10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Azeroth wasn't prepared for flying. They needed to clean up the world.

To have flying combat, they would need to redesign classes, aggro and combat from scratch. That would not only be an incredible amount of work, but completely change gameplay permanently. Splitting the barrens is not equivalent to removing any sort of AoE.
    I imagine it would be somewhat similar to underwater combat like in Vashj'ir. I imagine it would also garner the same types of reactions that zone did.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Pretty much this. There was no flying in Pandaria til 90, yet I saw bots at lvl 87 flying and landing to farm Ghost Iron. There are hacks to get around no flying. I am guessing since bots don't play by the rules, they will be easy to spot in 6.0 as they will be the only ones flying.
    And they have cracked down on it. Hacks are a lot easier to stop than bots.

Speed hacks haven't existed in a long time, teleport hacks haven't existed since early MoP, cast while moving hack was fixed.

They stop them far more often than bots. The issue is collision hacks and flight hacks exist and sandbox tools and can't be easily removed entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edoran View Post
    I imagine it would be somewhat similar to underwater combat like in Vashj'ir. I imagine it would also garner the same types of reactions that zone did.
    Exactly.

Except at 310% speed.

Most people didn't like an underwater zone, it had targeting issues, range issues and players felt disoriented in some cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what's funny? The video this thread is based on was from early March. The quote you keep citing religiously is from November.
    You know what is funny? People who believe things not in print on BattleNet. When they put what is in the video, in print on the official site, I will believe what is in the video. But until some blue text comes through stating otherwise, a video is little more than personal opinion and entertainment. I will put patchnotes above social media any day of the week.

I am ok with phrases like "able to avoid conflict", or "remove yourself from harm via a large distance", or even "avoid the world below you". But, people who use terms like God Mode really need to understand what those terms mean, and not just use them as a substitute for "someone who can fly really high to avoid danger of any kind".
    Or land above roof tops to avoid guards, land on trees so melee have no access to you, or train mobs into someone's aoe and instantly fly away dropping all agro, or capture an outdoor node (hellfire) without worry of death, or getting mine/herb in a middle of enemy camp without worry (if agro, just drop agro by tapping space for 0.5 second, repeat until no agro then proceed to get mine/herb), or fly down to snipe a rare, or... a bunch more

I understand what God Mode means and I am not using it in the literal sense (as I have already explained in my post you quoted). It is the power you gain as a result of a simple act of mounting up is unproportional to anything else in game. The power players gain not only affect travel but affect many other things as well as seen in my examples above. Fly mount wouldn't be such a big of a deal if players can be dismounted by NPC/players at will. But alas, dismount = drop to death and is perceived as annoying (though rather realistic if you think about it).

- - - Updated - - -

To have flying combat, they would need to redesign classes, aggro and combat from scratch. That would not only be an incredible amount of work, but completely change gameplay permanently. Splitting the barrens is not equivalent to removing any sort of AoE.
    What you said is correct and I see this as a good thing haha. I mean.. we are paying monthly on top of buying boxes so.. they can get to work.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

10+ Year Old Account

What a crock of shit Do you make this up as you go, or is it written down somewhere? Aerial combat already exists in multiple forms in the game. The only re-design needed is adding combat abilities to mounts and having that HUD launch while you are mounted. Not an easy undertaking, but not quite the cost of a raid tier. They already have drakes with firebreathing and other abilities (Occulus and Grim Batol), they just need to tweak things and add it to the real world.

You know what is funny? People who believe things not in print on BattleNet. When they put what is in the video, in print on the official site, I will believe what is in the video. But until some blue text comes through stating otherwise, a video is little more than personal opinion and entertainment. I will put patchnotes above social media any day of the week.
    100% agreed, though even stuff written in blue text can change. i mean just look at the interviews we had during PAX that talked about quests and additional objectives....people jumped on the "ONLY main quests will have text, everything else will just be text-less objectives (there are no side quests)" and it had to be redacted and further explanation was needed....blizzard employees say something the way they understand it, but very few people interact with all the departments, as is we know that the art team working on new models are keeping those models quiet, so the rest of the company doesn't even see the progress until they reveal the models to the playerbase as well in the artcraft blogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    They already have drakes with firebreathing and other abilities (Occulus and Grim Batol), they just need to tweak things and add it to the real world.
    I've never met someone who actually enjoyed the Oculus, and the reason most people I know hated it was because of the aerial combat. Not sure that would go over well at all.

