Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP, you're assuming you know every person who wants Offline mode and all the situations they would like it in. You know what happens when we assume things...
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Deleted
    I knew this thread sounded familiar: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ne)-on-real-ID
    OP, seriously?

Uh, no. In fact, I'm one of the biggest advocates of Appear Offline (hell, I've wanted it before they even announced that they were going to implement it as a feature) and I've never thought or given a single damn about any of those things you listed.

OP, there is a mystical creature in this world known as an "introvert". As a heavy introvert myself, it's not at all that I dislike my friends or the people I know that I have on RID, or want an excuse to be on WoW while I'm "out" as you seem to believe. I don't care if people know how much I play. The simple fact is, sometimes I'm not in the mood for "hey wanna do so and so" and "whats up let me tell you about how i owned this dude in a duel/got this badass mount" etcetc.

I have friends that are social. It's not that I dislike them or don't want to be friends with them/do shit with them sometimes, but that doesn't go for every day. Sometimes I'm not feeling social and I want to just log in and do something like run LFR on my alt, farm, or level and don't really care to be bothered by anyone. There's nothing more to it than that.

I like pretty much everyone on my friends list.

But there is times, maybe 40-60% of the time, when I'm not raiding, when to be perfectly honest, I just want to chill out on my own, put some music on, go farm, get some achieves, whatever.

So I understand the need among the other reasons, don't see why it shouldn't be put in.

Has approx 0% to do with howlong I'm logged in for, people on my friends list are on around the same hours, you'll usually find that...as they usually have the same interests, most on my are hardcore raiders, and are on the maximum time they can be per day really, no embarrassment.

I'm praying this guy is just a random troll and not a fanatical stalker. Some people are scarily imbalanced.

Off-topic:
    Duravian, love the sig. I used to call myself "the Thread Killer" for the same reason. Heh

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really get why this is a contentious topic. I can understand wanting it, I can understand not caring around it, but I can't understand opposing it. New features is never a bad thing, and there's pretty much no harm in adding a feature like this for the people that will use it. At best, it will be useful for some people. At worst, it will be a feature you personally don't use.

I'm not sure I'd personally ever use it, but I can definitely say that there are plenty of times when a /dnd or /afk flag doesn't stop the whispers and it takes more time to just reply to everyone saying you're busy than to just interact with them, which sorta defeats the purpose.

Even if it was true that people only wanted it to hide how often they're online -- and I highly disagree that is the only legitimate reason -- so what? Why does that even matter?

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Minginging View Post
    I'm praying this guy is just a random troll and not a fanatical stalker. Some people are scarily imbalanced.
    Sepharoth up thread linked a thread that shows the OP has been saying the exact same thing since at least August last year. So, not random per se. Sounds like he's pretty dedicated to being anti-Appear Offline. You may have a point, especially the focus on 'hot dates'.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Not gunna lie, I'd love to appear offline once in awhile. Although I'd probably use the system to play alts or D3 while skipping out on raids this late in the expansion.

I've been subbed continuously for 10+ years and I've never had my account compromised, as I'm sure many others also have not. Either way if someone steals your info and gets online they'll just ignore people and take all your shit without people knowing anyways, not like your friends are all going to be like "Hey I noticed you logging onto alts, are you hacked? Say nothing if you're [NOT] hacked or i'll open a ticket that will be answered in 3 days time and they will save your account."
    Mine would.

That said, I'm one of those people who just can't wrap their mind around people's aversion to /DND and /AFK. Maybe it's because I've made it a point to not associate with other players who'll take it super personally if I'm not available to them 24/7. Certain personality types can't respect boundaries, and rather than try to "handle" them, I'd really just rather ... not. It's really hard for me to sympathize with anyone who keeps themselves open to those types of people, but if nothing else, I also think "more options" is alright.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Appear offline 'aint cool. It brings out the worst in people.

10+ Year Old Account
    its funny how a simple request/idea lures so much griffing

i would like to have a appear offline button for occasionally me-time
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think most people that want to appear offline are .. botters. At least quite a bunch of them..
    Also, I don't always feel for doing arenas with a few buddies that spam me and I'm not good with NO's.
    I doubt they are social outcasts and spend most of their time on the computer instead of "partying" since that's
    so cool for you as it seems. I'd rather spend time online than go out partying every week. It's their time, let them
    do as they want to...

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP is clearly a teenager/(wo)man-child who hasn't learned about the world beyond high school, why are you guys even trying to justify yourselves to him/her?

Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-03-05 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Either way if someone steals your info and gets online they'll just ignore people and take all your shit without people knowing anyways, not like your friends are all going to be like "Hey I noticed you logging onto alts, are you hacked? Say nothing if you're hacked and i'll open a ticket that will be answered in 3 days time and they will save your account."
    I actually noticed my friend's account getting hacked and changed the password for him so the hacker couldn't cause any more damage. The account was logged on during times my friend was at work so I sent him a text about it and he responded that it wasn't him.

although this probably happens in less than .1% of cases

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't really get why this is a contentious topic. I can understand wanting it, I can understand not caring around it, but I can't understand opposing it.
    I can't relate to opposing it either. Sadly though the people that are against it can have some pretty irrational reasons for their opposition.

