Deleted
    Well, then completely remove flying from the game. Delete all flying mounts, add more ground mounts, refund real money for flying mounts. Do it at least right. This is nothing but inconsistent game design and you all know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Vanilla was Savage.
    This. And it had nothing to do with no flying, but all with the fact that content wasn't dumbed down as it is today. THAT is the real problem.
    Last edited by mmoc9b2efb84fe; 2014-12-05 at 11:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triona View Post
    yeah but you just skyrocket straight up. the items actually allow you to glide and see all that was done in the terrain. it's very obvious it was built incase they do allow flying.
    Not sure if they were introduced in TBC or they were out in vanilla wow, but many ppl managed to reach unreachable areas with boots + parachute
    I believe Parachute did exist in vanilla wow (didn't have engineer in that time), and i'm 100% sure the boots existed from wsg flag runs
    So no you had option to reach unfinished areas, internet full of videos of ppl who did that, so the idea that u have 'some' ability to fly around doesn't remove that they mostly did use 2d to cheat time schedule to be done, a rumor that was posted here long ago but i simply ignored it because flying was coming 6.1 to say he was lying
    So far seems he isn't
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    Here's the thing though, most people were okay with it, because Blizzard said it was coming in 6.1. Now that people realize that is not happening you will start to see tons of threads on the official forums about this very issue. Just give it a couple of months, once everyone has hit level cap and has gotten into their WoD routine you will begin to see more and more threads on flying. If you look at the topic posted on the last page you will see that the majority of replies were pretty angry and pro-flying. People are starting to realize they were sold a bill of goods. They expected flight in 6.1, now know that wont happen and probably never will for WoD.

"Most people"

And you know most people from where exactly?

Lets be serious: you most probably don't. As is the case with most of us, plain posters on these forums.

As to how this may influence the state of things: - Some months ago, in these forums, someone posted how "most people", judging from Trade Channel participation, didn't even know flying would be restricted/perhaps removed in Warlords; that is how that other guy's "most people" reacted: with a big question mark above their heads.
    - The "tons" of threads, in the official, or other, forums add to a staggering... some tenths of thousands of players, at best. Check MMO-Champion's numbers of active posters for an example.
    - "Most people" didn't say anything about the price increase of the expansion, or the online store including items that can be used in a game they paid for to begin with and continue paying if they wish to actually play it, or the massive reduction of casual-oriented content from Classic to the expansions (from six main campaigns to two, from 38 zones to 8) - they didn't even say anything about not being able to raid for four years.

I think it's not that hard to see how passive "most people" are. So why don't we leave all those legendary outcries for justice and fair trade where they belong: to the realm of fiction.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2014-12-05 at 11:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    They didn't say it was coming with 6.1
    They did say it will be only at launch, that i can confirm
    Is 6.1 still part of 'launch' ?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Not sure if they were introduced in TBC or they were out in vanilla wow, but many ppl managed to reach unreachable areas with boots + parachute
    I believe Parachute did exist in vanilla wow (didn't have engineer in that time), and i'm 100% sure the boots existed from wsg flag runs
    So no you had option to reach unfinished areas, internet full of videos of ppl who did that, so the idea that u have 'some' ability to fly around doesn't remove that they mostly did use 2d to cheat time schedule to be done, a rumor that was posted here long ago but i simply ignored it because flying was coming 6.1 to say he was lying
    So far seems he isn't
    Noggenfogger elixir. Want your dose of nostalgia?

This one video inspired so much awe and led me to explore every corner of wow that I could get to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    They didn't say it was coming with 6.1
    Pretty close though.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Our plan has been to recapture some of that but make it a bit cooler, and while we don't have specifics just yet, it'll be something more involved than just paying gold; something that further emphasizes how powerful flight is. Unlocking it won't just be level 100 on the day 6.1 comes out with some gold, but something you'll be working toward over the course of the initial expansion release, and 6.1 will introduce the final steps to complete it. It's such a enormous power to be able to fly we really want it to be more of a key moment when you unlock it, and something that feels like an accomplishment more than just shelling out some gold like we've had in the past.
    Read the whole thing here. People are right to think that this was very nearly saying it was going to be. What it really shows is how fucked up communications between developers and Blizzard CM's were at the time. Something they've been paying for since.

I don't think that it's right to criticize people who read this and believed that 6.1 would bring flying. That's a really difficult case to make.