I've never met someone who actually enjoyed the Oculus, and the reason most people I know hated it was because of the aerial combat. Not sure that would go over well at all.
    I enjoy the Oculus, so now you've met one! Anyway, to me it wasn't the aerial combat that was the problem, it was the 60th attempt to shove Vehicle combat down our throats that i didn't like.

What a crock of shit Do you make this up as you go, or is it written down somewhere? Aerial combat already exists in multiple forms in the game. The only re-design needed is adding combat abilities to mounts and having that HUD launch while you are mounted. Not an easy undertaking, but not quite the cost of a raid tier. They already have drakes with firebreathing and other abilities (Occulus and Grim Batol), they just need to tweak things and add it to the real world.
    Those mobs are specifically designed for flying. I highly doubt regular (generic) mobs have those kind of capabilities. Blizzard would need to redesign on that front. Also, aerial combat would be pretty bland if it's similar to oculus. I was thinking more like Vashjr/4wind type of combat where players are suspended in the air but are able to access their abilities. This would require a lot of redesign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, they have these encounters in multiple zones and instances. Obviously they wanted them added to the game. I think, if done correctly, aerial combat, and other sky encounters (like the birds in MoP) would add just as much to do in the skies as the ground, essentially making NO PLACE safe. All they need to do is lower the skybox so you cannot fly 1 mile over the enemy city. Reduce it to 100ft above the tallest item in that zone.

People who thinks there will be flying in Draenor are funny. Can't wait til when they realise they have to quit because they are so egocentric they would rather stick to their threats over playing what will be an awesome expansion. Good riddance it will be nonetheless.

I think that you are talking about of two separe things. He is talking about the mecahnics over the devs/designers are creating the game, and you are talking about the environment. Azeroth was prepared for flying, but the environment had some issues in their designs (not in the technology used to be build on). They closed all mesh-holes that Azeroth had, re-build mountains and textures and prepared Azeroth to be seen from the sky...
    And make the hit-box spheric. Maybe they can ignore this type of things, but if they don't re-do all this things they are going to have some problems (bugs like flying and swiming) and for a flying combat PvP...this is more dangerous. Of course the metric used in vash and the metric needed in flying combat can't be the same, and the fights vs IA. are using the same metric of swiming (allow Up and Down and use the same metric of ground-fights).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wow2011 View Post
    Those mobs are specifically designed for flying. I highly doubt regular (generic) mobs have those kind of capabilities. Blizzard would need to redesign on that front. Also, aerial combat would be pretty bland if it's similar to oculus. I was thinking more like Vashjr/4wind type of combat where players are suspended in the air but are able to access their abilities. This would require a lot of redesign.
    Throne was an awesome encounter, but rather than the characters using their combat abilities, each mount would come with its own attacks and/or heals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belisaurio View Post
    And make the hit-box spheric. Maybe they can ignore this type of things, but if they don't re-do all this things they are going to have some problems (bugs like flying and swiming) and for a flying combat PvP...this is more dangerous. Of course the metric used in vash and the metric needed in flying combat can't be the same, and the fights vs IA. are using the same metric of swiming (allow Up and Down and use the same metric of ground-fights).
    Makes sense to add spheric. Also, mounts could have auto targeting and turn to face their target. Your job would be to stay in range. Much like flying an F-14. The computer does the work, you just have to help aim and do the flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sjoa View Post
    People who thinks there will be flying in Draenor are funny. Can't wait til when they realise they have to quit because they are so egocentric they would rather stick to their threats over playing what will be an awesome expansion. Good riddance it will be nonetheless.
    Yep, not only do we get to stop playing a game where they lie to us and take our money for things we can't use in current content, but we also get to leave a game loaded with asshats who have this mentality. I will miss the game, but to the liars and asshats, it will be good riddance indeed.

