Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I would bet money on the model just being a placeholder. As cool as the new player models are, it would seem really weird for Thrall to go from looking unique to looking just like us. More likely the unique leader models will use the same tech as our models from now on, which would allow them to switch out armour when necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostblade View Post
    for those who are worried about doomhammer. Don't forget that after thrall got Doomhammer the model for the hammer got editted by thrall himself, giving it the frostwolf symbol. maybe that will cover it up enough.
    Wouldnt it be otherwise ? I mean you pretend to be stranger, but wear crest of people you "just" met. It would rise suspition or at least someone would notice that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    Aquamonkey you're good at ferreting out quotes! I want to say that Doomhammer got his armor somewhere in the second half of RotH but I don't have the book on me. Think you might be able to find it?
    Orgrim was equipped with the orcs' first attempts at heavy armor when they attacked a hunting party near Telmor.
    The Blackrock clan, with Blackhand himself in the vanguard, had begged for the honor of being the first to strike. There had been some resentment and grumbling, but the hunting skills of the Blackrock were legendary, and they were logical first choice as they also lived fairly near Telmor, one of the smaller, more isolated cities. They had been given the first efforts at armor, swords, metal-tipped arrows, and other weapons of war that would bring down the draenei.
    Orgrim, the Doomhammer strapped across his back and clad from head to foot in metal that made him chafe and feel confined, rode at his chieftain’s side. The wolf beneath him seemed to have an equal dislike of the heavy armor, and now and then turned his massive head to snap at Orgrim’s leg, as if at some insect that annoyed him. He also seemed to be laboring a bit as he bore his rider across the soft meadow grass, panting more than usual, pink tongue lolling.

--Rise of the Horde, ebook p. 185
    Whether or not that was his iconic armor, I don't know. But if it's not, that would have to come later as they improved their armorsmithing.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-03-09 at 06:31 PM. Reason: They were attacking a hunting party, not Telmor itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Its more about how frostwolves would react for that armor. At the end even if they are isolationist clan, they would probably be familiar with markings of blackrocks, wouldnt they ?
    Actions speak louder than words or letters for the orcish people, so Thrall proving he wants to help by actively helping would rather dissuade them from that.

As well, those are orcish markings, mainly. Horde in particular. Different from the Iron Horde marking:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Orgrim was equipped with the orcs' first attempts at heavy armor when they attacked Telmor.
    * highfives Aquamonkey

I forget, is that before or after Shamanism is off the table?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    * highfives Aquamonkey

I forget, is that before or after Shamanism is off the table?
    Before. But I don't know if that was referring to his iconic armor. I would side on it not being the Doomplate since it was just their first attempt. Their skills at metallurgy and armorsmithing improved over time, and he probably got better armor later.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-03-07 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Before. But I don't know if that was referring to his iconic armor. I would side on it not being the Doomplate since it was just their first attempt. Their skills at metallurgy and armorsmithing improved over time, and he probably got better armor later.
    That's what I was thinking. Sounds like Thrall doesn't have too much to worry about, as long as he can keep from mentioning his stuff by name.

Deleted
    "our story"?

I hadn't realised we were lying to the Frostwolves. What exactly are we telling them if not that we're from the future?

What people seem to forget is that the Iron Horde invasion force comes out of nowhere and the strike force led by Thrall and Maraad is very rushed.

Thrall does not know the nature of these orcs and who they are led by as evidenced to his surprise that Durotan is Frostwolf chieftain in the initial Frostfire Ridge starting quest. When rampaging orcs are coming to kill your loved ones the last thing he is probably thinking of is making sure to take off his armor as to not cause suspicion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Well, regardless of the Plate Armor and the Hammer, I cannot help myself from finding rather...complicated passing yourself of as a "distant traveler" when you're perfectly identical to the common member of this Draneor's native race, minus the green skin. I'm pretty curious to see how Thrall will excatly handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vraul Jawrip View Post
    Blizz is actually trying to change Thrall a bit, fusing his old and new appearances together.

I highly doubt they would be able to make thrall look like there concept art here. sure they tried it with cataclysm and his hobo hood look, but I really do doubt they will try to make yet another unique character model for him, making the excuse they ran out of time and resources.

don't hold your breath.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I highly doubt they would be able to make thrall look like there concept art here. sure they tried it with cataclysm and his hobo hood look, but I really do doubt they will try to make yet another unique character model for him, making the excuse they ran out of time and resources.

don't hold your breath.
    Why would they make what was clearly a placeholder model if they didn't intend to create a brand new model for him? They would have just kept him with his Cataclysm model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Well, regardless of the Plate Armor and the Hammer, I cannot help myself from finding rather...complicated passing yourself of as a "distant traveler" when you're perfectly identical to the common member of this Draneor's native race, minus the green skin. I'm pretty curious to see how Thrall will excatly handle it.
    Well the skin color could be explained by thrall being traveler from diffrent continent. Green/brown skin for orcs could be same as white/black skin is for humans - dependant on enviroment. Add to that, orcs not being the biggest explorers, and frostwolves isolating themselves, and that argument isnt bad. Especially since we know draenor consist of more than one continent.