P.S. for those who don't remember: It was more than a year ago when all of this started. Bashiok's post, parts of which are quoted above was notable because it was in some serious disagreement with what developers, principally Afrasiabi, were saying in interviews and twitter. Because it was posted to the forums on their official website many people took this to be something of a resolution at the time. And developers, twitter or otherwise, didn't go out of their way to contradict it, the post was never taken down, and still exists today on Blizzard's website and forums. Take from that what you will. Of course a design can change over time. I'm presuming that Bashiok didn't just pull all of that out of his ass though since he's still an employee there.

So if things changed, given the importance of the discussion among players, it's reasonable to think that someone should have come out, knocked it down, and clarified things. And yes, all along, they continued to promote the expansion with flying mounts related to the expansion, advertising copy that talked about descending on the Iron Horde, and including a flying mount in the CE for Warlords among other things.

The whole business is stupidly unprofessional, reeks strongly of bait-and-switch (intended or otherwise), and I have little sympathy for the the problems it's caused Blizzard. This one is 100% on them and not the players. If you really want to be pissed off about anything related to this it should be the way it's been handled.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-12-06 at 12:00 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    They did say it will be only at launch, that i can confirm
    Is 6.1 still part of 'launch' ?
    They have always stated that flying coming in a patch was a maybe. They never once said "flying is 100% going to be in 6.1!" They said "IF flying were to be implemented, it would be in 6.1 IF!"

But the WoW community will always read that as "zomg you promised us flying in 6.1!1!!1!!!!!1!!6.1!!!!1!1
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alver View Post
    Moushiel: You unsubbed because of no flying? LOL!

Oh btw. you missed the best expansion since BC.
    Don't be thick, I wanted to quit for years, but always caved back in to the addiction, and the false hopes that the game would get better.
    And it's not even the not flying per se but the whole dickish and shady way they went about it since the first PR bullshits on Bashiok from a year ago.
    And yeah, I'm missing out on a failed rehash of BC that has less than 1/10 of the content that BC had. My loss indeed.
    I'll just take my money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    They have always stated that flying coming in a patch was a maybe. They never once said "flying is 100% going to be in 6.1!" They said "IF flying were to be implemented, it would be in 6.1 IF!"

But the WoW community will always read that as "zomg you promised us flying in 6.1!1!!1!!!!!1!!6.1!!!!1!1
    There is no "maybe" in Moanalisa quote.

Unlocking it won't just be level 100 on the day 6.1 comes out with some gold, but something you'll be working toward over the course of the initial expansion release, and 6.1 will introduce the final steps to complete it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be clear about my post I don't have a problem with Blizzard changing their minds over the course of a year. But if and when they do, they should say something equally as clear, certainly better than "We'll see" or "You can run on your flying mount".

I'm not the slightest bit interested in the entire "they promised, no they didn't" debate because it's pointless. If all you take away from that is that they promised something, read it again. They do talk about 'plans'. But again, if someone came away from reading that with the idea that flying would be in 6.1 and then stopped paying attention to the subject, they are not to blame or stupid for thinking that.

If one of their CM's goes to the trouble to make that post and they change their mind they have a responsibility to take the damn thing down and say so.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Noggenfogger elixir. Want your dose of nostalgia?

This one video inspired so much awe and led me to explore every corner of wow that I could get to.
    Best WoW movie ever made. Will be better than the WoW movie even. Wouldn't have been nearly as impressive if vanilla had had flight. Most of those locales would have been like "So what? I've already seen that."
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2014-12-06 at 12:35 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I think the confusion is with pretty close (which means an interpretation) and them saying it (a fact). Only when they say it did they say it. Pretty close means it wasn't said.

Before the expansion was released, my thoughts were that I didn't care if flying was removed. Now that I've been 100 for a while, I have to say that I don't want it to come back. Flying became boring sometime during TBC. Once the novelty wore off it became about as exciting and adventurous as driving to Pittsburgh. What I don't think most people who keep clinging to this realize is that what happened here was not the removal of flight. You can still fly, and I do mean in Draenor. What happened was they made flying fun again. The shredder in Gorgrond, Aviana's Feather, the Skyterror and rocket from the Workshop, goblin gliders for non-engineers and glider stations in Nagrand are all there. And they are super fun to use. They make flying feel like a game, like it's a part of the world and not just a means to skip it. They take skill and luck and decisions. But if we could use flying mounts, they would all be vendor trash. And that would suck.

