Same Sex (Lesbian In This Case) Companion Relationships Available?

Forgive me incredibly shit memory regarding this, but I believe they patched this in at a later date. I think you have to go to a specific, new planet to find your new companion for such things? Kind of fucked up if true, isolating same sex relationships to insanely past launch and only on one planet where one assumes the gays are dropped off on. Anyway, regardless of my perverted need for a lesbian relationship in a video game, is it possible? Specifically for the Juggernaut and Knight or Bounty Hunter and Commando?

Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    Forgive me incredibly shit memory regarding this, but I believe they patched this in at a later date. I think you have to go to a specific, new planet to find your new companion for such things? Kind of fucked up if true, isolating same sex relationships to insanely past launch and only on one planet where one assumes the gays are dropped off on. Anyway, regardless of my perverted need for a lesbian relationship in a video game, is it possible? Specifically for the Juggernaut and Knight or Bounty Hunter and Commando?
    No same sex relationships available for companions still. The only same sex relationships exist on Makeb with some NPC's there.

idk how new this flashpoint is because i haven't kept up with game updates in a long time, but watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c0vVwz0yfY

she gets pretty heavy with that female sith, and judging by the ending there will be a quest line involving her later on.

so yeah, it'll be possible for all 4 of your classes once this patch comes out.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2014-03-08 at 01:10 AM.

So I asked my brother and his "husband" (since there is no same sex marriage in our state) how they felt about this when they started playing. He said that he was not upset by it as it is a fantasy game that we play, its not real life nor should it be a reflection of. I said well but its messed up that you cant be in a relationship of the same sex in game, he retorted that he is unaware of any same sex relationships in the star wars universe, and since we are "living" in the universe we shouldn't expect any kind of expectations of our real lives to be in a game world.

I was pretty suprised at someone that had fought his entire life to be "free" from this vision that love is always between a man and a woman that he would feel like this. He said to me that just like religion we cant hate someone for being different than us man, that would make us just as bad. Think back to the time when I was beat up in highschool by ****** (not gonna say his name) for being gay. I said ya I remember! He said that the only thing that made him have peace with that is to know that he didn't hold the same hate in his heart that ****** did.

I know they added the same sex flirts in the new planet and there may come a point where they put in same sex love with companion, but until they do just enjoy the universe that you get to immerse yourself in and enjoy that fact that its different then the life you life in now, as that is what fantasy is about.

Its not "fucked up" that they have not added the firsts to the rest of the game as that takes a ton of work so they added them to the new planet as a step of making sure to try and work it in as they move forward. I think its amazing they they see how strongly they care about this and have made even the time and effort to try and put this in. Disney is behind it as well as everything they do for the game story wise is always passed by them in some respects, that is what a license for a franchise is for.

It's just annoying when they have a mixed bag of "yes you can" and "no you can not" games. I'm purely asking because I'm a perverted bastard who enjoys making my female characters lesbians, but I'm all for equality having many friends past and present who've had a pretty fucking rough go of it for being the human being they are. It's still fucked up, although not intentional and probably a long stretch to make such a connection, but putting all the gays on one planet only is still messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    but putting all the gays on one planet only is still messed up.
    This wasn't some "Segregate ALL the gays!" thing. They didn't want to alter the existing characters as written (companions or existing NPC's you can flirt with), but they wanted to put something in. Seeing as they haven't added in any companions other than Treek recently (no steamy ewok love, apparently), they did the next most convenient thing: They added it into content that they were already working on rather than just ignore it completely.

I fully expect that if they ever do add in more companions of romanceable species (which I hope they do), that the companions will swing both ways. They're just apparently not working on companions (that we know of) right now.

Well at least... if all the gays are on the same planet... it would makes dating so much easier ! No more "is he gay ? straight ? bi ?" !

