Quote Originally Posted by Summoner View Post
    It would be perfect if you slowly descended when on the flying mount, so if you go afk, you find yourself on the ground, hopefully eating dirt because you know, people are out and they want your scalp.

Do you even realize your post is a perfect example of why flying is detrimental to the game design?

Also your excuses are very bad. You don't have to type in autenthicator every time you log out to your character screen, and if you feel like it, you can set the battlenet client to log in to the game from that particular computer without ever needing to type anything.
    You are so bound inside your cube of opinion...

Flying up to "pause" the game is no different than logging out...except it's not logging out.

- it doesn't complete quests
    - it doesn't fish for you, herb gather or mine ore
    - it won't kill enemy players, or npcs
    - it can't help you kill raid bosses

It basically doesn't complete any of the game for you. All it does is pause the damn game so you can go take your piss and not have to make a needless corpse run because something killed a player away from keyboard. Omg let's not remove afk kills!!! Those have always been such an important aspect of wow! One we should forever embrace and cling on too!

To complete any of the game, you've always needed to land.

Because of this simple fact of comparing logging out to flying up, none of your argument works. As none of the content anyone wants to complete has been in the sky.
    Last edited by Drytoast; 2015-02-20 at 09:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshko View Post
    Aviana's Feather says hi. There's no unsafe spot. Well caves i guess.. Instant immunity with a touch of a button otherwise though.
    Aviana is on a cooldown and doesn't grant complete vertical freedom. Also not everyone has it.

When in this highly improbable scenario (let's face it, people rarely if ever go out of their way to help) does the ganker click his "/laugh /use Aviana's Feather" macro? When his health drops under ~50% or immediately when he sees you?
    Really. My experience is different than yours. Helping out with enemy player is basically food on silver plating, there is no need to go out of your way to help. In many cases it isn't even help as much as easy kill and to secure the area to do what you wanted to do without harassment. This happens to me all the time when I am out in the world killing players. They get help from random passers-by, I have to retreat, and so on. It's so common that I am amazed how anybody could see it as a highly improbable scenario.

However you missed my point. I tried to illustrate how far-stretched his post was.

Quote Originally Posted by Drytoast View Post
    All it does is pause the damn game so you can go take your piss and not have to make a needless corpse run because something killed a player away from keyboard.
    Thanks for proving my point. If you want to pause your game, go play singleplayer.
    Last edited by mmoc1c1d6a1668; 2015-02-20 at 09:53 AM.

Aviana is on a cooldown and doesn't grant complete vertical freedom. Also not everyone has it.

Really. My experience is different than yours. Helping out with enemy player is basically food on silver plating, there is no need to go out of your way to help. In many cases it isn't even help as much as easy kill and to secure the area to do what you wanted to do without harassment. This happens to me all the time when I am out in the world killing players. They get help from random passers-by, I have to retreat, and so on. It's so common that I am amazed how anybody think of it as a highly improbable scenario.

However you missed my point. I tried to illustrate how far-stretched his post was.

Thanks for proving my point.
    Your point was great games have afk kills?

Lol...

Thanks for proving my point, actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    There's next to no competition for rares. That's because it only makes sense to kill a rare once (thank Blizzard for this stupid change) and because rares respawn fast.

But disregard this. You are talking about things that are only relevant during leveling. You worry about a max-level on a flying mount "stealing" your rares and your quest mobs while you aren't max-level yet. It's so tiny. It isn't and has never been a problem worth discussing.
    Merely a reply as to why illusion of choice in an mmo is just that. An illusion. If you like current rare spawns, quests or any other outside activity at end-game is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Merely a reply as to why illusion of choice in an mmo is just that. An illusion. If you like current rare spawns, quests or any other outside activity at end-game is another matter.
    Sum total, when someone says "if others fly, I will have to as well", they mean this tiny thing with how a max-level would steal quest mobs from levelers. Okay.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-02-20 at 10:02 AM.

Ok so Aviana's has a cooldown. Please tell me how often can you use your completely cooldownless mount in combat? Oh it's impossible you say? Shocking.

You were talking about, and I quote, "Having instant immunity with the touch of a button". When did complete vertical freedom enter the equation?

Also not everyone has a mount, what's your point? They can get one if they want it.

