Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Flak cannons, dismount mechanics, more air units would all be decent additions to the game. And kinda ya know would make sense. LOL WoW is a world filled with aerial units on both factions sides and as neutral mobs. Content is stupidly designed even if players never had flight. Both sides have flying gunships, and droves of flying fodder units. Yet anti air is basically non existent. LOL
    You know I remember reading a blue post (I think) about this, and how they tried it in Blades Edge and the people hated it.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I am remembering those cannons in Blades Edge being pretty much instant kill (with the drop). I think if you got shot out of the air and parachuted down I don't think people would be to enraged.

By the way, here's what I think might happen with flying:

It will return in one of the patches, and they will use it as *the* central point of that patch. In other words, instead of getting flight on Draenor the way we got it in Pandaria, no fluff, no big grandstandings, we will first get the same Draenor just with no flight, and then we will get a patch whose whole feature would be the return of flying after some small "epic" questline - to great fanfare, of course, and with a gold sink of 10k gold or so, just to reinforce everyone in thinking that "hey, this is serious". Blizzard are masters of doing very little and pretending they did a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Now correct me if I am wrong but I am remembering those cannons in Blades Edge being pretty much instant kill (with the drop). I think if you got shot out of the air and parachuted down I don't think people would be to enraged.
    Yeah parachuting is better idea. Tho I like the idea of some being instant kill =P
    Last edited by gamingmuscle; 2014-11-05 at 04:49 PM. Reason: re-wrote it and typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayaga View Post
    For patch 6.0 we were send to Blasted Lands. I approached the zone/Nethergarde keep from the Swamp of Sorrows on a flying mount and was "dismounted" as I approached the zone separation. It can be done gracefully.
    Must have been a bug. I never got dismounted. :O

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo
    You know I remember reading a blue post (I think) about this, and how they tried it in Blades Edge and the people hated it.
    Legion FLAKs were harmless b/c with skill you could avoid the projectiles..... dem Skettis Kaliris though...... just pray to your diety of choice that you're above water when you aggroed them :X

But it wouldn't be a problem nowadays, because now they have the auto parachute mechanic upon dismount.

@ Point 4: Yes please. Actually questing for flight would be so much more fun than the simple "lul gimme your gold" we had in the past.
    I actually had a idea and I posted it early in this thread.

So you get to Shadowmoon Valley/Frost Fire ridge. Very early on you pick up a quest "Taking Flight" or something, and that quest chain upon completion would allow flight in those zones. Then you would get another quest "Taking flight 2" that would take you to Gorgrond again the same thing.

Keep doing this until Spires of Arak a the conclusion of that quest you can fly there, and will get the beginning of the quest to allow you to fly in Nagarand but won't be able to complete it until 6.1 comes out.

This would leave the whole of the continent able to be flown around in while keeping the max level (most relevant) zone no flight, and they could continue that pattern through out the whole of WoD.

Didn't they want to make them faster, more direct and "generally tip top"?
    Guess we can put that into the "broken promises box" as well.
    Yeah it didn't happen.

They did fix the really bad ones, but in general that thread was put up for token reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Yeah it didn't happen.

They did fix the really bad ones, but in general that thread was put up for token reasons.
    Please don't tell me you are surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by Nayaga View Post
    I'm not demanding anything. Like most people I will provide feedback what I enjoy and not enjoy in the game, this is not a demand.

Labeling me as something that I'm not is a failed argument tactic.
    Plus depends how you define "demand." I "demand" flying in the sense that, while I can't force Blizzard to put it into the game. I can decide that unless it's included, I will unsubscribe and they won't get a cent of my money. Which is what I decided to do. I won't pay for the game without flying because it's just plain not fun. Is that demanding or is that voting with my wallet?

I merely wanted to elaborate and correct your wrong view of "a game doesn't need to be designed any differently whether the player is purely on the ground or not". That is simply and factually WRONG, because restricting the player to the ground allows the devs to place incomplete buildings and landscapes to speed up production.

