Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Bring back cata Spriest!

IS there any chance that cata Spriest will come back in WoD?
    And what do we want back from cata Spriests?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akali View Post
    IS there any chance that cata Spriest will come back in WoD?
    And what do we want back from cata Spriests?
    What? Just to get nerfed again? Personally, no thanks. I would like to be in a better place that where we are now without a doubt but the post-Cataclysm nerfs to the spec weren't difficult to see coming.

Anyway, there's no going back since the game in WoD is going to be quite different than what it is now apparently.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-03-08 at 10:41 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Oh dear god no. I hated Cata spriest...I left my Spriest behind 'cause of that.

Homophobia is so gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tweets have made clear some important points:
    • Passive VE is never coming back
    • SPriest healing/support ability is being nerfed even more
    • MoP Shadow Orb system will not be changing under any circumstances

I don't think the SPriest of TBC/Wrath/Cata is an option in the devs' minds.

Granted "never" never actually means never when it comes to game design, but as far as WoD is concerned right now, all indications are that the devs are happy with what they did in MoP and intend to make it more extreme.

"SPriest healing/support ability is being nerfed even more"

Which means our DPS is gonna get buffed....right?.....please?....right...riiiight because that is gonna happen

10+ Year Old Account
    That is the supposed idea, yes, however I'm not sure I've seen a Tweet from a dev saying that vs. a lot of optimistic SPriests reassuring people of it as if it's a given.

It would mean a world where the 'hybrid tax' hypothetically existed in MoP, instead of SPriests being low for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    It would mean a world where the 'hybrid tax' hypothetically existed in MoP
    Preposterous right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Preposterous right?
    Since devs intentionally speak out of four to six sides of their mouth whenever a direct question about 'hybrid taxes' is asked, it's hard to say how they view anything. That's why I'm cautious about assuming that "Healing removed" = "Damage up!" since historically they refuse to be pinned down about the topic.

Well I really really hope they do something and somehow increase our DPS. "Keeping" or "making" the rotation/prio system interesting/more interesting would be a plus :P

Because the way I see it now we have no lvl87 spell (Or well we almost don't have it) and the 1.5sec cast on lvl90 spells seem to make it that we won't be using those either. It's already taxing to get a perfect halo..having to cast it also might make it a DPS loss. But ahwell I guess we'll get more info soon...i hope...

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow's T90 spells are still instant in WoD.

However, they no longer do healing, only damage.

I'd like to see shadow priest be a competitive dps class rather than a class that is the LOWEST dps out of them all. SOme balance huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Phavik View Post
    I'd like to see shadow priest be a competitive dps class rather than a class that is the LOWEST dps out of them all. SOme balance huh?
    I agree, im tired of getting picked last for the team.

Since they are taking away some of our offhealing capabilities that might actually happen.

Deleted
    If Spriests healing/support would get nerfed we have no survival i mean renew is just a waste of key bind..
    flash of light is ok but takes us out of mana/still not so strong
    then we haev 90 talent which is ok but still doesent hold us up
    then we have cant remember the name but that reduces dmg taken by 90% for 6 or 8 sec i think which is strong.
    and then we have preyer of mending.
    i would say its not our dmg that is the problem its the way we get to output dmg and maybe burst dmg is not as strong but the biggest problem is our survival or mobility.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Tweets have made clear some important points:
    • Passive VE is never coming back
    • SPriest healing/support ability is being nerfed even more
    • MoP Shadow Orb system will not be changing under any circumstances

I don't think the SPriest of TBC/Wrath/Cata is an option in the devs' minds.

Granted "never" never actually means never when it comes to game design, but as far as WoD is concerned right now, all indications are that the devs are happy with what they did in MoP and intend to make it more extreme.
    Just to preface, I want to say that cata priests were the most enjoyable class I've ever played, and I normally can't stomach and other role in raid other than healing.