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This wasn't some "Segregate ALL the gays!" thing.
    Never said it was. It's still funny, and awkward, that you can literally say they tossed the gays on a single planet. None of it offends me or rustles my jimmies, of course. It's just both funny and awkward. I just added the qualifier that I'm good on equality and proper treatment so I don't sound like some asshole that I no doubt am. It's hard to read tone over the internet, but just assume I'm always cheerful, immature, and having a laugh or two.

No offense or insult meant to you, folks. Sorry if it did.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind if my shadow could make the sexy with Nadia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Well at least... if all the gays are on the same planet... it would makes dating so much easier ! No more "is he gay ? straight ? bi ?" !
    That would be rather inflammatory if the designated gay planet was also about to be destroyed by having its insides nearly mined hollow. Oh wait...

ham-fisted implementation, they're lucky people didn't take it the wrong way.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Same Sex (Lesbian In This Case)
    i think lesbian relationship is 95% of what people mean when they refer to "same gender relationship"

This wasn't some "Segregate ALL the gays!" thing. They didn't want to alter the existing characters as written (companions or existing NPC's you can flirt with), but they wanted to put something in. Seeing as they haven't added in any companions other than Treek recently (no steamy ewok love, apparently), they did the next most convenient thing: They added it into content that they were already working on rather than just ignore it completely.
    What upsets me however is that they placed gender restrictions on the factions.

Same sex female romances are exclusive to the republic, and same sex male romances are exclusive to the empire.

This makes me unhappy.

I fully expect that if they ever do add in more companions of romanceable species (which I hope they do), that the companions will swing both ways. They're just apparently not working on companions (that we know of) right now.
    I'm more concerned about said companion being available to non-subscriber players. I wish we didn't had to pay for new companions, much like we shouldn't had to pay for a new planet.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post

Same sex female romances are exclusive to the republic, and same sex male romances are exclusive to the empire.

This makes me unhappy.
    Indeed, it is definitely a haphazard attempt at same gender romance. Hopefully they can improve it over time on other planets and with new companions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, it is definitely a haphazard attempt at same gender romance. Hopefully they can improve it over time on other planets and with new companions.
    Really? That is by far the oddest thing I've ever heard of.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post

This makes me unhappy.
    I don't believe they did; they just restricted them for the characters on Makeb (Cytharat/Avesta). As an Imperial, you can flirt with other female characters that have come out since Makeb; ones I can think of are the two women who do the Seeker Droid/Macrobinocular missions and you can spend a night with the Czerka representative for CZ-198.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I don't believe they did; they just restricted them for the characters on Makeb (Cytharat/Avesta). As an Imperial, you can flirt with other female characters that have come out since Makeb; ones I can think of are the two women who do the Seeker Droid/Macrobinocular missions and you can spend a night with the Czerka representative for CZ-198.
    You can flirt but that's it. No actual romance. No full fledged romantic story. And the flirting is very light.

Was it too hard to make 1 male and 1 female character romanceable per faction? As an imperial the male same-sex romance is Cytharat yes, but there was also that Imperial Agent woman who is basically your right hand on makeb. Why not make her romanceable?

Ditto for the republic, Avesta is the female same-sex romance, but there was also this other guy (Can't recall his name) that has a big role on the story, he could had been made into a same-sex male romance.

It was just poorly done, and I was expecting way better. My hope is that whenever they add a full planet like makeb (That is: A planet with a large story, unlike Oricon which has a really tiny questline and its mostly just dailies) they can add two new companions that can be romanced. One for each gender.

I can dream U_U

BTW: Little offtopic here but your use of "The Todd" as your avatar is pretty awesome xD

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

If you make a story about characters, it's not really fair to assume that some minimum number must be gay. Given the constraints with the eight class stories on number of characters, this strikes me as perfectly reasonable. Each class gets five companions. It would be unreasonable for each class to fit into one of a few templates: one straight male, one straight female, one gay male, one gay female -OR- one bi male and one bi female -OR- the other two layouts. There's only five characters to work with for each.

