Healer UI Creation Guide?

Any links to good guides on creating a UI for healers? Everything I found in the stickies were more general, but I'm looking for a more in-depth guide involving things like what to show and what not to show, and overall optimization.

Just use ElvUI and either TellMeWhen or WeakAuras and you're set; no need for a guide. Turn of things like AuraBars in the options and you're pretty much set.

You might find this of interest, a post by Kateymoss recent on this forum covering the decisions made regarding their own UI.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post25665690
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Just use ElvUI and either TellMeWhen or WeakAuras and you're set; no need for a guide. Turn of things like AuraBars in the options and you're pretty much set.
    Seems simple enough. I mainly have just played DPS since BC, but want to jump into main spec healing, and would like to make sure I have it set up optimally.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    You might find this of interest, a post by Kateymoss recent on this forum covering the decisions made regarding their own UI.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post25665690
    Trust me, I've seen this, and I'm in love with it. I don't know how I would get it to work for me, since Pally is my main class, I don't have my keybinds optimized, and I don't even know my keybinds by heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it is a Decent set of Raid / Part frames and a way to track cooldowns of spells. I use an ElvUI Base with a bunch of plugins. VuhDo and Weak Auras.

Here is my UI...

(Click for Full Size)

My raid frames used to be underneath my character when I raided 10 man but as I now raid 25 I off set them to the left.

My Weak auras track things from Hand of Sac on my Focus Target (as on Malkorok Heroic we are solo soaking Blood Rage with a monk and I want a nice big icon so I can track the 5 total Hand of Sacs he will be getting and when I need to use my 2 (Clemency FTW). I also use another Weak Aura to track Devo Aura because we can have upto 5 paladins in the raid so if we need to roll Devos I like to see when mine is due. I also use Weak Auras to track my Trinket/Meta/Weapon Enchant Procs too because I find that nice to know and if I can line up Divine plea with DSoD even better. I have a bar of icons above my raid frames that just tracks what spells are usable and what are on CD and a Light's Hammer Weak Aura because it only last 14 secs and I wanna know when it has gone. I also use it to track my big 3min/2min Cooldowns as well.

Also the other thing you need is a good set of Raid Frames because if you cant track your external cooldowns, debuffs, incoming heals, shields on people then why bother IMO. I would say Get either VuhDo or Grid+Clique to heal with. Personally I find VuhDo a pain in the arse to set up but it works so getting a little pissed at it is worth it in my opinion.

Other than that I would say to make a good healer UI after Raid Frames and something to track spells/procs like TMW or WeakAuras the rest is up to you to be honest. That is just an explanation of what I personally do and what works for me but the best way to make a healer UI is to just Trial and Error, thats how I figured out what I do.

I have mine setup pretty similar to Fractalize on all my healers (Bank-alt in this case), excluding the VuhDo options of course. And I use TellMeWhen because it's better than WeakAuras (/dig /giggle)

Both of your UIs look pretty nice.

Is there an easy way to configure two different overall profiles for you? Currently I just use ElvUI everything.. so swapping between Basic DPS layout and Heal layout is relatively easy. Just curious if it's possible with the additions you guys have on there and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by xZora View Post

Is there an easy way to configure two different overall profiles for you? Currently I just use ElvUI everything.. so swapping between Basic DPS layout and Heal layout is relatively easy. Just curious if it's possible with the additions you guys have on there and whatnot.
    I raid as both Shadow and Disc. I use a variety of addons, as you can see below, in addition to Elvui:

My WA's are specific to each spec (which is an easy load option in the WA config, for spec only, or player name only etc.) My ExtraCD tracker auto detects whatever I have equipped, which is wonderful. Elvui knows to switch my frames to dark when I go shadow. Bartender also recognizes per spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xZora View Post

There is for ElvUI. I know VuhDo has the option 2 load a Profile based on "spec 1" and "spec 2" and for Weak Auras you can set auras to load based on Talent Spec and selected talents.

Here is where the option is in ElvUI.

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalize View Post
    There is for ElvUI. I know VuhDo has the option 2 load a Profile based on "spec 1" and "spec 2" and for Weak Auras you can set auras to load based on Talent Spec and selected talents.

Here is where the option is in ElvUI.

Yeah, I know it's built into Elv, but I wanted to see if most of the other main addons had dual profile features as well.

It depends on what other AddOns you want to go with it. I have the same ElvUI profile copied to all my characters so it's the same, and things like TellMeWhen setup different for all the specs, and enabling VuhDo for my healers. A few class/spec specific ones like BloodShield Tracker, Comergy, JSHB etc and that's about it. You can use AddOn Control Panel and save enable/disable specific sets of addons for your chars if you need to as well.

Things that make a good UI:
    • Clear screen - Remove clutter; be able to see what you are stood in; remove SCT or if like me you like to see it, move it to the side, disable overheals and merge ticks of HoTs etc. Don't have multiple raid frames (I know some people that have Default, Healbot and things like Decursive all enabled at the same time...)
    • Something to track cooldowns and stuff you need for your spec. See the TMW I have to the right of my player frame below/on the Priest.
    • Good Raid Frames - VuhDo is usually the go-to Healing addon, it's simply better than the others atm imo.

My Monk as an example of my UI (barely) changing between specs. It's not perfect for either, but it's more than enough.

DPS ~

Healer ~

(honestly not sure why I have Action Bars shown, just feels weird without them even if I don't need them at all )
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-03-08 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    It depends on what other AddOns you want to go with it. I have the same ElvUI profile copied to all my characters so it's the same, and things like TellMeWhen setup different for all the specs, and enabling VuhDo for my healers. A few class/spec specific ones like BloodShield Tracker, Comergy, JSHB etc and that's about it. You can use AddOn Control Panel and save enable/disable specific sets of addons for your chars if you need to as well.

Things that make a good UI:
    • Clear screen - Remove clutter; be able to see what you are stood in; remove SCT or if like me you like to see it, move it to the side, disable overheals and merge ticks of HoTs etc. Don't have multiple raid frames (I know some people that have Default, Healbot and things like Decursive all enabled at the same time...)
    • Something to track cooldowns and stuff you need for your spec. See the TMW I have to the right of my player frame below/on the Priest.
    • Good Raid Frames - VuhDo is usually the go-to Healing addon, it's simply better than the others atm imo.

My Monk as an example of my UI (barely) changing between specs. It's not perfect for either, but it's more than enough.

DPS ~

Healer ~

(honestly not sure why I have Action Bars shown, just feels weird without them even if I don't need them at all )
    Yeah, I just have a 'basic' Elv profile that I put on all of my characters, with a few things changed for healer vs. DPS. But if I were to add in things like VuhDo or WA/TMW, want to make sure it can easily transfer from my Ret spec to my Holy spec, and vice versa.

I still need to work on the actual setup alone, positioning of everything, what to and what not to display. I have xCT, and put the main numbers on the far sides, and then put the crits in the middle (where it would normally show up) just for a personal preference.

But for healers, so you would suggest VuhDo and TMW/WA?

Yeah for healers go with VuhDo, and for EVERYONE go with TMW or WA. You can enable auras for spec/class specific (and much, much more) easily in both so it's no bother when changing specs. See the Monk one above, it moves from a U-shape (ish, not all shown :P) around my DPS to just at the side of my VuhDo for healer.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-03-09 at 01:32 PM.