Throne was an awesome encounter, but rather than the characters using their combat abilities, each mount would come with its own attacks and/or heals.
    This is a lot less ideal as players would find the "best" mount and that mount will be the de facto goto mount for majority. While other people who don't use that mount would loose and ask for buffs. Aka a whole set of balancing and maintenance for Blizzard to handle on top of classes. If players can use their abilities in air then nothing would change as Blizzard is already balancing player abilities. Anyways, going off topic...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    But in the end they should never have released flying back in TBC to begin with and the problem so to speak would not have surfaced.. But instead they have, and have let the genie out of the bottle so to speak and are now possibly trying to stuff said genie it back in with this possible change to no flying at all..

Will be most interesting to see what happens..

Yep, not only do we get to stop playing a game where they lie to us and take our money for things we can't use in current content, but we also get to leave a game loaded with asshats who have this mentality. I will miss the game, but to the liars and asshats, it will be good riddance indeed.
    If you honestly do not see how pathetic it is to actually launch a direct threat (or to even think this is a threat that will affect Blizzards decisionmaking) over something as trivial as some zones with no flying allowed. THERE WILL BE COMPROMISES MADE. Don't be so scared of changes. Blizzard are heading a different direction than in the last two expansion, where i think we all can agree is where it started to go downhill.

This is one of the good decisions made so far

But in the end they should never have released flying back in TBC to begin with and the problem so to speak would not have surfaced.. But instead they have, and have let the genie out of the bottle so to speak and are now possibly trying to stuff said genie it back in with this possible change to no flying at all..
    It was a great feature. The game was growing, giving them a technology to allow flying...was a really good move. Every company want to have a feature like this for a panic-button.

Don't blame Blizzard for allowing flying, blame them for not knowing what to do after their boom.
    Last edited by Belisaurio; 2014-04-17 at 04:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wow2011 View Post
    This is a lot less ideal as players would find the "best" mount and that mount will be the de facto goto mount for majority. While other people who don't use that mount would loose and ask for buffs. Aka a whole set of balancing and maintenance for Blizzard to handle on top of classes. If players can use their abilities in air then nothing would change as Blizzard is already balancing player abilities. Anyways, going off topic...
    Mounts would act just like classes. One mount might only heal with light damage, another might only attack with no heals. If a mount dies, you would have to hope you do not die in the fall, and rezz your mount just like a hunter's pet. Just like pets and classes serve specific functions, mounts would fall into the same category. Some might be great DPS, but be squishy and take damage quickly, others may take massive amounts of damage, but have no ability to heal. This would force mounted combat into a cooperative state, just like raiding where a healer, a tank, and some DPS mounts would make an ideal team on certain encounters.

The possiblities are actually limitless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sjoa View Post
    If you honestly do not see how pathetic it is to actually launch a direct threat (or to even think this is a threat that will affect Blizzards decisionmaking) over something as trivial as some zones with no flying allowed. THERE WILL BE COMPROMISES MADE. Don't be so scared of changes. Blizzard are heading a different direction than in the last two expansion, where i think we all can agree is where it started to go downhill.

This is one of the good decisions made so far
    I play on an RP realm, as a Druid. Tell me again how NOT being able to use my Storm Crow, an ability within my very class, does not affect me. Maybe, instead of assuming the glory days of vanilla are on the rise, you can open your eyes and see that you are about to pay more for an expansion with fewer features. If, in fact, flight does NOT return in 6.1, you will be paying for a game in which you were lied to prior to purchase. But, if you are ok with paying for fewer features in some mid-life crisis attempt to reclaim the glory days, you go right ahead. Personally, I would rather take my money elsewhere. Some place where you get to play what you pay for. I will be sad I can't take my Dread Raven and Iron Skyreaver and burn them on Blizz's lawn in protest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscripts View Post
    If you don't like it, unsub. There is no point in complaining about it they aren't going to cater to QQers on the forums.
    I wrote a very lengthy and cogent criticism of the RMAH a couple years ago when it debuted.

It's gone now.

Mounts would act just like classes. One mount might only heal with light damage, another might only attack with no heals. If a mount dies, you would have to hope you do not die in the fall, and rezz your mount just like a hunter's pet. Just like pets and classes serve specific functions, mounts would fall into the same category. Some might be great DPS, but be squishy and take damage quickly, others may take massive amounts of damage, but have no ability to heal. This would force mounted combat into a cooperative state, just like raiding where a healer, a tank, and some DPS mounts would make an ideal team on certain encounters.

The possiblities are actually limitless.
    This will never ever happen. You know that, right? Please tell me you