Quote Originally Posted by Evilfish View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if they remove flying then sell it back to us at the microtransactions shop. Would be funny, in a fucked up way. Good method to piss everyone off.

I'm honestly starting to dislike Blizzard's method of handling WoW and I've been a client for nearly 10 years and I've put up with the issues they had over the years because I understood that running a game like this is quite the fucking task. But lately I just can't give them the same amount of empathy I used to give. May be due to the sloppiness may be due to the fact that they are attempting to remove a feature and call that, itself, a feature and what's worse is that we got an army of empty-heads that are cheering to this calling it "a good feature" which is stupid since a feature is being removed. WoW might be the first game that actually has a community that's dumb enough to actually believe removal means addition.
    To your first point, absolutely. I can easily see them coming at us for real money to get flying back.

As to the fanboys, it's funny. You see them here and you see them on the fan sites like WOWInsider and Gamebreaker and on the official WOW forums. No matter what Blizzard proposes to do with WOW, they immediately start rationalizing and decide "hey! this is a great change!" I fully expect that if Blizzard decided to get rid of gear entirely and have our characters just punch each other in face, they'd figure out some way to love it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    They were bitching about the non flying and threatening of cancellations BEFORE the "hint". Also, it doesn't matter if the "hint" is from the director, the cleaning lady or even god, because wait for it..unless it is made official, it is not official. They can literally change their minds about any single thing they have said or hinted about between now and the release date.

Their first official stance is that flying is removed until 6.1, then their second one was it's removed until 6.1 as an experiment to see how the world feels without flying. That's why the whole thing is stupid. People are making knee-jerk decisions over something that might not even happen in the first place (permanent loss of flying). Can't you guys WAIT to see what they do for Beta and how mount travel/flight paths are handled before making a decision? Or is that too much to ask to actually look at the whole picture?
    With the amount of dust that this issue has kicked up, it wouldn't take much for them to come out and address it straight forward. Lord knows they've been pretty silent on most things for this xpac.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    They were bitching about the non flying and threatening of cancellations BEFORE the "hint". Also, it doesn't matter if the "hint" is from the director, the cleaning lady or even god, because wait for it..unless it is made official, it is not official. They can literally change their minds about any single thing they have said or hinted about between now and the release date.

Their first official stance is that flying is removed until 6.1, then their second one was it's removed until 6.1 as an experiment to see how the world feels without flying. That's why the whole thing is stupid. People are making knee-jerk decisions over something that might not even happen in the first place (permanent loss of flying). Can't you guys WAIT to see what they do for Beta and how mount travel/flight paths are handled before making a decision? Or is that too much to ask to actually look at the whole picture?
    No, some of us can't, because we KNOW. They don't give a shit about "beta"?!? I took 3 months break at the start of MoP until they fixed the motherfucking daily quests. They were in the "beta", people have "complained", but no, they just wanted to experiment "a little". And after release there were those incredibly fucked up fanbois say "daily quests? they are not mandatory!" like you would increase the reputation needed for gear and recipes using zen meditation. Not only the stuff was gated behind reputation, but the reputation itself was gated behind reputation...

Of course I must be completely retarded to take part in other UNPLEASENT experiments on my time and money, so of course I've cancelled. I'm not a LAB RAT. See you in 6.1 if they put the damn flying back

10+ Year Old Account
    Raeln, the lack of mods and macros bothered me in TOR because they were missing so many vital parts of the modern interface with their shitty stock UI. The lack of the ability to bind click-to-cast heals for the raid frame, resize debuffs on said frame, and convey information in general(cooldowns, procs, buffs, debuffs, etc.) was the reason why the game needs add-ons and why it'll never be a success when it comes to the competitive PVE player. Raiding in TOR felt like I was playing the original EQ back in 1999 and frankly if I wanted that I would be playing on the project 1999 server. The worst part about the whole situation is that they lied to the hardcore raiders who they were trying to get to play the game in beta. We were promised mods and macros and they never got around to it. Damion Schubert swore up and down that he wanted a vibrant raiding scene and the top guilds playing the game so the tools we required would be there. Those things didn't happen and the game has suffered for it.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Raeln, the lack of mods and macros bothered me in TOR because they were missing so many vital parts of the modern interface with their shitty stock UI. The lack of the ability to bind click-to-cast heals for the raid frame, resize debuffs on said frame, and convey information in general(cooldowns, procs, buffs, debuffs, etc.) was the reason why the game needs add-ons and why it'll never be a success when it comes to the competitive PVE player. Raiding in TOR felt like I was playing the original EQ back in 1999 and frankly if I wanted that I would be playing on the project 1999 server. The worst part about the whole situation is that they lied to the hardcore raiders who they were trying to get to play the game in beta. We were promised mods and macros and they never got around to it. Damion Schubert swore up and down that he wanted a vibrant raiding scene and the top guilds playing the game so the tools we required would be there. Those things didn't happen and the game has suffered for it.
    Your dopey misuse of the term 'entitlement' never ceases to amuse me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    Your dopey misuse of the term 'entitlement' never ceases to amuse me.
    I'm sure you're enjoying that welfare legendary.

