article where they were talking about how they failed to remove the shadow of a harness in one of the scenes and some guy was freaking the fuck out about how there was no shadow, even though there clearly was. Holy cognitive dissonance.