Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    So many hard asses in this thread.

Ghost & Goblin on NES T_T

I havent played that many hard games, but the one i have is super meatboy. The first half:ish of the game was medium difficulty i admit, but jesus fucking cumstain were the last levels hard. and dont even get me started on the damn bonus levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestozaur View Post
    For me battletoads in co-op , especial in one of the last levels where you are sliding on rail (or something ) and you have to press at the right time the directional pad in order to follow the rail pattern... I don't know if someone remembers this level , but in co-op I never passed it...
    That was one of the best coop games. Getting frustrated ? Whack your buddy a few times and say 'oops, didnt see you there'

this game
    Something used to be here -snip-
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-03-09 at 07:15 AM.

For me, Battletoads.

Never finished it and it's the kind of game you can't brute force your leveling without cheating.

To be fair, the game was bad programmed/designed, that made it far harder than it should. (intended?!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not going to make a "hardest games list" but instead make a list of challenges that to me are pretty tough.

F-zero GX, beat the story mode on very hard setting, unlock all carts/tracks and win each Grand Prix on the hardest difficulty.

Guitar Hero 1,2,3,6 Five star all songs on expert. Beat the Devil on expert on guitar hero 3.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, obtain all medals and ribbons for the Campaign.

Call of Duty 3 veteran mode.

Halo 4 Mythic Difficulty

Honorable Mention: Soul Calibur 5's Legendary Soul mode. Don't mock me if you haven't tried it, that AI is just ridiculous.
    It was easy for me because I'm a Soul Calibur hero. You can easily play Siegfried and just mash unsafe low attacks against the AI and win. Soul Calibur has always had a flawed AI system.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    That fzero game for the gamecube a long time ago. Game was fucking impossible.
    Yes, that game was PAIN in the story mode. Its said to be one of the hardests games ever for a good reason. Megaman 1 was also pure pain, it didnt even have passwords. Never play the imortal (think thats the name) but people always said it was mad hard too.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Yeah, IWBTG isn't that hard, its fangames are - This is only one boss, you should see the rest of it... And for anyone unfamiliar with the series, if you hit ANYTHING once; You die. You could say it's pattern memorization, but I guess that's the same for nearly anything. This is just nuts though, I can't imagine this ever being easy even with hundreds of hours of practice.

Honestly, i've played nearly all of these games listed and a lot of them just have incredibly poor controls or require a LOT of patience, not always do they actually require that much skill - I've played a few IWBTG games, including boshy etc, and for the most part they're kinda just doing the part until you figure out the pattern - But this looks like it just takes the cake, you should see the platforming segments, they're SO pixel perfect. Remember, I know that this one boss is kinda just a bullet hell, but it's just that - One boss, just check out the rest of it...
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2014-03-09 at 05:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I guess, talking about the "hardest games", we are talking about single player games only (or online PvE games), because everything which involves PvP is infinitely hard, depending on what level you play and what level your opponents are.

The hardest games for me have been these ones:

1) Doom 2: Plutonia Experiment on Nightmare
    This WAD is insane even on the 4th difficulty: the enemies' numbers are overwhelming, and I've never made it past the 9th level without saves. But on Nightmare... I be damned if I ever make it past the 2nd level!

2) Tyrian 2000 on the "secret" difficulty on turbo speed
    I don't think anyone who is not a Korean or a Japanese has any chance to complete this ridiculousness.

3) Etherlords 1 on Hardest
    They either haven't balanced/tested this difficulty at all, or they just wanted to create something "really" impossible so that no one could say that the game was too easy. But, basically, on Hardest difficulty enemy heroes with starting deck kill every mob they encounter automatically, so by the 10th turn or so, when you just get your first additional spells, the enemy heroes already have all the best cards there are in the game, ridiculously high level, powerful artifacts and so on, so, when you face them, you have no chance at all.
    The difficulty is so insane, the analogue in HoMM III would be enemy hero having a stack of 100 level 7 upgraded creatures by the 10th turn, full spellbook and level 30 or so. That is, it is simply impossible, unless the combat glitches and the enemy surrenders automatically (which never happened to me).

People here talk about Dark Souls and Call of Duty 3? Really? Check out these ^ games guys, you won't proceed even by 10% of the game in each of them.

Deleted
    Jet Set Willy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV6tWfDf8IE

Or perhaps Daley Thompsons Decathlon, but that was more down to the RSI inducing way you had to play it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No Altered Beast? That game takes the cake for the most rage inducing game of all time.

I do believe Ninja Gaiden should be on that list.

There was no arbitrary difficulty in the game. The difficulty of things made sense in the game from the varied mobs to the insane bosses.

The only game in the same genre that's come anywhere close recently to being as fluid in combat or as difficult if only in bosses is Metal Gear Rising.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Soul Calibur 3 made me want to smash my controller a few times. It didn't have an adjustable difficulty. Although I'm not that great at fighting games, so maybe it was just me. I actually enjoy fighting games.....I'm just not that good at them. I can usually beat the AI if I practice enough and don't go on the super high difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That's almost a non sequitur. Bullet hells are aptly named, and that is their ENTIRE PURPOSE. Just like I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game, which I don't believe should be on that list. They were made specifically to be impossibly challenging. I also don't think DOTA2 should be on there, it's a freaking MOBA. Come to think of it, that list is actually almost pure garbage. Basically it's a list of nostalgic games that people tried to beat as children and just assumed they were overly hard.

Some of them I agree with: Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Jurassic Park, hell, even Battletoads. But then you're crossing the line into intentionally challenging games like I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game, Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. There's a difference between games being challenging because of how they were made (aka Battletoad's speeder stage) and games that were specifically made to BE challenging (aka bullet hells) purely for the purpose of being ridiculous, if not almost impossible to complete.
    Damn you took the words right out of my mouth. Fun read for nostalgia, shit article in terms of content. The only thing I really appreciated is when someone would actually explain why the game was hard. Someone needs to put out an article of the definition of hard with explanations of mechanics throughout video game history. Battletoads "Hard" is much different from a CoD/DOOM "Hard" as is Mortal Kombat "Hard".

Then there's Coin-Op "Hard".

I only disagree with the Bullet Hell models, especially CAVE games. They were also based around pushing the PCB to its limits and are a great example of evolution over hardware limitations. (Certain patterns were actually designed around the fact that the game would slow down.)
    Last edited by HoopyFrood; 2014-03-10 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Example of early Bullet Hell design

Ghouls N' Ghosts....oh god Ghouls N' Ghosts......
    I don't think that game actually has a level 3. They knew noone could get past levels 1 and 2 without cheating anyway....
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

isn't ET just plain unplayable? I wasn't playing games back when being broken = hard. hardest I've played is Advance wars: days of chaos (crushing enemy AI and retarded friendly AI),god of war on harder difficulty, and demons souls.