Quote Originally Posted by thorvath View Post
    In retrospect this was Bashiok's finest hour. For 7 years the handful of complaints I ever read about flying were related to ganking on PvP servers. But with a single blue post he managed to convince a legion of players that flying had apparently ruined the game. We just never realized it.

I mean at one point it was so popular they actually redesigned the vanilla zones so we could fly there. In fact flying in Azeroth was possibly the most requested addition to the game ever. But apparently we (and the Cata devs) were just naive since, as of 2014 anyway, flight was destroying WoW!

I eagerly await his next magic trick, when he has to convince you that those pesky content patches were what was keeping us from shiny new expansions!

Hmmm... that was extremely well played.

/salute

And considering some other stuff that I posted here recently (page 2071, post 41411 in the lower half of the post), I believe you might be right.
    Last edited by Wingspan; 2015-04-17 at 01:04 AM.

The game wasn't dangerous back in vanilla because of no flying mounts, it was dangerous mainly because mobs you were required to kill for quests hit like freaking trucks. Defias Pillagers wouldn't have been any easier with a flying mount. They came in linked groups so you still would have had to fight multiples at the same time. If those mobs weren't required for a quest most people took a repair bill if they got dazed because they weren't worth the headache to kill. Ultimately though, a difficult mob is a difficult mob and you are still going to have to get off whatever mount you are using to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkspearNeverDie View Post
    Trivialized combat and TONS of quests.

Forever altered World PvP; It went from territorial battles to a trivialized hit-and-run tactic with no consequence because you could just fly away unscathed.

And most importantly (for me), it ruined the grandeur and sense of scale of the zone's geography. My immersion was all but destroyed.

Trvialized combat and tons of quests? The combat system isn't really that elaborate in this game. You have abilities that damage, abilities that heal, some abilities that have damage aoe, some like fists of fury that require a bit more finesse, and most of the abilities require that you have a target you're within sight of and you have a chance to hit them. It's not like in other games like Zelda where when you shoot a bow you have to aim it, or in Guild Wars 2 where a good number of the abilities require you target them with your aoe ability or are able to press a button to dodge a spell on command... OR with a physics engine that registers whether someone is standing in front of you.

And I hate to break it to you but quests are no different than they used to be. You kill things and collect things or talk to specific people. Cataclysm did a good job of breaking these up with some of the more unique quests where you had to command somekind of pet like an RTS game.

But I suppose those are beside the point.

Altered World pvp because people can tag and run away? You're right, I do that a lot on my druid with prowl and shadowmeld and even more so on my Rogue with stealth and vanish. We should probably go ahead and remove both classes from the game. Maybe replace everyone's weapon with a wooden board and lock them in place like Rock'em Sock'em Robots. Honestly, what ruined pvp in general was the implementation of this completely separate gear grind with the constant changes to resilience and everything else. Along with gear inflation. If you want to pvp in this game you don't do it unless you know you have better gear or you have a class you know can handle another person that significantly outgears you.

As far as your sense of immersion and the grandeur of the zones... I can only reference my personal real life experience for this and state that I went hiking a couple weeks ago. And I'd have to say the view from the top of the mountain was significantly better than the view of the trees and the dirt path with the hints of height I saw as I went up. I guess it depends on your choice of scenery, but I prefer to see the whole picture!

- - - Updated - - -

They sure were.

- - - Updated - - -

Resources that could have been better allotted to other content.

Well they should have plenty of resources now after an entire expansion without flying. Judging by the PTR so far I'd say it doesn't seem like they're doing so swell. Time will tell I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    See you all in 3 weeks...

FUCK anti-fliers. Seriously. Bunch of stupid ass, tedium loving, elitist fucking assholes. They should all just fuck off and let the game go back to the way it was without their whiny little bitching about how convenient shit is and how PvP is dead. Fuck them and their PvP.

Poster was warned for other posts.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2015-04-17 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That's your right of course and I'm not being critical of it. It's probable that one well-written note of a couple of paragraphs would have more effect than nearly 400 posts (392 for you at last count) in this thread.
    Well what happened in WoD beta shows that well written stuff does nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post

FUCK anti-fliers. Seriously. Bunch of stupid ass, tedium loving, elitist fucking assholes. They should all just fuck off and let the game go back to the way it was without their whiny little bitching about how convenient shit is and how PvP is dead. Fuck them and their PvP.
    This is exactly how I feel. Thank you for your sacrifice!

People who call others things like this usually do so through lack of understanding.

I agree. Good post. Need more like it.

7+ Year Old Account

And his true colors are shown. Au revoir

If you just look at all the items you can use to travel around Draenor it becomes really apparent to me that Flying isn't necessary. With just a Gnomish Gravity Well and Aviana's Feather, I flew from Highmaul to Zangarra. I can do this same trick from my Garrison to fly right into the BMAH among other places. That thing, coupled with Waygates, Garrison and normal Hearthstone, CM Gold portals (assuming that's a thing this xpac), the outpost hearth etc, it's so easy to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    I agree. Good post. Need more like it.
    I would like to see people with terrible ideas and toxic manners get banned more often too :P

/salute... i generally agree when its for "PVP" reasons when i give F-all about PVP, heck remove all PVP from the game and i'd be happier... sure others wouldn't but if its for the sake of the game design right??
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

You know, I am not one to comment on moderators choice of infractions etc. And while I don;t always agree with Supermans ways of getting his point across. I have found that he has been targeted frequently by other posters numerous times personal attacks etc, and those posters while perhaps may have been behind the scenes scolded, I haven;t seen any action in this thread towards them, even after reporting.

