[Proving Grounds]:Tank - Help !

I'm really frustrated...

As a prot warrior who tanked all the encounters in TBC, including Illidan P2 (which whoever knows was hard as hell to tank those elementals) - I feel like I'm being mocked by that proving grounds thingy as a tank.

with my gear scaled down to 463 I'm not only expected to move accordingly and protect my idiotic panda who doesn't really heal me and I have to take care of myself - I'm also expected to do enormous amount of DPS from wave to wave.

I need some help.

On protection I went on: Warbringer, Impending Victory, Disrupting Shout (for faraway kicks), Shockwave, Mass Spell Reflection and Bloodbath
    for glyphs: hold the line (extra revenge dmg), heavy repercussions (extra shield slam dmg), and death from above (reduce cd on heroic leap).
    While being 463 I still keep 7.5% soft hit cap and 15% expertise while the rest is dedicated on mastery/parry.

Does anyone have some tips on how I can do it more cleverly ? my primary problem is I wave 16 (buffed wing-guardians) which hit me like a truck - and I usually get to that point without any CDs left.

Potions are not allowed, my legendary cloak proc isn't working, my legendary meta gem not even working (should I even use the cloak?)

would love to hear some advices/hints from people who succeeded in that area
    "Remember to take ALL things in moderation.. Even World of Warcraft" :]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazad View Post
    I'm really frustrated...

As a prot warrior who tanked all the encounters in TBC, including Illidan P2 (which whoever knows was hard as hell to tank those elementals) - I feel like I'm being mocked by that proving grounds thingy as a tank.

with my gear scaled down to 463 I'm not only expected to move accordingly and protect my idiotic panda who doesn't really heal me and I have to take care of myself - I'm also expected to do enormous amount of DPS from wave to wave.

I need some help.

On protection I went on: Warbringer, Impending Victory, Disrupting Shout (for faraway kicks), Shockwave, Mass Spell Reflection and Bloodbath
    for glyphs: hold the line (extra revenge dmg), heavy repercussions (extra shield slam dmg), and death from above (reduce cd on heroic leap).
    While being 463 I still keep 7.5% soft hit cap and 15% expertise while the rest is dedicated on mastery/parry.

Does anyone have some tips on how I can do it more cleverly ? my primary problem is I wave 16 (buffed wing-guardians) which hit me like a truck - and I usually get to that point without any CDs left.

Potions are not allowed, my legendary cloak proc isn't working, my legendary meta gem not even working (should I even use the cloak?)

Legendary meta and cloak dont work...

10+ Year Old Account
    She heals you for an enormous amount with her lazy HoT, it's just you also take enormous damage. You also don't have to do 'enormous' DPS, your normal rotation is fine especially if you catch some stuff in fire pools (which makes them die fast). Also, you should attack whatever's she's attacking when she's not AoEing, since even if her target choice is dumb, focusing fire makes the mobs die way faster and less mobs is always more survivable.

Warbringer isn't needed here and IV isn't either, you're much better off with Enraged Regen as an additional CD since PG damage rolls into you in very predictable waves and sometimes 1 extra big CD is all you need to sail through. Drop BB for Conc Blow since an extra Stun to buy you time when you spike or prevent a Large Flamecaller from ever casting a single Pyro on you will buy you way more than BB's DPS boost (Sikari does most of the work here).

Disrupting, Shockwave, and Mass Reflect are all good choices.

Glyphs... DFA, Silence Throw, 120 Rage. Stopping Large Flamecallers and pooling 2 Shield Blocks before the insane larger waves is invaluable; slightly more DPS isn't once you master flame pool exploitation since Sikari handles most of the backwork in this regard.

Stats are fine, Prot War is not very stat-sensitive IMO.

This is all about stretching your survival out as long as possible and that's what you should focus on. To help with DPS, exploit any pull with fire pools and use stuns and smart positioning to trap stuff in the pools. This can make the difference between having to use a CD or not. It's not necessary up to Gold, but you sound like you're in Endless and I find fire pools mandatory there.

Haven't tried Endless Tank that much (stopped after Gold, and will refuse to touch it until I get word on bugged achievements), but one thing to keep in mind is that the Monk's AoE hits a lot harder than her ST damage, so you want her AoE'ing as much as possible.