Still hoping flying NEVER returns. Actually I hope they take it out of zones that have it currently. That's right you heard. Flying is anathema to adventure... And adventure (not efficiency) is the goal of the game... Believe it or not.

Deleted
    ITT - Lack of understanding that Blizzard happens to just be humans, who can change their mind on a very fluid basis, as any other.

Infracted. Post constructively
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-12-06 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Before the expansion was released, my thoughts were that I didn't care if flying was removed. Now that I've been 100 for a while, I have to say that I don't want it to come back. Flying became boring sometime during TBC. Once the novelty wore off it became about as exciting and adventurous as driving to Pittsburgh. What I don't think most people who keep clinging to this realize is that what happened here was not the removal of flight. You can still fly, and I do mean in Draenor. What happened was they made flying fun again. The shredder in Gorgrond, Aviana's Feather, the Skyterror and rocket from the Workshop, goblin gliders for non-engineers and glider stations in Nagrand are all there. And they are super fun to use. They make flying feel like a game, like it's a part of the world and not just a means to skip it. They take skill and luck and decisions. But if we could use flying mounts, they would all be vendor trash. And that would suck.
    You would have a point if those things didn't have significant cooldowns. A couple of minutes, sure, no problem, but ten minutes is too annoying. Plus I didn't even get the stupid feather until I'd already completed the entire freaking continent. I collected every single treasure/rare ine very single zone *except* Nagrand. I tried...I really tried. But having to get up to those stupid gliders every motherfucking time...no. I just imagine if I had actually been using the gliders to hunt for the treasures genuinely instead of with an addon or the map you can buy in-game, and I shudder at how many times I'd have to mount up and run around those gods-damned hills AGAIN.

Even grinding rep at 5 per kill is more enjoyable than that, because the grinding simply feels tedious: Having to run to the ass end of perdition and back repeatedly just to *try* something again was like having the game put up a picture of a raised middle finger right at my screen center, and having it play a blood elf male laugh just to piss me off.

The fact that the lack of flying is not in itself enough to make me not continue subscribing does NOT mean I actually enjoy it. I think you'll find there are a lot of people like me: It pisses us off, but not enough to outweigh the other things the game has to offer. If only we had the OPTION to CHOOSE what we find fun. Gee...options. Options are great.

Deleted
    Flight simulator is still out there for people who have the urge to fly. Or, you know, go to Azeroth and discover every piece of air you can find

Infracted.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-12-06 at 02:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Best WoW movie ever made. Will be better than the WoW movie even. Wouldn't have been nearly as impressive if vanilla had had flight. Most of those locales would have been like "So what? I've already seen that."
    Completely irrelevant. They used hacks, sandboxes and wallwalking to get to places they shouldn't have been able to. The game was built differently then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Completely irrelevant. They used hacks, sandboxes and wallwalking to get to places they shouldn't have been able to. The game was built differently then.
    A lot of the places were just wall jumping which was in no way against the ToS. I went to every single one of the places in that video that was accessible via wall jumping, plus more.

Going to all of those places felt special, and it was fun to take friends and show them the way up. Once flying was implemented in the old world, the air field on top of Ironforge was no longer a special game since you could just fly up there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyMutt View Post
    And there are quite a few driving or racing sims out there for those who prefer the ground.
    Or you know, WoW, since Blizz has decided to stick with no flying.

And again, they said they'd gauge player response for when they would implement flight, so clearly it was more positive than negative for them to not put it in in 6.1.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    A lot of the places were just wall jumping which was in no way against the ToS. I went to every single one of the places in that video that was accessible via wall jumping, plus more.

Going to all of those places felt special, and it was fun to take friends and show them the way up. Once flying was implemented in the old world, the air field on top of Ironforge was no longer a special game since you could just fly up there.
    Some places were improved with Cata, but a lot was ruined for no real benefit. I wish they could have just patched up the world and allowed flying without ruining the whole place. I still remember climbing the mountains near Badlands to end up under stormwind. It was fun, but I still appreciate exploring while flying. Did you ever see the last of the Chimaerok in Feralas? That came after Cataclysm and I doubt 10% of the playerbase even knows of it. I wouldn't have found it if it wasn't for flying. I often got bored of progressing my character and just randomly flew around the map sometimes.

Pince Lakma http://www.wowhead.com/npc=54533