Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Windwalker opener

Hello! I've been wondering how other people are playing out their openers as windwalkers because i feel that my burst probably could be higher. At the moment mine looks something like this:

EH to 4 chi before pull
    TP > RSK > Jab >Bok >Chi brew > Bok > Jab > Bok > Chi Brew > Pray for 10 TEB stacks > RSK

Is it more efficent to let energy cap and use chi brews earlier to make sure i have TEB up for a longer period of my trinket (Using Aoc+Haromm), or is it better to make sure energy is not capped while still having TEB up for the second RSK?

Deleted
    RSK > TP > Jab > BoK > Chi Brew > BoK > Chi Brew > RSK > TeB > (trinkets should be up here) FoF etc.

RSK is your priority. Keep that on cooldown all the time.

AoC is bad. Get Ebon Detonator.

I use Chi Brew for burst, then whenever I don't have much to push. You can use it whenever it's off cooldown as it's essentially free BoKs/RSKs etc.

Deleted
    I use both chi brews at the pull for more burst. Note tho that monks are not really bursty classes. Bloodlust at the beginning wont really net us much more damage.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a set opener but I generally try to stack 4 Chi from Expel Harm, get TP and RSK up right away then spam chi Brew > BoK, hitting TEB as soon as I hit the 2nd Chi Brew.

I may be energy capped for 1 or 2 GCDs but it gives me a few more TEB stacks to use 1 or 2 GCDs faster so I think its a reasonable tradeoff.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed with others. On pull, I use Chi Brew's charges to try to have as many stacks as possible in those first few seconds.

I also fit in an FoF at the start for trinket procs - this is especially important if you are using TeD.

Quote Originally Posted by GenaiTN View Post
    RSK > TP > Jab > BoK > Chi Brew > BoK > Chi Brew > RSK > TeB > (trinkets should be up here) FoF etc.

I use Chi Brew for burst, then whenever I don't have much to push. You can use it whenever it's off cooldown as it's essentially free BoKs/RSKs etc.
    Isnt that better to use Jab before RSK to maximize damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo79 View Post
    Isnt that better to use Jab before RSK to maximize damage?
    Don't see how jab could ever give higher damage in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
    Don't see how jab could ever give higher damage in that situation.
    I imagine they meant TP for the buff rather than Jab.

I'm a big fan of

Chi Brew -> Chi Brew -> TP -> (TeB if trinkets are up, which they should be) -> RSK -> Jab -> FoF

FoF stretches out TeD's AP boost so long.

I almost never bother getting chi before a pull as one almost always falls off before the tank actually starts combat.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Alysmera View Post
    I also fit in an FoF at the start for trinket procs - this is especially important if you are using TeD.
    If you're going to use FoF to snapshot trinkets, it's actually much better to use it at the end of Harom's or AoC proc. Thus, extending your 14k agi for a bonus 3 seconds where you would have no proc. TeD ticks down.. so while you do get the benefit of using FoF at a really high stack, you're also wasting time during a perfectly good trinket proc on an ability that's usually not a dps increase.

Deleted
    My opener is usually Chi Wave -> Chi Brew x2 -> Xuen -> TeB -> RSK -> TP -> Jab -> BoK

Depending on RNG with crits, can burst 600k DPS in a 25 man group depending on the boss!

Deleted
    I EH up to 4 Chi,So when the boss is pulled I use:
    Bok -> Bok -> Chi Brew -> Chi Brew -> TEB -> TP -> RSK -> Jab -> Fof
    You overcap energy but the 600-700k Burst is worth overcapping energy for 2-3 sec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enpoli View Post
    If you're going to use FoF to snapshot trinkets, it's actually much better to use it at the end of Harom's or AoC proc. Thus, extending your 14k agi for a bonus 3 seconds where you would have no proc. TeD ticks down.. so while you do get the benefit of using FoF at a really high stack, you're also wasting time during a perfectly good trinket proc on an ability that's usually not a dps increase.
    You should take a look at some of the top ranked logs. Lots of people use it early in TeD to snapshot high stacks. :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysmera View Post
    You should take a look at some of the top ranked logs. Lots of people use it early in TeD to snapshot high stacks. :3
    Excuse me, but could you please explain what do you can snapshot as a WW. So thank you, I'm new to this monk stuff.
    Last edited by mmoce2e906dcdc; 2014-03-08 at 03:19 PM.

IA with skipping early jabs to get the first Teb of 7-10 out as soon as possible.

There's no reason at all to use TEB at the very beginning of a fight like that unless it's Paragons where getting as much damage as possible on Skeer is critical to not wiping. Using all of your available TEB at the tail end of opening trinket procs for the sole sake of having "burst" and being higher on the meters for a few moments just ends up screwing you over later. If you're not at the start of trinket procs and not over at least 15 stacks of TEB and there isn't a fight mechanic that makes TEB at that moment a very good idea, just don't use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy69 View Post
    Excuse me, but could you please explain what do you can snapshot as a WW. So thank you, I'm new to this monk stuff.
    Fists of Fury basically snapshots everything outside of your Tigereye Brew. so that makes TeD very strong for us. It's also great for us to use it at the end of other trinket procs, as that allows us to kind of extend their proc a bit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GenaiTN View Post

I really like this opener, i fell very comfortable with it, im curious where do you fit EB and Xuen in that opener and don't you energy cap yourself if you are going RSK > TeB>FoF?

You do energy cap a bit with that opener. Not a big deal since you're also hitting your highest damage abilities.

Total is entirely right. There are certain fights where burst is crucial, and the "screws you over later" ends up being eaten by .... chasing Thok, for example, or dealing with some other mechanic. That's when your opener matters. Otherwise it'll even out.

The pull is the only time you will ever have pot/heroism/trinkets/banners ever. I'm not talking about instantly using TeB, but skipping a jab to hit the skull banners with 7+ seems fine to me. The 2nd RSK is usually my TeB point.