On the other hand if you wield hammer bearing crest of people you "just" met, it would probably draw suspicion. Especially since it seems frostwolves put they logo everywhere they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Why would they make what was clearly a placeholder model if they didn't intend to create a brand new model for him? They would have just kept him with his Cataclysm model.
    because there naive and think they could manage it, but like so much else won't end up doing it because they run out of time or resources to do it.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    because there naive and think they could manage it, but like so much else won't end up doing it because they run out of time or resources to do it.
    Like so much else? There are a lot of things on the wish list which never get done or take a long time sure, but when Blizzard actually puts stuff on the to do list it usually gets done. Certainly a new model won't take much time if they reuse skeletons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like so much else? There are a lot of things on the wish list which never get done or take a long time sure, but when Blizzard actually puts stuff on the to do list it usually gets done. Certainly a new model won't take much time if they reuse skeletons.
    Its weird, its almost like you agreed with the fact blizzard won't do it, but then tried to counter yourself with saying they will.
    The problem with having played this game for so long, having expectations, and them never quite meeting it, is you learn what you expect from developers in terms of what they get out, and you begin to realize how extremely limited they are. This goes for things like orcs having the same face in the updates, thrall being hunched against like before despite his cata model showing him straight, or dance studios.

You just learn to accept it, blizzard are not gods, they don't keep there promises, and you just suck it up get use to it.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Its weird, its almost like you agreed with the fact blizzard won't do it, but then tried to counter yourself with saying they will.
    The problem with having played this game for so long, having expectations, and them never quite meeting it, is you learn what you expect from developers in terms of what they get out, and you begin to realize how extremely limited they are. This goes for things like orcs having the same face in the updates, thrall being hunched against like before despite his cata model showing him straight, or dance studios.

You just learn to accept it, blizzard are not gods, they don't keep there promises, and you just suck it up get use to it.
    Again, Blizzard usually deliver on content when they actually move that content into active development. The fact that they changed Thrall's cataclysm model to the new player models quite clearly suggests that they're actively working on making a brand new model for him, and it will almost certainly be there at launch. If you mistake active development for Blizzard's wishlist of things that might happen someday, or you misinterpret what was being worked on and aren't satisfied, then that's not really Blizzard's fault.

The idea that Blizzard is so incompetent that they won't even have the resources to create a new model for Thrall is ridiculous, especially seeing new models like Vol'jin and Garrosh in Mists of Pandaria. Blizzard is clearly capable of new models.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Well the skin color could be explained by thrall being traveler from diffrent continent. Green/brown skin for orcs could be same as white/black skin is for humans - dependant on enviroment. Add to that, orcs not being the biggest explorers, and frostwolves isolating themselves, and that argument isnt bad. Especially since we know draenor consist of more than one continent.
    Not the best argument, but indeed not the worst either.

Anyway I don't think the Frostwolves were so isolated before the rise of the Iron Horde, so isn't so clear to which extent their knowledge about Draenor and the orcish race arrive. After all, unlike white or black skin in humans, the green skin in orcs is utterly unnatural, and if someone has a general knowledge of the clans in which his/her race is divided, becomes a bit difficult to buy the story of an unknown orc of an unknown clan coming from an unknown land of your planet.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

Deleted

On the other hand if you wield hammer bearing crest of people you "just" met, it would probably draw suspicion. Especially since it seems frostwolves put they logo everywhere they can.
    From the gameplay videos Durotan is aware what green skin means and is distrustful of Thrall as a result. But Drek'thar - who we have just rescued from Tanaan - vouches for him.

The Hammer could maybe be explained as some sort of appeasement or ingratiating measure - inscribing his weapon with the Frostwolf sigil as a show of loyalty and good faith.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the gameplay videos Durotan is aware what green skin means and is distrustful of Thrall as a result. But Drek'thar - who we have just rescued from Tanaan - vouches for him.
    Im not sure if durotan fully understand that green skin means "I decided to make a pact with demons". While he is distrustful, it can mean that he is simply suprised by this.

The Hammer could maybe be explained as some sort of appeasement or ingratiating measure - inscribing his weapon with the Frostwolf sigil as a show of loyalty and good faith.
    Well, its kinda akward.
    Durotan: Hello stranger to our lands who never met us, and is completely alien to our culture, i see that by HUGE coincidence you wear our mark !!!
    Thrall: Uhhhh, i read about it.... in uhhhh... "Pocket guide to draenor" ?
    Durotan: Oh, that explains all.
    Thrall: (Im a fuckin genius !!!!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not sure if durotan fully understand that green skin means "I decided to make a pact with demons". While he is distrustful, it can mean that he is simply suprised by this.
    Well, there is a clan of "alternate orcs" which have the green skin, thinking about it: the Stormreavers of Gul'dan. And I think the rest of the brown orcs know the reason for which they became that way. Thrall having his skin green could easily mark him as a Stormreaver, aka a Demon Lover.