Really. My experience is different than yours. Helping out with enemy player is basically food on silver plating, there is no need to go out of your way to help. In many cases it isn't even help as much as easy kill and to secure the area to do what you wanted to do without harassment. This happens to me all the time when I am out in the world killing players. They get help from random passers-by, I have to retreat, and so on. It's so common that I am amazed how anybody could see it as a highly improbable scenario.
    I play on a heavily imbalanced PvP server. We (horde) outnumber the alliance to a hilarious degree. Few weeks ago 3 alliance players were "camping" in front of the bridge next to the Highmaul in prime time. And when I say camping I mean killing some of the endless stream of horde passing them by as fast as they could. No one bothered them. Not the massive amounts of horde players running by them, not the people they were killing, not a single one of the 50+ horde milling around the summoning stone bothered to run the ~10 meter long bridge to help. PvP is completely pointless when you know the other side doesn't have a snowflake's chance in hell if you even remotely tried. So yes our personal experiences are vastly different.

I probably did. Just wanted to point out how ridiculous it is to talk about how no flying has any effect on world PvP when Blizzard gave you much MUCH better tools to actively avoid PvP if you so choose. The best of those tools being instant, uninterrupted flight usable in combat.

I play on a heavily imbalanced PvP server. We (horde) outnumber the alliance to a hilarious degree. Few weeks ago 3 alliance players were "camping" in front of the bridge next to the Highmaul in prime time. And when I say camping I mean killing some of the endless stream of horde passing them by as fast as they could. No one bothered them. Not the massive amounts of horde players running by them, not the people they were killing, not a single one of the 50+ horde milling around the summoning stone bothered to run the ~10 meter long bridge to help. PvP is completely pointless when you know the other side doesn't have a snowflake's chance in hell if you even remotely tried. So yes our personal experiences are vastly different.
    I played on many PVP servers and it was exactly like that on all. I get that someone who doesn't PVP much might think that PVP players of the same faction graciously help each other in those wonderful world PVP encounters all the time, the reality is that noone cares (neither should they). Thoughts that go through the mind of a PVP player passing by another player being ganked: you want to waste time "world PVPing", go ahead, I am not interested and I don't care if you are outnumbered - and no, I don't care at all that you are my faction, ROFL. And why? Because that precious world PVP, that is spoken of so highly by those who never did it in material amounts, is stupid, skillless and boring.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-02-20 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Thoughts that go through the mind of a PVP player passing by another player being ganked:.
    "Awesome less competition for wolves! Go get them dude."

By the way...

Just wanted to point out how ridiculous it is to talk about how no flying has any effect on world PvP when Blizzard gave you much MUCH better tools to actively avoid PvP if you so choose. The best of those tools being instant, uninterrupted flight usable in combat.
    ...or this:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=58487/potion-of-deepholm

...or even this:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=90078/cracked-talisman

...or like ten more things.

Folks talking about the niceties of engaging and interesting world PVP and how flying affects it oh-so-much just show how very little they know about world PVP...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drytoast View Post
    Your point was great games have afk kills?
    My point is the ridiculousness of a flying mechanic.

Ok so Aviana's has a cooldown. Please tell me how often can you use your completely cooldownless mount in combat? Oh it's impossible you say? Shocking.
    Really. I was put into cc to watch helplessly that 1,5 sec and even 3 sec casting bar countless times in the past. It doesn't work that well with ground mounts.

You were talking about, and I quote, "Having instant immunity with the touch of a button". When did complete vertical freedom enter the equation?
    Vertical freedom is a very important aspect of flying. It would be gliding at best without it.

Also not everyone has a mount, what's your point? They can get one if they want it.
    Everyone has a mount, because it's cheap. Are we playing the same game?

I think aviana should only be used outside of combat and perhaps even put on a 30 second cooldown after player drops pvp combat. Still just because aviana is imo a bad mechanic, it doesn't mean I should agree with another ridiculous mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    WoW is an MMO, and what you are doing (and game systems available to you) affects me and everyone else.
    I snipped the incendiary comment and hopped to this. What we've been doing, is what Blizz has allowed for 8 years. We're just making it known we want it on Draenor too. If you hate flight that much, you must not own anything between classic and WoD.

Flying will come back into the game. It is a question of when and how.

People raging about world pvp are a tiny minority the opinions of which _should_ be ignored. Blizzard rightly is focusing on how PVE gameplay is affected by flying. They wish to design content and not worry about how flight interacts with it. That is fair enough. Eventually once world content has been out for long enough, say last raid patch. You can expect flying to return. Thats pretty much how I see it playing out. Blizzard will want players to use flight at such a point as a means of catch up as their ground content by then will be out long enough that a majority of players should have done it by then.

Really. I was put into cc to watch helplessly that 1,5 sec and even 3 sec casting bar countless times in the past. It doesn't work that well with ground mounts.
    Yes really. Mounting is impossible in combat. If they mount up they were not in combat at the time.

