Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    In what kind of fucked up country would that happen?
    The same country where a man is suing McDonalds for $1.5 million because he didn't get enough napkins, and the argument with the manager caused so much emotional distress he can't work.

That country.

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesa View Post
    This.

Would you prefer realm first achievements over a raid tier?

Lol you're as bad as the devs calling it content. The time it takes to implement those achievements is about 1% of the time it takes for a raid. If they pushed a raid back or out because they did or didn't do this, something isn't right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    This thread seems kind of silly, they didn't axe it because 'implementing it was a hassle' but for philosophical reasons because of what people tend to do when rushing to the realm first achievements.

Except people always rushed and people will still rush. The achievements were barely even a carrot on the stick for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazaar View Post
    The same country where a man is suing McDonalds for $1.5 million because he didn't get enough napkins, and the argument with the manager caused so much emotional distress he can't work.

That country.
    I was going to reply to this is well; you would not believe some of the insane lawsuits that actually win in US courts. Like a burglar who sued a homeowner who shot him...and won. If that doesn't make you reach for some whiskey and mutter "what the f---", nothing will.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Deleted
    helps prevent the rush i guess

Only lasts a day and affects a few people.

Removing saves time investigating reports of exploitative behavior that happens every single fucking expansion. "Realm First X" achievements basically encourage degenerate gameplay with people finding bots for professions, hacks for things like Archaeology/Mining/Herbing, exploiting things like the Fishing incident between Tanaris/Uldum, mob spawns for levels, etc.

Makes Blizzard less accountable for the actions of players and the health risks they take to go for the achieves. Every expansion, there's a subset of players who want to rush to max level so fast that they chug down energy drinks to ignore sleep, don't properly hydrate (energy drinks don't properly hydrate you) or eat, ignore their medicines, etc. People will still go for it but it puts the blame on the player instead of some idiot parent trying to sue Blizzard for their precious little Jimmy chugging down Monster and having to go to the emergency room because he had to get the achievement.

There's simply too many negatives to having it in. Removing them is Blizzard saying that they're not encouraging that type of behavior like it could have been argued in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Only lasts a day and affects a few people.

Removing saves time investigating reports of exploitative behavior that happens every single fucking expansion. "Realm First X" achievements basically encourage degenerate gameplay with people finding bots for professions, hacks for things like Archaeology/Mining/Herbing, exploiting things like the Fishing incident between Tanaris/Uldum, mob spawns for levels, etc.

Makes Blizzard less accountable for the actions of players and the health risks they take to go for the achieves. Every expansion, there's a subset of players who want to rush to max level so fast that they chug down energy drinks to ignore sleep, don't properly hydrate (energy drinks don't properly hydrate you) or eat, ignore their medicines, etc. People will still go for it but it puts the blame on the player instead of some idiot parent trying to sue Blizzard for their precious little Jimmy chugging down Monster and having to go to the emergency room because he had to get the achievement.

There's simply too many negatives to having it in. Removing them is Blizzard saying that they're not encouraging that type of behavior like it could have been argued in the past.
    Remembered when I first read Kungen's leveling in WOTLK

I did the same at the start of MoP, alas on a much, much lower scale.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KurenaiXIII View Post
    IIRC, can't find the twitter quotes (but they're up on MMO-C frontpage), it was only compelling for the few people who got them and encouraged behavior they didn't like to see.
    i'm calling bullshit. it's because of connected realms. by the time wod lands warsong server will be merged with 9 others. is that 10 firsts for each class or just 1?

blaming it on player behavior is just as bad as saying item squish is due to players not liking the big numbers when in fact it's due to boss health surpassing the limits of their 32-bit game engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noonemonk View Post
    Not complaining, just curious if they have stated the logic behind the removal of realm first lvl 100 / prof acheives?
    they said it promotes exploitative gameplay. IE athene's bullshit world firsts.

either way ill still race to 100, raiding guild and all need to be 100 first so i can catch the "spamming level 100 heroic dungeuns" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    It kind of encourages unhealthy gaming/living, people drinking shit loads of red bull and what ever else, and no doubt exploiting to bypass a lot of content too
    This is a terrible reason. I managed server first 85 player and server first 90 DK and the only thing I had to sacrifice was a few hours of sleep as I took naps beforehand. No red bull or other energy drinks, and I ate snacks and light meals as I normally would. Preparing for the race in advance goes a long way.

I also didn't exploit anything. Just practicing on the PTR and finding what quests were efficient, and when dungeon grinding was worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Those 10-15 hours which people will play unheathily for regardless, GJ blizz.

Removing these achievements took more effort than just leaving them in. Seems ridiculous and won't change anything.
    Well, as someone with realm first leveling achievements, I disagree. I fully planned on doing some unhealthy things to go for realm first 100 but now I'm absolutely going to dial it back. There's definitely a big difference between leveling fast and hard and leveling for realm first. It also cuts out a couple hundreds hours of route research that I was going to have to do on beta.