The Makeb plotlines do in fact let you meet gay NPCs who are romanceable. These aren't class plotlines of course, but there's something.

If the game was much larger, or if the fundamental structure of the plotlines was altered (if, for instance, the game had forty companion characters each with independent plotlines that could be met, recruited, and in some cases romanced, then this could be made to work).

Totally fine with no gay companions. The game is better for it, just because of their obviously limited resources.

Now, you know what is silly is how ludicrous most of the romance scenarios go down if you are a female character. But that is a rant for a different day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    If you make a story about characters, it's not really fair to assume that some minimum number must be gay. Given the constraints with the eight class stories on number of characters, this strikes me as perfectly reasonable. Each class gets five companions. It would be unreasonable for each class to fit into one of a few templates: one straight male, one straight female, one gay male, one gay female -OR- one bi male and one bi female -OR- the other two layouts. There's only five characters to work with for each.
    I still support the DA2 approach of making potential romance companions "player sexual" that is: they have been and always are interested in whatever sex the player is. Sure, some people will say this makes them all bisexual, but that's only if you look at it from a meta-perspective of multiple playthroughs. In each individual playthrough the NPCs are only interested in the player and whatever sex the player is.

Now, you know what is silly is how ludicrous most of the romance scenarios go down if you are a female character. But that is a rant for a different day.
    I really hate the fact that EVERY romance ends with marriage. SRSLY!? What if I just want some booty? If you say "no" to marriage you basically lose the romance. WTF!? It's so stupidly sappy.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I really hate the fact that EVERY romance ends with marriage. SRSLY!? What if I just want some booty? If you say "no" to marriage you basically lose the romance. WTF!? It's so stupidly sappy.
    This depends on the relationship. If you're hooking up with Doc, you can tell him you're happy with the relationship as it is and (apparently) not marry him. He still sends you the wedding emails afterwards, though.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post

The Makeb plotlines do in fact let you meet gay NPCs who are romanceable. These aren't class plotlines of course, but there's something.

If the game was much larger, or if the fundamental structure of the plotlines was altered (if, for instance, the game had forty companion characters each with independent plotlines that could be met, recruited, and in some cases romanced, then this could be made to work).

Totally fine with no gay companions. The game is better for it, just because of their obviously limited resources.

I understand your point, but fantasy doesn't have to succumb to that much realism in development, especially when the player experience ... the particular character you are playing and their interaction with those companions, are in a bubble. Every warrior gets their jaesa, but lore wise, there is one.

It did bother my wife that they did a meh way of doing it in Makeb, as she wanted a romanced companion, not a world npc. Hell, I wanted my male warrior to be able to have Jaesa as a wife and Vette as their love slave ... when I heard about same sex coming to SWtOR, I rerolled a warrior as a female twi'lek to have vette as a love slave until I was met with disappointment. I want my female sorcerer to be able to have Ashara as a wife.

I think they could still do it; there could be an optional quest set up, to give those who wish it, the option; and those who don't, could completely ignore it. No one now knows your status with your companions, and that wouldn't change. It is purely for an immersion, role play, depth reason; one that gets people connected more with their character and the game; especially in a particular part of society and in gaming where these options rarely exist. How many MMOs let you do it, in a storyline as connected and personalized as SWtOR is for the genre? It is the -perfect- game for such a thing; and I can make this promise, my wife would've NEVER unsubbed to SWtOR and we would both be subbed to this day if they made it happen; she would have us both resub if they did it ... and I'd be happier with us both playing SWtOR than I am with us both playing WoW atm (couple months back and getting bored with it personally ).

I can respect they haven't done it, but I don't think it is wise to not make some minor adjustments ... EVEN IF you had to completely reroll to make the option become available, or some way to reset the companion storyline and redo it from scratch ... so they didn't have to add new quests, etc. just change a few lines/words here and there and open the option up for the other gender. It would take some work, but worth it imo.