How much cc you think is needed to allow them to use their instant, uninterruptible get out of jail card? None you say? Again, shocking. It works much better than any mount.

Vertical freedom is a very important aspect of flying. It would be gliding at best without it.
    Vertical freedom has absolutely nothing to do with escaping combat which is the point here. Gliding away while /point and /laughing is perfectly sufficient.

Everyone has a mount, because it's cheap. Are we playing the same game?
    You are not everyone so unless you can show me an official study that shows 100% of all players have flying I'm calling bullshit on that. Which you can't. So bullshit. Yes we are playing the same game (I assume you mean WoW).

I think aviana should only be used outside of combat and perhaps even put on a 30 second cooldown after player drops pvp combat. Still just because aviana is imo a bad mechanic, it doesn't mean I should agree with another ridiculous mechanic.
    You can think whatever you want. Apparently Blizzard thinks differently and the very existance of Aviana's Feather directly contradict the "Flying hurts world PvP and that's why it's removed" idea. Which I really despise in case you haven't noticed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, if you have stables lvl 3, you can neither be stunned nor CCd when riding a ground mount.

Deleted
    How much cc you think is needed to allow them to use their instant, uninterruptible get out of jail card? None you say? Again, shocking. It works much better than any mount.
    Vertical freedom has absolutely nothing to do with escaping combat which is the point here. Gliding away while /point and /laughing is perfectly sufficient.
    Still just because aviana is imo a bad mechanic, it doesn't mean I should agree with another ridiculous mechanic.
    -
    You are not everyone so unless you can show me an official study that shows 100% of all players have flying I'm calling bullshit on that. Which you can't. So bullshit. Yes we are playing the same game (I assume you mean WoW).
    Nice try. There isn't statistic for that, same as there isn't statistic for how many humans have their skin exposed to photons every day, because it's bullshit. Anecdotally, I see every person on their mount. Where possible, they are flying. You perhaps would have a point in burning crusade if you asked how many people had 280% mount, because the cost was much greater back then for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Blizzard rightly is focusing on how PVE gameplay is affected by flying. They wish to design content and not worry about how flight interacts with it. That is fair enough. Eventually once world content has been out for long enough, say last raid patch.
    If that is the case then they shouldn't gave us Garrisons....

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    If that is the case then they shouldn't gave us Garrisons....
    Garrisons are something else entirely. I like them as a feature. I do think they went a bit OTT with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Garrisons are something else entirely. I like them as a feature. I do think they went a bit OTT with it though.
    No with did not. You said Blizzard is focusing how flying affect PvE and that's not true since with garrisons there is no need for PvE because you can do anything you wish from them. Farm mats for professions, do professions, visit bank and AH.... Only time you need to leave it is when you want to get tokens for bonus roll and go to raid ( if someone doesnt summon you ) and even then you can use FP to a FP nearest or close to entrance and then Aviana's Feather and just "fly" inside.

-

Nice try. There isn't statistic for that, same as there isn't statistic for how many humans have their skin exposed to photons every day, because it's bullshit. Anecdotally, I see every person on their mount. Where possible, they are flying. You perhaps would have a point in burning crusade if you asked how many people had 280% mount, because the cost was much greater back then for most people.
    Wow way to go all out with the hyperbole AND completely ignore the topic there.

It's virtually impossible to not be exposed to photons. It's perfectly possible not to have flying. Very tedious but possible (WoD proves that). And you can actually check - just need to search the armory for people that don't have Into The Wild Blue Yonder.

Anyway how does that relate to the Aviana's Feather/Flying hurts World PvP dihtomy?

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    No with did not. You said Blizzard is focusing how flying affect PvE and that's not true since with garrisons there is no need for PvE because you can do anything you wish from them. Farm mats for professions, do professions, visit bank and AH.... Only time you need to leave it is when you want to get tokens for bonus roll and go to raid ( if someone doesnt summon you ) and even then you can use FP to a FP nearest or close to entrance and then Aviana's Feather and just "fly" inside.
    I fail to see your point. It is just you ranting about something else. Garrisons affect the world in a different way. Blizzard focused on how flight affects content. Garrisons are not the issue. Professions got gutted in wow so there is no need to go out anf farm because what ever you farm is fucking worthless. Mining is rubbish/skinnings worthless Herbalisms the same. Garrisons only let you gather the little material you need. They needed to fix professions first. Garrisons are a symptom but not the cause of the issue.

The problems with Garrisons are separate from those that flight can cause with PVE content. The lack of PVE content is a major issue in the open world however and Ive said it multiple times.