I'm fine with this removal to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Well, as someone with realm first leveling achievements, I disagree. I fully planned on doing some unhealthy things to go for realm first 100 but now I'm absolutely going to dial it back. There's definitely a big difference between leveling fast and hard and leveling for realm first. It also cuts out a couple hundreds hours of route research that I was going to have to do on beta.

I'm fine with this removal to be honest.
    I think you are massively exaggerating. Beta is very long and you will know your routes months before the game comes out. It won't affect your health at all in any regard and "researching beta" is going to be done regardless in EVERY GAME EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I'm not sure how unhealthy you can actually be sitting at a computer for 15 hours. You're really going to struggle to be more unhealthy than an average teens friday night party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

It encourages unhealthy gameplay at best, and downright nasty and undesirable behaviour.
    Between cheating/exploiting it was never a fair race.
    Athene as an example was abusing the tagging mechanic, where he would tag and then assisting players would do the killing.
    He did only a fraction of the work, but earned the feat regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

clearly game is going f2p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Except people always rushed and people will still rush. The achievements were barely even a carrot on the stick for it.
    Yeah, how dare they try to encourage healthy gaming!
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Those 10-15 hours which people will play unheathily for regardless, GJ blizz.

Removing these achievements took more effort than just leaving them in. Seems ridiculous and won't change anything.
    So why complain they're gone?
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    So why complain they're gone?
    I'm not really complaining as much as calling out all the sad little sheep who depend on every word daddy blizzard says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    It encourages unhealthy gameplay at best, and downright nasty and undesirable behaviour.
    Between cheating/exploiting it was never a fair race.
    Athene as an example was abusing the tagging mechanic, where he would tag and then assisting players would do the killing.
    He did only a fraction of the work, but earned the feat regardless.
    Using an example of world first is stupid.

That's like saying having a realm first achievement for killing heroic bosses was a bad idea because it encouraged people to use exploits, see Lich King saranite bombs or Garrosh solo healing. That's not required for realm first, it was something the world first group did.

95% of the people in the race didn't need or use exploits, I've had realm first warlock in cata and realm first 90 in MOP, all I did was quest.
    I didn't even miss any sleep it was such a quick sprint, let alone need to exploit.

And guess what? I'll be doing the same race again, regardless of a FOS, because it has nothing to do with a FOS and everything to do with player mentality towards wanting to get to max level asap and start prepping / enjoying max level content, hell - I imagine most of the server will still know who hits 100 first regardless of being spammed with an achieve.

People complaining about these things really seem to have no idea what getting realm first entails and are blinded by what news sites have reported world first taking, which is a different race entirely, and neither they or blizz devs seem to realise that removing a FOS changes nothing, the achievement is still there, it's just a real achievment, not what the video game gives you a little badge for.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2014-03-09 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Using an example of world first is stupid.

That's like saying having a realm first achievement for killing heroic bosses was a bad idea because it encouraged people to use exploits, see Lich King saranite bombs or Garrosh solo healing. That's not required for realm first, it was something the world first group did.

95% of the people in the race didn't need or use exploits, I've had realm first warlock in cata and realm first 90 in MOP, all I did was quest.
    I didn't even miss any sleep it was such a quick sprint, let alone need to exploit.

And guess what? I'll be doing the same race again, regardless of a FOS, because it has nothing to do with a FOS and everything to do with player mentality towards wanting to get to max level asap and start prepping / enjoying max level content, hell - I imagine most of the server will still know who hits 100 first regardless of being spammed with an achieve.

People complaining about these things really seem to have no idea what getting realm first entails and are blinded by what news sites have reported world first taking, which is a different race entirely, and neither they or blizz devs seem to realise that removing a FOS changes nothing, the achievement is still there, it's just a real achievment, not what the video game gives you a little badge for.
    stopped reading at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the competition there is in being the first to achievement the maximum level, the feeling that you've that you can't stop and you must stay focused until your goal is accomplished.

For the other hand, people QQ because some of them don't have the opportunity to do this because they've school the other day, or they've work and blabla.

This expansion I managed to be the first player to reach level 90 on my Monk and I received a few funny whispers telling how bad I was because I had leveled 81-90 faster than they managed to level 85-90. After this first week, I had my Monk equipped and ready to raid and I had my Druid at level 90 and with a few pieces ready to raid if it was necessary.

The excuse they gave that people lose feeling of leveling is crap, because I lost 21 hours leveling my Monk and I had the right feeling with my Druid two or tree days after as well.

Also, I think they're removing this because they don't want people to rush and they don't gain anything as well. When this expansion was released, you had a few players from each realm doing RaF leveling for their monks, let's say 10 per server and you can do the math to see how much they won.
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

Deleted
    Well, there's been a whole bunch of exploiting and shit every single new expansion since people will do literally anything to get these pesky FoS:es.

Now we who enjoy the story can actually take the time to watch those cinematics and read that quest text.