Deleted
    Double time is better.

Impending victory isn't that good on tank in proving grounds. At least for me it didn't do any good so I went with Second Wind. Not only does that save you sometimes but when you find yourself in a difficult position you can always stun and run, so that you're health replenishes.

When I completed the proving grounds, disrupting shout was okay but since Blizzard nerfed it to the point it's now useless (same cd with pummel), I would take Piercing Howl for those running away scenarios.

Not sure about the last tier talents. It's good to have an extra stun in the form of Storm Bolt but I think I used BB as well so not sure.

I did this quite some time ago so I may not remember everything but what I basically did is save the damage cooldowns for the waves of Wind-guards which then are followed by Conquerors. You'd also want to have some def cd available as well. Here you need to do everything you can to keep them stunned as much as possible. So jump in, stun, pop cds, use fear, attack one of the targets while the rest flee, survive under damage for some time, kite, wait for stun, repeat.

Also keep in mind that with each new wave the mobs get stronger so you have to learn to keep your cds ready for those heavy hitting waves. When you get closer to the end you'll mostly need to kite, wait for second wind to replenish your health till 30 %, go in with stuns, nuke the mobs and be ready to jump away.

Dont forget about mocking banner as well during kiting since mobs tend to switch on the panda.
    Last edited by mmocf002b94213; 2014-03-07 at 01:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spell Reflect, too. If you're totally swamped and can't get to a Flamecaller right away, Spell Reflect + Mass Reflect chained together buys you a lot of health and is unaffected by being able to close melee (unlike your other tools).

The problem with Piercing Howl is that even with it active you will rarely outrun anything since the mobs have insane movespeed boosts. I found that having Disrupting for last-second not-quite-melee Flamecaller stops proved marginally useful.

Double Stamina trinkets if you have them, too. Preferably not Vial of Living Corruption because the CD reduction is pretty awful scaled down to 463, and extra on-use or proc defenses is very valuable because again, 1 more CD is sometimes all you need to slip through.

Agree Mocking Banner is amazing oshit tool here, just slam it on the stupid panda's head and she shuts up for 30 seconds.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2014-03-07 at 01:28 PM.

Deleted
    True about piercing howl on latter waves, forgot that the speed also increases. Disrupting shout does indeed work good against Flamecallers.

Should add about intervene as well. Rarely will you have the luxury to pop banners just for intervene but such situation may occur or you just may find yourself far from the banner because of kiting - intervene works wonders if heroic leap is on cd. I'm not sure if intervene works on the panda? Didn't think of it back then lol, but you should try and see it if works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually that's another good point. IMO using Demo Banner for Intervene kiting is actually more useful than its intended purpose since the 10% is such a flimsy defensive boost.

Well, it depends I guess. It's good as a last, desperate DR CD but don't lose any sleep about turning it into a kiting tool.

Mocking & Skull should both be used for their intended purpose unless it's literally life/death.

One of the nice things about PGs is that a lot of the awesome toolkit that Prot Warrior just sits on in raids because of "balance", can actually be broken out and used incredibly effectively. You're like a Swiss Army Tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't completed 30 waves, but my first try gave me 17 waves.
    I found this guide when I was looking for hints after a few tries of failure.
    Learn these tactics and you'll get it done in no time. I just lost the will to do it after I got 30 waves in dps on my warrior.

For legendary items etc, the procs won't work, but the raw stats will. However, I would suggest to use a different meta gem, as the proc is the one thing that makes it worth while outside of PG/CM. The cloak has good stats and a socket, so it's a decent cloak.
    For 30 waves though, gear isn't THAT important. You can do it with the legendary items just as well. You kinda only want to maximize your gear if you push for higher ratings, i.e beyond 60+ waves.
    Last edited by Fog; 2014-03-07 at 08:20 PM.
    Fog the Proven Assailant
    <The Internet People>
    Stormrage EU
    Stream Twitter WeakAuras - discontinued

Deleted
    I managed to get to wave 43 (Maybe, i can't remember and it doesn't update on any sites for some reason). Biggest advice i could give is to take piercing howl, only shockwave when you know it'll hit 3 targets and kite kite kite. The 3 winged ones is the wave i dreaded most but exactly the same situation, shockwave, howl and instantly run/leap/intervene banners/charge the ambushers that spawn. The npc does all the damage and wont take aggro unless you get knocked back by the winged guardians (even that wont always reset aggro with deep wounds/bloodbath ticking)

This may be taken in a negative light, but if you only want the achievement and nothing else level a dk and do one day of lfr then proceed to oneshot 30waves.