Deleted
    That's why flyhack

So much rage over 3 little words, and the game hasnt even hit beta. Im sure the ability to read and listen comes to good use when this change only hits draenor at ship

From an in game perspective, the least interesting parts of the game involve flying. In PvP, when people are just hiding on their flying mounts, it's pretty much the furthest thing from fun, and from a PvE perspective, the big parts are 5 mans and raiding, which have never involved flying (besides ToT4W).

10+ Year Old Account

168 pages of running in circles over a topic Blizz hasn't even confirmed to be true on BattleNet. As for Twitter, and other forms of social media, they can all be used for their "social" aspect. I prefer facts, and I prefer them to come from Blizzard's official site.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/news/ or on BattleNet

I chose not to heal and I rarely will heal in any game that doesn't have built-in support for click-casting (which should be stock in games these days). That said, I raided in TOR and our healers didn't have many problems, at least up until the 2nd raid tier was patched in and it sort of steamrolled all the desire out of the entire raid team. They left for TSW shortly afterward.

I'll agree with you about the UI needing to be customizable but I think a developer is failing when they just toss it out in an obviously unfinished state and expect the addon community to finish it for them. That was what Blizzard did for many years and still continue to do to some extent.

As for competitive PvE, that is such a small portion of the community that it would barely register as a niche, and that's from someone that was playing PVE in a competitive mindset. These days, if I heard a dev make promises to anyone from the supposed "competitive PvE" group - I'm probably just going to pass on the game and look for something else because that game will just end up being a dozen ways of failure. No one can really agree on what endgame PvE should be, let alone try to make some sort of competitive gameplay out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you're enjoying that welfare legendary.
    Are you talking about that cloak with the item name colored in orange that is basically a requirement to have to not look like a mouthbreather on the massively worshipped DPS meters?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post

168 pages of running in circles over a topic Blizz hasn't even confirmed to be true on BattleNet. As for Twitter, and other forms of social media, they can all be used for their "social" aspect. I prefer facts, and I prefer them to come from Blizzard's official site.

Yet, you still came back in and bumped the post count.
    Last edited by Raeln; 2014-03-18 at 06:37 PM.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it is a done deal. Flying is dead. Do you think Blizzard would stir up this shit storm unless they were sure they were removing it?

Let me put it in other terms, you every break up with a girl or a boy (do not know if you are he, she, or whatever). Often people say things like, Maybe we should take a break or maybe we should see other people. It is more comfortable to ease people into it.

Blizzard is easing the community into no flight. No way, given the hell they went through with MOP, would they open themselves up to more unnecessary drama.

Billion dollar companies do not, "wait and see" with their flagship cash cow. Come on now. Flying is dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln
    I chose not to heal and I rarely will heal in any game that doesn't have built-in support for click-casting (which should be stock in games these days). That said, I raided in TOR and our healers didn't have many problems, at least up until the 2nd raid tier was patched in and it sort of steamrolled all the desire out of the entire raid team. They left for TSW shortly afterward.

I'll agree with you about the UI needing to be customizable but I think a developer is failing when they just toss it out in an obviously unfinished state and expect the addon community to finish it for them. That was what Blizzard did for many years and still continue to do to some extent.