E.g.: A tower with no backside because the player is not supposed to ever go around the tower.
    You LITERALLY cannot do that as soon as you allow him to fly, because he WILL take a peek at your tower from all angles.
    Am I the only one not seeing the issue here? People want flying so they can check and make sure Blizzard took the extra time to fully texture everything? Silvermoon, Ghostlands, and all other non flying areas are aesthetically pleasing enough from the ground and I've never been concerned with figuring out where Blizzard didn't texture because you can't see it anywy. I don't see why more has to go into it just so you can fly there. I bet you also complained about the year long content drought, but still want to everything textured from all the useless angles as to not "speed up production".

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    Am I the only one not seeing the issue here? People want flying so they can check and make sure Blizzard took the extra time to fully texture everything? Silvermoon, Ghostlands, and all other non flying areas are aesthetically pleasing enough from the ground and I've never been concerned with figuring out where Blizzard didn't texture because you can't see it anywy. I don't see why more has to go into it just so you can fly there. I bet you also complained about the year long content drought, but still want to everything textured from all the useless angles as to not "speed up production".
    You are starting to sound like a kid who is arguing Santa Claus is real.

You know, blizzard does sometimes make changes to the game that are made for business purposes, even when they know it will sting the players.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    If memory serves The pages we looked at had a mixture of support for no flight some in the "not sure" camp and some on the pro flight camp. The person who said about deleting threads was superman who I think is banned currently? It appears your memory is not too good

Personally the forums should never be used as a gauge for player reactions as its always a vocal minority who go on them. Thats my view on it. Not saying either of you is right in regards to how the player base is split.
    Actually soreass said there was absolutely no outcry except for here and a few fansites, absolutely none on the official forums. I said he had a reading comprehension problem if he didn't see any outcry at all. he wanted proof. So i went and told him about the first thread i saw on official general forum. First post was why flying should be removed, had 200 downvotes. first response agreed, 60 downvotes. third response disagreed and had 100 upvotes. he then linked the thread i mentioned and herpderped gleefully posted a response that somehow that thread proved he was right, when all it proved was the reading comprehension problems i mentioned earlier. Then rda dug past that first thread i came upon, linked about a dozen similar threads with similar voting, and those were just ignored because they proved his agenda wasn't the case at all. I agree that forums shouldn't be used to gauge player reactions, however in this case soreass is factually and technically incorrect. We do not know if there is a majority or minority, but to say there is no outcry at all, is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still pretty much nothing on EU-side. Sure there have been couple threads about it, but most of them have died away ~ I'd say that this thread is still active since it's mostly just repeating the same arguments over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Actually soreass said there was absolutely no outcry except for here and a few fansites, absolutely none on the official forums. I said he had a reading comprehension problem if he didn't see any outcry at all. he wanted proof. So i went and told him about the first thread i saw on official general forum. First post was why flying should be removed, had 200 downvotes. first response agreed, 60 downvotes. third response disagreed and had 100 upvotes. he then linked the thread i mentioned and herpderped gleefully posted a response that somehow that thread proved he was right, when all it proved was the reading comprehension problems i mentioned earlier. Then rda dug past that first thread i came upon, linked about a dozen similar threads with similar voting, and those were just ignored because they proved his agenda wasn't the case at all. I agree that forums shouldn't be used to gauge player reactions, however in this case soreass is factually and technically incorrect. We do not know if there is a majority or minority, but to say there is no outcry at all, is wrong.
    Very true.

I was part of the initial "outcry" re flying when Afrasiabi's GamePlanet video hit on the morning of Monday, March ... 9th (I think it was). There were numerous threads looking at the issue from multiple angles... and almost all of them calling on Blizz to clarify what was going on and to please, please provide some sort of solid answer about whether flight would even be in the xpac at any time. The threads came so thick that Blizz had trouble locking/deleting them all. After about two days of this they finally allowed a couple to continue to cap -- and began allowing continuations. It wasn't until the entire week went by that they finally began extending the cap limit to try an limit the damage (as is done here with this post) -- keep it focused in one place and not scattered over multiple posts with essentially the same information.