Deleted
    I'm really frustrated...

I need some help.

Well, at that wave you shouldn't need neither shield wall nor last stand. Try to gather the 3 guys, grab a bit of vengeance, pop bloodbath, reck and skull, proceed to rip a new one in the add the panda is attacking, and shockwave the instant your health is dropping too much. When shockwave runs out, again, let your health drop, aoe fear and don't touch the other ones. One add will be dead by the time the fear ends. Shockwave should be coming back again in a few seconds/be ready if not. If something goes wrong, put demo shout and ER after that.

PD: The only healing you get is a hot that she won't fail to refresh, regardless of LoS. Manage it, she won't use any other heals.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2014-03-08 at 01:05 AM.

Deleted
    Just copy pasting the 'guide' I wrote long ago (few days after PGs got implemented).
    I've not played for quite a while, so there might be some new tips and tricks. This got me to wave 31. If you look me up, you can see I hardly have decent gear. When I did the PGs, it was even worse.

"Protection Warrior guide

Info; had about 463k hp, 52% mastery (Mastery build is really recommended here as a lot of damage is physical), make sure you have 7.5% hit and expertise.
    Talents: Double Time, Impending Victory, Piercing Howl, Shockwave, Vigilance, Storm Bolt
    Glyphs: Heavy Repercussions, Enraged Speed, Death From Above, Intimidating Shout (minor)

Note: As of September 18th 2013, Sikari's Crackling Jade Thunderstorm now has a chance to break your Intimidating Shout. Keep this in mind when Intimidating Shout is recommended in the guide below!

Wave 1: Large Illusionary Wind-Guard Large Illusionary Ripper
    The first wave is fairly easy. You should be able to survive this wave with the use of Shield Block. You can use Shockwave, but I recommend you to use it in the first 20 seconds as you want it to be ready for the next wave.

Wave 2: Large Illusionary Forager x4, Small Illusionary Forager x4
    Midfight spawns: Small Illusionary Ambusher x2
    You want to be moving to their spawning point at the end of wave 1. The moment they spawn, open with a Thunder Clap followed by a Shockwave. Then run to the opposite side of the room (straight line). Wait there until the mobs get close to you, then charge the monkey that spawns next to you. Use an intimidating shout to fear the monkey and some of the virmen. Then you want to run away from the feared mobs (I moved past three barricades). Then wait for the mobs to stack on you, shockwave them. (Note: if you kited right, you should be near the circle where they initially spawned from), charge the monkey that's attacking your healer at this point and keep on running to the wall. By the time the virmen catch up, the small ones have died and the large ones drop dead.

Wave 3: Large Illusionary Flamecaller x2, Large Illusionary Ripper x2
    Make sure you stand on one of the two spawning spots and open with a Thunder Clap so you can pick up the melee add and caster that spawn on that side. Charge the melee add on the other side and bring both the melee adds to the caster on that side. Shockwave all of them, heroic leap back to the place you started wave 3. Position yourself in such a way that the two Rippers stand in the lava after they've made their way to you. Use Spell Reflect and/or Storm Bolt to mitigate damage from the casters. Other than that, rotate between Shield Block and Shield Barrier.

Wave 4: Small Illusionary Conqueror Large Illusionary Wind-Guard
    Midfight spawn: Large Illusionary Ambusher
    This wave isn't much of a problem. Just make sure you avoid the stuns from the conquerors. The monkey will spawn near the end of the enrage on the conqueror. This will allow you to focus on dodging his stuns and staying alive, taunt the monkey when it's close to the healer and then shockwave all three adds. Depending on which mob gets dps'd after, you might take one of them into wave 5. Just keep up shield block the entire time and you should be fine.