List of a few bad reasons:
    Some people that are in an online relationship but live apart want to police their partners game play
    Some raid/guild leaders want to police their raiders off night actions (why are you in D3 when your legendary isn't done?!?)
    Some people can't take being left out of anything for any reason
    Some people need way too much attention for their own good
    Some people want to pester RID players to get them in pug raids/rbgs they can't get into themselves

In most cases it seems like a control issue. I have a hard time coming up with a rational reason for opposing the feature but there are plenty of crazies out there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Dude, OP are you serious? Who the hell cares if people want to be left alone once in a while! You've obv been hurt by someone dodging you lol

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no real reason to not have an appear offline mode. It's an option. Nobody would force you to use it, in fact I don't think a lot of people even would. I wouldn't. I think that even the OP knows this, so he's not really arguing against it - he's just using this thread as a means to call people losers because it makes him feel better about himself.
    Look! Words!

As far as I know, the people arguing for it really just say they dont want to explain to people that they are in a bad mood or whatever.

Personally I think its ridiculous, and not fair to their friends. If my friend logs on and I say"hey, wanna spam some BGs?" and he tells me he's hungover and just wants to do a little Diablo 3 or Hearthstone, I can understand that.

What I get a sense of is people not being able to tell their friends something like that. I feel it is worse to just lie to your friends about not being online rather than telling them why you dont want to do something right then and their.

Hell even a bnet message "feeling tired, DND" would be enough to pass most issues.

I dont know, I get why its wanted but I feel like its not really needed, people need to be able to talk to their friends, if they cant tell somebody they are dejected and wanna just chill solo, then they really arent good friends.

Eh, kind of trivial to me to just to stop there and would rather see more options in the design especially when it comes between realID and battle.net ID. The two lists should be manageable separately. RealID was supposed to be for people you trust and get a long well socially. All the battle.net ID thing did was remove the real name and email aspect to deal with players wanting to use the realID system outside of its design, but nothing to deal with the new aspect of how it would be used in terms of social interaction.

Personally if I need a me time then I dont have a problem telling others something along the lines of "no". In times that I have messaged friends and they wanted their "me" time I respected that and let them be. With how wide spread battle.net ID is I can see that offering an offline mode, but I still laugh at some of the complaints I hear when players want to hide from good PuG raid leaders. Even as someone who would get pst to join a PuG from such players it was of no negative consequence when I would turn them down. I think appear offline mode shouldnt be available for realID and only battle.net as that is where its main use is. If it was up to me though I would make offline mode only available for battle.net names and not realID. Oddly most of my real life friends are battle.net while long time WoW friends are realID.

If there is anything I find annoying with the social system is with WoW and players logging in and out of characters which creates battle.net spam across all other games. Too bad we cant set filters like spam limits.

WoWs social systems interaction with battle.net needs an overhaul and feels archaic compared to the standardization across the other titles. Maybe WoD will see something and actually.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    For World of Warcraft and StarCraft II, we expect to add the option sometime after the release of each game’s upcoming expansion.
    It isnt in SCII though and I didnt noticed in DIII so maybe the systems got delayed. With all the threads that pop up with no response the usual reason comes down to ether no new information available or waiting for enough solid information to compile. For all we know the developers working on it might have said wait lets do all these other changes while we are at it which then leads to the delay of something.

In the end the best place of feed back to the battle.net team is the battle.net forums rather than where many of them are concentrated to the Official WoW forums. http://us.battle.net/en/forum/
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2014-03-05 at 12:55 AM.

I actually particularly needed this feature when I started petering out on this raid tier and wanted to just play hearthstone for a couple hours, instead.

OP was a silly man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    How about if i want to do some dungeons on valentines day but everybody on my friends list is apparantly on a "hot date" aka Appear Offline.
    Reading your post, it seems like appearing offline is a non-issue to you since you have no friends to talk to.

ot: Some friends have the nerve to stalk and keep spamming for help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sury View Post
    I can't relate to opposing it either. Sadly though the people that are against it can have some pretty irrational reasons for their opposition.

List of a few bad reasons:
    Some people that are in an online relationship but live apart want to police their partners game play
    Some raid/guild leaders want to police their raiders off night actions (why are you in D3 when your legendary isn't done?!?)
    Some people can't take being left out of anything for any reason
    Some people need way too much attention for their own good

Some people want to pester RID players to get them in pug raids/rbgs they can't get into themselves

In most cases it seems like a control issue. I have a hard time coming up with a rational reason for opposing the feature but there are plenty of crazies out there.
    This times a million. Every time it's "i got a new mount!" "i got a new mog piece" "i got a new gear piece"; "why didnt you inv me to your raid? *starts spamming invite to get carried*"