I honest could not care less for VE one way or another or about off-healing, mc or whatever else we brought outside of damage. For all I care it all can be taken away completely as long as the feel of cata spriest would come back.

Looking back, they only bad thing about spriest back then (outside of enormous max damage potential compared to other classes, which is hard for me to call bad as well) was the randomness of shadow orbs. You could spend half the bloodlust on pull with no orb proc to get your buff up. They've sorted that out with dragonsoul tier bonus (which I honestly think should be a part of priest rotation, or at least a talent choice, since it actually gave us a worthwhile cooldown to use), but they could of just integrated the new orb system to help with that. The only problem is how to generate the orbs, since 3orb mine blasts where really fun to use. It added that awesome burst to our normally very gradual damage and gave you that worm feeling of seeing big numbers, which you don't normally get as a dot class.

But yeah, what I'm saying is that it just felt so awesome and rewarding when you played properly with good uptime on dots, mastery and proper usage of shadowfiend chain. Also you got to go to, a bit nostalgic at this point, good old rotation style for the duration of shadowfiend. And it also requires some preparation, since it would change as you progress and get more haste, allowing you to squeeze in extra spike between mine blasts. It just felt refreshing from now universal priority system. And before that tier bonus, there still was the best way to start a fight, which could drastically affect your damage in the first half a minute, which is usually not so important for other classes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akali View Post
    If Spriests healing/support would get nerfed we have no survival i mean renew is just a waste of key bind..
    flash of light is ok but takes us out of mana/still not so strong
    then we haev 90 talent which is ok but still doesent hold us up
    then we have cant remember the name but that reduces dmg taken by 90% for 6 or 8 sec i think which is strong.
    and then we have preyer of mending.
    i would say its not our dmg that is the problem its the way we get to output dmg and maybe burst dmg is not as strong but the biggest problem is our survival or mobility.
    I'm getting a feeling you're talking about pvp, and I'm pretty sure OP meant pve, since that's what spriests were famous for in cata. PvP wise they were way worse that now, they were really only used in a very specific combos that could peel well. Not just well, spriests pretty much needed a wall of flesh in between them and enemy, but damage was very impressive if they could get their spells off.

I personally think we'll see most classes be more spriest like in pvp for WoD, and by that, I mean few means of CC and defense.

My spriest is an alt, my main is a hunter, which is a whole different game to play in pvp atm, I would however prefere if everyone were brought down to a spriest level of play where you got so many tools at your disposal, that it's not an issue to take the opponents attack out of the equation for more than 50% of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I personally think we'll see most classes be more spriest like in pvp for WoD, and by that, I mean few means of CC and defense.

My spriest is an alt, my main is a hunter, which is a whole different game to play in pvp atm, I would however prefere if everyone were brought down to a spriest level of play where you got so many tools at your disposal, that it's not an issue to take the opponents attack out of the equation for more than 50% of the fight.
    Agreed. Shadow, especially in PvP, should pretty much be the poster child for CC and defense balance. Not an overwhelming amount of CC but instead having a few potent abilities on moderate cooldown that can make or break a skirmish based on your placement.

For PvE, Cata Shadow was pretty broken. It was upper end single target with extremely strong group utility/healing and amazing AoE/single target.

The MoP playstyle for Spriests has been pretty good. It could use a couple minor things like maybe an AoE orb consumer or generator but overall, pretty solid. The damage will hopefully come up a bit with the reduction in healing power.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoulis View Post
    "SPriest healing/support ability is being nerfed even more"

Which means our DPS is gonna get buffed....right?.....please?....right...riiiight because that is gonna happen
    https://twitter.com/WoadenH2P/status/442159913502920705

Can ≠ Will

A dev never lies, but the truth he speaks may not be the truth you think you hear...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Can ≠ Will

A dev never lies, but the truth he speaks may not be the truth you think you hear...
    True. All DPS are already supposed to be 'equal' on paper, so he may be referring to something as innocuous as "Divine Star does 20% more damage now that it doesn't cause any healing".