Lol you got 2 "Lolol bad apology stupid" in a row and neither can seem to point out why. I kinda think it fits perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by raviadso View Post
    I actually have a masters but thank you for the ad hominem attack.

Please point out exactly what was wrong with the analogy or else you are just being negative.

- - - Updated - - -

Care to actually contribute instead of just insulting my post?
    PS1, PS2, PS3 etc are different platforms. Each one comes with a new series of games that are capable of being played.

A more apt analogy would be to say that they didn't offer backwards compatibility with a new system. But even that doesn't make sense because you don't need a new system to play an old game.

Buying a license over and over is just a money sink in the game. You don't need to buy a masters license for ground mounts in every expansion. Just flight.

Not really ad-hominem now is it?

Deleted
    This would be a bad move on Blizzard's half. This isn't your general 'whine about no flying post'.

Flying has been a core mechanic since TBC. Yes, flying is a mechanic. It is a travel mechanic. What defines flying as a mechanic is the fact that it altered the way designers approached other expansions in the past. This is the one thing that worries me about WoD. Designing a world with boundaries is much easier than designing a world without them. From a production POV, it's probably also quicker for Blizzard to spew out continents with no flying. Blam, here's your generic terrain - players can't see the deformed hills behind the mountains. That's less dev time.

The question Blizzard must ask themselves is this. Is it worth sacrificing a core mechanic for an earlier release?

An educated guess of mine would be yes. But I would expect to see flying released at a later date. They could release WoD with no flying and then patch in the discrepant landscape later. By doing this you effectively breathe new life into already seen content.

If flying is completely nullified, I would hope there to be a decent distribution of flight paths and not just one place indiscriminately at the front of a gigantic zone.

If they want to do something new with it, my suggestion would be to turn flying into a reward rather than a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpeaz View Post
    PS1, PS2, PS3 etc are different platforms. Each one comes with a new series of games that are capable of being played.

A more apt analogy would be to say that they didn't offer backwards compatibility with a new system. But even that doesn't make sense because you don't need a new system to play an old game.

Buying a license over and over is just a money sink in the game. You don't need to buy a masters license for ground mounts in every expansion. Just flight.

Not really ad-hominem now is it?
    It was still an ad-hominem attack when you essentially called me an idiot by asking if I'd even graduated 8th grade. This post, which finally adds something constructive does nothing to change your previous one.

And for the record, I stand by my playstation analogy. Nothing is being taken from you when you buy WoD, even if you have 900 characters with 310% flight. You can still use them in every single zone you were able to before. You even get a few bonus zones (all for ground, Northrend/Pandaria for flight). Nothing was taken away from you. It's your own sense of entitlement that makes you believe that you are entitled to more than what you were promised when you purchased something. Blizzard has treated you well for so long that you can't even see that flying in every new expansion isn't a human right guaranteed by the ToS.
    Last edited by raviadso; 2014-05-28 at 04:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I, for one, am super fucking stoked on the removal of flying. It has become far too pervasive a feature and it needs to be culled.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I, for one, am super fucking stoked on the removal of flying. It has become far too pervasive a feature and it needs to be culled.
    Indeed. Many fond memories of riding around Felwood or sitting on the bridge of Blackrock Mountain looking at the majesty of the terrain in vanilla. Many good memories of riding around Hellfire Peninsula avoiding boars and demons to get to my prey. I even really enjoyed the experience of Timeless Isle, because I looked around and saw the terrain and biome for the first time since levelling (when I couldn't fly).

Deleted
    Indeed. Many fond memories of riding around Felwood or sitting on the bridge of Blackrock Mountain looking at the majesty of the terrain in vanilla. Many good memories of riding around Hellfire Peninsula avoiding boars and demons to get to my prey. I even really enjoyed the experience of Timeless Isle, because I looked around and saw the terrain and biome for the first time since levelling (when I couldn't fly).
    newsflash: you can do all of those things still. flying is an option, not something you have to do.

It was still an ad-hominem attack when you essentially called me an idiot by asking if I'd even graduated 8th grade. This post, which finally adds something constructive does nothing to change your previous one.