The topic was red hot and tempers were high (on both sides of the aisle). For anyone to claim it wasn't an issue --

1. They never were part of the forums at that time, they didn't read what was going on and have no clue.
    2. They're dumber than a stump and can't comprehend what was in their faces for weeks on end.
    3. They're lying out their ass for no good reason.

If there's another angle... well, I'm not sure I want to know what it is. It was an issue, it still is an issue and it will probably remain an issue (to some degree) even after all the dust settles and Blizz makes their "final" decision/announcement on it some time at or after patch 6.1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Still pretty much nothing on EU-side. Sure there have been couple threads about it, but most of them have died away ~ I'd say that this thread is still active since it's mostly just repeating the same arguments over and over.
    EU forums tend to be much more polite/adult in how they approach a topic. They have less of a problem with people entering into a post with intent to verbally pvp everyone into submission. Overall they're a much better group to talk to. Ideas can get spoken and talked about in a more rational, factual manner. There are fewer insults, fewer demands for "proof" and links, fewer instances of logic twisting, less reducto ad absurdum and fewer ad hominum attacks. If they've actually manage to "get it off their chest" w/o endlessly slapping down bad arguments for the thousandth time, spending multiple pages getting trolls leave, etc., I've little doubt they're "done" talking about it.

Here and at the official site... much different story.
    /sigh
    /shrug

i don't go to the official forums often, but every single time i do(including just now), first page is at least 1 flying thread, where all "no flight" stuff has a bunch of downvotes. idk why it's not the case on EU side.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    i don't go to the official forums often, but every single time i do(including just now), first page is at least 1 flying thread, where all "no flight" stuff has a bunch of downvotes. idk why it's not the case on EU side.
    The majority of EU is PvP. Which could have something to do with it.

Deleted
    Because it is pointless right now, people voiced their opinions and Blizzard ignored them so far since it was only "the forums crowd". Most of them also still think that flying would come with 6.1. All those people ingame for the most part don't even know it, write it on the trade channel and see how many people simply wont believe you.

The majority of EU is PvP. Which could have something to do with it.
    Absolutely not. The EU forums are far more split up, since it's several languages. So any outcry will always be more dispersed and appear smaller. Add to that that most EU players are (rightfully) convinced that Blizzard doesn't care about the EU forums and players at all and feedback on the forum will be ignored/not read anyway. Most EU PvP servers are grossly inbalanced, so there wont be any World PvP in WoD anyway since it will not be CRZ similar to how Pandaria wasn't.

Also the assumption that every PvP player would enjoy no flying mounts is wrong, on a lot of levels. I personally mostly play PvP and I would hate not being able to fly, especially since there's like 2 Alliance players left on my server. So all this does is slow me down and annoy me.
    Last edited by mmoc5e6c40f22c; 2014-11-05 at 11:41 PM.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15098530337#1

Well at least that one just got locked...

see no evil, hear no evil eh?
    Last edited by Drytoast; 2014-11-06 at 02:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    Wow is a 10 year old game. What if we measured all of GW2 brand new users since their launch to brand new WoW players over the same period of time. I bet GW2 would meet or exceed WoW. WoW is a super fun game, but ypu cannot argue their mechanics are not out dated. Actually having to join a party to group is a dated mechanic. Tagged mobs are a super dated mechanic.
    Even if you compare 2004 wow numbers with today gw2 numbers gw2 fails, hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Most EU PvP servers are grossly inbalanced, so there wont be any World PvP in WoD
    The good ol' inbalanced servers = no WPvP fallacy again.

The good ol' inbalanced servers = no WPvP fallacy again.
    It isn't a fallacy because it is true.

Healthy world PVP servers like Darkspear, Bleeding Hollow, and Emerald Dream are little more even in distribution or were for most of the life of the server's span. Wintergrasp changed hands fairly evenly on Emerald Dream for example during WotLK.

EU servers are pretty much dead for world PVP. EU PVP servers are more geared toward the arena and rated battle ground scene..similar to US Tichondrius, Darkspear or Sargeras.