As for competitive PvE, that is such a small portion of the community that it would barely register as a niche, and that's from someone that was playing PVE in a competitive mindset. These days, if I heard a dev make promises to anyone from the supposed "competitive PvE" group - I'm probably just going to pass on the game and look for something else because that game will just end up being a dozen ways of failure. No one can really agree on what endgame PvE should be, let alone try to make some sort of competitive gameplay out of it.
    I dealt with my frustration about the lies in that game until the end of the second tier. From extremely buggy mechanics that didn't always work even when they "fixed them" to the moronic monkey puzzles they liked to put in the dungeons to "make them interesting". It's not that healing was complex or difficult in that game as it was FAR more relaxed than WoW healing in terms of incoming damage and resource management. It was simply tedious having to heal like I was playing my old Cleric fighting Kerafyrm again.

Are you talking about that cloak with the item name colored in orange that is basically a requirement to have to not look like a mouthbreather on the massively worshipped DPS meters?
    No doubt it's powerful, but I have taken a sabbatical from raiding this expansion(and most of last expansion because it was shitty) so I have no reason to care about having it. I simply believe that if you can get an orange item from facerolling in LFR it has no meaning. It's not an achievement it's just waiting in line for government cheese.

Now back to the issue at hand.

Barkloud, I don't see them removing flight completely. It's far too late for that and removing it entirely would cause the perfect storm of bitching. What they should do if they decide to lower the speed of flight(my personal hope) would be to add things in the air that you can't get to without flying. While ground mounts and flight paths would be faster travel there'd be places and areas of interest that you wouldn't be able to reach without a flying mount. I think BC was the perfect balance until people started getting the epic flying mounts and abandoned the ground because it became the idiotic choice.

No doubt it's powerful, but I have taken a sabbatical from raiding this expansion(and most of last expansion because it was shitty) so I have no reason to care about having it. I simply believe that if you can get an orange item from facerolling in LFR it has no meaning. It's not an achievement it's just waiting in line for government cheese.
    The cloak wasn't welfare and had you raided this expansion - you'd have an idea of the player time investment required to get the thing. It requires at least 2 months (good RNG) to finish the questline from start to end, even now after they nerfed 3 weeks of Valor grinding off it and greatly increased the drop rates on the quest items.

Also, I didn't say it was an achievement - I said it was almost necessary to have the ignorant thing to just avoid being called a mouthbreather DPS. It's that stupidly powerful.

Welfare insinuates no investment - I assure you that the cloak, even in LFR, requires a lot of time investment to finish. There's a whole lotta RNG in there brah. You'd have known if you had done it.

I have to say, you tossing out welfare labels on things you couldn't even be bothered to do has removed most of the weight any of your arguments can carry with me.
    Last edited by Raeln; 2014-03-18 at 08:03 PM.

In that case, you should ask the Blizzard developers to stop dropping bombs in Twitter. I agree it is pretty annoying to have them make brief, unclear statements about the future of the game in Tweets. They just create confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it is a done deal. Flying is dead. Do you think Blizzard would stir up this shit storm unless they were sure they were removing it?

Let me put it in other terms, you every break up with a girl or a boy (do not know if you are he, she, or whatever). Often people say things like, Maybe we should take a break or maybe we should see other people. It is more comfortable to ease people into it.

Blizzard is easing the community into no flight. No way, given the hell they went through with MOP, would they open themselves up to more unnecessary drama.

Billion dollar companies do not, "wait and see" with their flagship cash cow. Come on now. Flying is dead.
    I totally agree. It's too late to add flight in and suggesting that it might not be available is tantamount to saying that it is out because otherwise why stir this up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    Yet, you still came back in and bumped the post count.
    Was not bumping the post count, not intentionally anyway. It was more about reminding folks they are going in circles and fighting about a feature that has neither been confirmed, nor denied by blizz.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post

If flying were dead, there would be no flying in WoW anymore. All mounts would become ground only. But, since Blizz has not put anything in writing on their OFFICIAL website other than "will return with 6.1", I believe it will return with 6.1. I think they've got one too many loudmouths on Twitter, and the whole goal was to stir up some controversy. This is their way of seeing how many people go Chicken Little with some half truths. But, if you believe everything you read on Twitter, feel free to stop by my page. I will write a small blurb about sleeping with swimsuit models.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    In that case, you should ask the Blizzard developers to stop dropping bombs in Twitter. I agree it is pretty annoying to have them make brief, unclear statements about the future of the game in Tweets. They just create confusion.
    Agreed. I think Twitter and Facebook are simple outlets, not reliable sources. If someone tweeted about the Queen of England doing the Dougie, I would have to question the validity. However, if Buckingham Palace's official website released photos of such, I would believe it.