Wave 5: Small Illusionary Flamecaller Small Illusionary Ripper x2
    Midfight spawns: Small Illusionary Ambusher x3
    Make sure you end wave 4 on the circle these mobs spawn upon. Open with a Thunder Clap and, if needed, use Shockwave or Intimidating Shout. Personally I like to save these to stun the mobs inside a firepool so they stack the debuff. Other than that, pick up the monkeys and you should be fine. Keep Shield Block up and Spell Reflect/Storm Bolt the caster.

Wave 6: Large Illusionary Wind-Guard x3
    This is one of the more annoying waves for a warrior. The way I dealt with it was by opening with a Thunder Clap and Shockwave the moment they got close to the healer. Make sure you have Shield Block up before you engage them, or their initial attacks might hurt a lot. After this, just keep up Shield Block. Once your first Shockwave stun ends, drop a Mocking Banner next to Sikari. Whenever one of these mobs switches, they'll instantly come back to you. Now it's just a matter of kiting them a bit. If you keep some distance between you and Sikari, you'll have two of them on you most of the time. Keep up Shield Block. When you have two of them left, Storm Bolt one, disarm the other. At most you want to use Demoralizing Shout here. Start moving the spot where Wave 7 spawns.

Wave 7: Small Illusionary Conqueror Small Illusionary Forager x4
    You want to open with a Thunder Clap to stack everything up, then instantly Shockwave. Move to the middle of the room, once the mobs are stacked up on you again, use Initmidating Shout. As soon as the fear runs out, make sure you are at a bit of a distance from the mobs, allowing you to buy some time for Shockwave to be back. Once the conqueror enrages, pop shield wall and use Vigilance on Sikari. Spam taunt the two Wind-Guards, or they might overwhelm Sikari. One of them should die shortly after this, you'll end up taking either a wind-guard or a conqueror to the next wave.

Wave 8: Small Illusionary Flamecaller
    Midfight spawns: Large Illusionary Ambusher x3, Small Illusionary Ambusher
    Sikari will end the conqueror rather fast. Position yourself in such a way behind a fire pool, that you can taunt monkeys that are in the middle of the room in such a way they'll stand in the fire pool once they reach you. If you fail to do so, Sikari won't have enough dps to clear everything before this wave ends and then it might get ugly in wave 9.

Wave 9: Small Illusionary Wind-Guard x2, Large Illusionary Ripper x2, Small Illusionary Ripper
    Midfight spawns: Small Illusionary Ambusher x2
    You want to open this fight with a Thunder Clap into a Shockwave. As soon as the Shockwave runs out, Intimidating Shout. As soon as the fear runs out, make sure you have the rage for 2x Shield Block, use Demoralizing Shout and wait for Shockwave to be ready. Once it's ready, instantly use it. Then follow it up by dropping a Mocking Banner and from this point on, just survive. Personally I used Shield Wall the moment they got out of the Shockwave. Kite them around a bit and they will die.

Wave 10: Large Illusionary Conqueror Large Illusionary Flamecaller
    Midfight spawns: Large Illusionary Ambusher
    Pick up the conqueror, then go for the caster. At this point wait for the first stun from the conqueror, dodge it and position yourself behind a pool, so when he comes for you he gets the debuff. Keep an eye on the caster as well. Try to keep it stunned, feared, or reflect the incoming spells. Sikari sometimes goes for the caster first, sometimes for the conqueror. When the conqueror enrages, watch your step. His stuns have a bigger radius at this point, so make sure you dodge it or it will hurt. Use Last Stand and Demoralizing Banner to live through it. When his enrage ends, the monkey will spawn. Pick up the monkey and try to debuff him as well. At this point it's just a matter of properly using Shield Block. Disarm / Storm Bolt whenever the situation looks a bit scary.

If you have any questions, just give me a whisper!
    Marty-Sylvanas (Horde EU)"

(http://wowhead.com/achievement=8508#comments) -> Comment from Syzyg1992

Hope this helps. Glhf
    Last edited by mmoca28d70c08c; 2014-03-10 at 07:32 PM.