I guess there is only so much negativity directed at ones self you can take, when it feels like nothing is being done about it, before you blow.(though myself I would just put them on ignore, or walk away from the thread for a while till I have calmed down

See you soon Superman!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I guess there is only so much negativity directed at ones self you can take, when it feels like nothing is being done about it, before you blow.(though myself I would just put them on ignore, or walk away from the thread for a while till I have calmed down
    I've noticed through life that reciprocation is a lot like a mirror. Negativity directed at him was more often than not due to his own toxic behavior that he projected outwardly. He was called on his deceit, hypocrisy, and slander and went about changing his name/avatar/signature (I've lost track of how many times) to try to save face. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

OT: I'm gonna make some GIFs showing how you can traverse nearly all of Draenor just using Aviana's Feather.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not derail this thread any further with discussing infracion worthy content or moderation.

When things get reported, the moderators look at it and decide if anything needs to be done, but the 1 provision with that is that we always ask people to report and move on. Don't linger in flamewars or off topic discussions, don't engage people you feel are making bad posts. Report the bad posts, and continue with either posting in a good way or ignoring a thread till it's been handled by moderators. If people respond to bad posts by making WORSE posts then they will obviously get reprimanded as well.

TL;DR: Report posts and move on.

I've noticed through life that reciprocation is a lot like a mirror. Negativity directed at him was more often than not due to his own toxic behavior that he projected outwardly. He was called on his deceit, hypocrisy, and slander and went about changing his name/avatar/signature (I've lost track of how many times) to try to save face. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

OT: I'm gonna make some GIFs showing how you can traverse nearly all of Draenor just using Aviana's Feather.
    Also the saying, don't stoop to their level, 2 wrongs don't make a right etc. we all have the choice to not respond and just walk away, rather than making arses of ourselves too

But way off topic now, I said my bit!

I really hope 6.2's ground content is more interesting than launches was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I really hope 6.2's ground content is more interesting than launches was.
    I took a small tour of Tanaan Jungle tonight, doing a quest to talk to 3 scouts (who are basically only there to direct you to different areas in the Jungle and give some basic information).

Few things to note about what I saw:

1) It seems much bigger then Timeless Isle

2) There's WAY more variety in areas then TI

3) There seem to be more intended different things to DO then on TI

And lastly, the most important bit in a thread concerned with flying:

4) There's like 5 (?) different flight paths in the area, making it a breeze to go from 1 point in the zone to a different one.

And all of that is with a large part of the Jungle unexplored ( I didn't stray from the main paths) and the whole area basically still being in an unfinished state.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I took a small tour of Tanaan Jungle tonight, doing a quest to talk to 3 scouts (who are basically only there to direct you to different areas in the Jungle and give some basic information).

4) There's like 5 (?) different flight paths in the area, making it a breeze to go from 1 point in the zone to a different one.

And all of that is with a large part of the Jungle unexplored ( I didn't stray from the main paths) and the whole area basically still being in an unfinished state.
    Bolded makes me happy, I don't mind being grounded so long as there is stuff to do and variety is always good, especially in larger zones, nothing puts me off more than a zone that is large but very samey.

Have you found anything interesting in the zone so far? puzzles? treasures? etc, or anything new? How is the terrain for traversing on ground mounts? Is it smoother than some of the current disjointed areas in some of the zones?

I'm not a fan of flight paths much anyway, but if they are all close together then I suppose less time on them will be a thing

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    The reason I don't think flying should be added in Draenor is that there is literally nothing to do out in the world.
    It looks like you are suggesting that they:

* keep the amount of world content down, and
    * keep no flying because there's nowhere to fly to.

Sounds like a plan, LOL.

(And it looks like they are following that plan with 6.2 - the PTRs have just started, yes, they'd perhaps add a thing or two, but so far Tanaan has been very underwhelming even if you didn't expect much.)

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen item 3 at all.

No disagreement with items 1, 2, 4, the zone does look pretty and varied. It's just that there's very little to do - and nothing at all which wouldn't be in other zones, it's the same apexis daily, designed the same as others, the same few rares and treasures, the same few battle pets (and that's the end of the list, by the way).

I don't share the optimism from "and all of that is with ... the whole area basically still being in an unfinished state". The "all of that" is tiny and trivial. When they add something interesting, we'll talk. So far, they have nothing.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-04-17 at 06:09 AM.

Deleted

Sounds interesting. I look forward to the new zone.

Still i am a little bit concerned blizzard did not comment on flying in the other zones yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    People who call others things like this usually do so through lack of understanding.
    It must be freeing to have a perspective the size of a keyhole and think that the entire universe revolves around your tiny little pin-prick of perspective.

Then again, complete disregard for anything but the .0001% elite wow players is pretty standard for MMO-C forums, so this attitude is of course expected, and expected to be repeated ad nauseum.

The fact of the matter is zero, nada, zilch, not ONE anti-flyer ever quit the game because of open world flying. There are hundreds, possibly thousands, 10s of thousands of us who have left the game in large part because of this disastrous decision.

He understands all-too-well that your brand of toxicity is severely damaging, as it gives merit to the ruinous decision blizzard has made, meanwhile all you have done in 2000 pages is post ad hominem after ad hominem after ad hominem.

I won't be so brash as to flame you the way walter did. I'm going to continue to sit back and wait for sub numbers when they are announced in may for Q1 2015, and then again in August for Q2 2015, and I will happily continue to point out how disastrous and ill-conceived blizzard has been by redacting flying from their game. In the meantime, I'm happily saving money at the same time hurting blizzard's bottom line by completely ignoring wow outside of the occasional MMO-C pop-in post to remind everyone that wow has now lost 150 bucks on me alone.