Was not bumping the post count, not intentionally anyway. It was more about reminding folks they are going in circles and fighting about a feature that has neither been confirmed, nor denied by blizz.

- - - Updated - - -

If flying were dead, there would be no flying in WoW anymore. All mounts would become ground only. But, since Blizz has not put anything in writing on their OFFICIAL website other than "will return with 6.1", I believe it will return with 6.1. I think they've got one too many loudmouths on Twitter, and the whole goal was to stir up some controversy. This is their way of seeing how many people go Chicken Little with some half truths. But, if you believe everything you read on Twitter, feel free to stop by my page. I will write a small blurb about sleeping with swimsuit models.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I think Twitter and Facebook are simple outlets, not reliable sources. If someone tweeted about the Queen of England doing the Dougie, I would have to question the validity. However, if Buckingham Palace's official website released photos of such, I would believe it.
    People are canceling their subscription over it. There is post after post from multiple forums of people sharing that Blizzard Customer Service is slammed dealing with the pre-order refunds. No company would bring this up just to test the waters.

I feel for you Superman, because I think you are going to go Lex Luther when they officially post the bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    People who cancel their subs over their method of traveling between sections of content are stupid, yes. I mean, unless we're talking the removal of all mounts and flight paths and portals entirely, which we aren't, then yea. Flying really isn't "content". It's a method of traveling from one area of content to another. While I enjoy it, it doesn't add very much to the gameplay of World of Warcraft if you look at the big picture. ALL of the major content in the game has no flying anyways (dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, arenas).

Again, I'd rather they keep flight because it's convenient and allows me to get where I'm going faster and more conveniently.
    So... I disagree with you therefore I am stupid? Wow. For the record, removing flying means emphasizing everything I hate about this game: being dismounted; being dazed; being ganked by a ridiculous number of mobs which were too few when the zone was populated but are now stupidly dense when the zone is not; getting on a gryphon so I alt-tab out and am told this is a more "immerse experience; being forced to endless farm mobs in order to get the gear/tokens I need to help my guild progress.

Even if my decision was purely aesthetic--and that is indeed another 50% of the component, I really love flying--leaving the game over this issue isn't "stupid". It's a decision you disagree with. You yourself said you didn't like this decision; therefore, you are now in the category of player who has a beef against this expansion. If another thing irritates you, or two, you might just throw your hands up and WoD and walk over what seems like a minor issue but to you were not. This is what should be concerning players. A wave of us will simply not buy the expansion and/or quit; but it's the second wave that leaves that's going to do the damage. Part of the reason a lot of those people will leave will be this no-flying decision.

The thing is that they did the same thing with pandaria. They dropped a hint of a mask of pandaren for one of the wow festivals, a shitstorm ensued which split the community in half, a year later 2-3 million people disappeared. Even today, pandaren are hardly a beloved race of Warcraft.

But it's the Actiblizzard style. Drop a bomb and piss people for off for no other reason than to fuel their social experiment of seeing how much they can mess with people before half the player base REALLY quits in one expansion, and then let the rage fuel the Internet for a few months.

Once the rage subsides, they implement the feature they announced and people either leave or go: "Wow, after all that argumentation and debate, they still don't give a damn" and silently weep and continue playing, more and more halfheartedly until the next ridiculous feature where they become the people who leave.

And like the weather eroding the mountain, Actiblizzard blows harder and harsher each expansion with wind and rain and bullshit, until the mountain erodes, at one point loses a huge chunk of itself through a massive avalanche and becomes a hill.

A plain hill covered with plain flowers and plain grass, i.e. all the nostalgics and stalwart defenders of the holy word of Actiblizzard. After flying goes LFR, then cross city auction houses, then homogenized buffing then accessible gear for everyone, and then, all the inhabitants of that hill will be happy, because they'll finally get what they've always wanted:

A pre-BC gaming experience on live servers.

Welcome back to hell, fighting then 16th reincarnation of Kael'Thas.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    The cloak wasn't welfare and had you raided this expansion - you'd have an idea of the player time investment required to get the thing.
    You get it for showing up, it's free, no skill required.