And for the record, I stand by my playstation analogy. Nothing is being taken from you when you buy WoD, even if you have 900 characters with 310% flight. You can still use them in every single zone you were able to before. You even get a few bonus zones (all for ground, Northrend/Pandaria for flight). Nothing was taken away from you. It's your own sense of entitlement that makes you believe that you are entitled to more than what you were promised when you purchased something. Blizzard has treated you well for so long that you can't even see that flying in every new expansion isn't a human right guaranteed by the ToS.
    '....when you essentially...'. Before committing verbicide any more than you have to. Just stop. It was a bad analogy, that's all. Don't get all bent out of shape Francis. New gaming systems and platforms are not remotely close to having flight.

It is a reasonable expectation that if you went to the Diablo store and bought certain armor dyes that you would be able to use them in the game. When RoS came out and they said...'hey...all of those armor dyes you bought' are no longer usable in new content, people would be pissed. Perhaps rightfully so.

To the letter of the law, it may be in the ToS, and this is why Blizzard is fine from a legal standpoint. But as far the definition of the words go, you can be legal and still be unethical. It's a line that every vendor walks.

I can do all that, and I do, with flying. That's not a good argument against flight.

Where is there a rule that you can't sit on a ledge, with a flying mount, and admire the view? Can you point out one person that wants flying during the leveling process?

Anyway, it's all subjective. Grats that you get enjoyment from that stuff. It's a shame that the things I enjoy are being stripped from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

What happend that prevented you from doing the same things? You could still ride around Felwood on your ground mount. Or sit on your ground mount on Blackrock Mountain.

I don't quite understand why others can't play how they want in order for you to play how you want? As the game sits now, both can do what they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    newsflash: you can do all of those things still. flying is an option, not something you have to do.
    Newsflash: the landscape feels empty when you're the only person riding around on it because everyone else is flying at 400% movement speed in the sky without ever touching down. Sure, ride around on the ground with flying still implemented if you want to feel like you're playing a single player game. But at that point you might as well just go play a AAA title.

There is little to no interaction between players outside of capital cities anymore - the game largely plays like a single-player lobby-based game, not one with a dynamic and interactive player population. The only way to force player interaction outside of cities is to ensure that they will invariably contact each other within a contained environment - this is best achieved when they remain on the same plane.

The major point to remember here is that the developers of WoW want to force out-of-city interaction between players. That's why they're removing flying - because they want to saturate the ground plane with players and make the landscape feel more full. It has very little to do with catering to people who enjoy the views from ground mounts or have fond rose-tinted memories of the pre-flight age.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2014-05-28 at 04:55 PM.

Deleted
    Newsflash: the landscape feels empty when you're the only person riding around on it because everyone else is flying at 400% movement speed in the sky without ever touching down. Sure, ride around on the ground with flying still implemented if you want to feel like you're playing a single player game. But at that point you might as well just go play a AAA title.

There is little to no interaction between players outside of capital cities anymore - the game largely plays like a single-player lobby-based game, not one with a dynamic and interactive player population. The only way to force player interaction outside of cities is to ensure that they will invariably contact each other within a contained environment - this is best achieved when they remain on the same plane.

The major point to remember here is that the developers of WoW want to force out-of-city interaction between players. That's why they're removing flying - because they want to saturate the ground plane with players and make the landscape feel more full.
    the person I quoted wasn't talking about interacting with other players. they was talking about enjoying the terrain and getting chased around by boars. they can still do that perfectly with flying in the game.

And there is the real argument and said better than I could.

LFR/LFG/instanced PVP combined with flying has made everything a ghost town other than the main cities. People log in, and either rocket their way to an area, complete the "chore" of a daily quest and then lift off again or are instantly teleported/summoned to an instance.

Then look at Timeless Isle-- people are running/riding around and you run into lots of fun things. Some people are in over their heads and you stop to help. Sometimes you start a rare encounter and other people stop to help.

People complain that there is no community anymore and that everything is a chore, but fail to see how all of these wonderful conveniences that we love so much actually make the game choppier and less social.
    Last edited by raviadso; 2014-05-28 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    If I would have known before MOP launched that it would not add any dungeons I would have passed on the expansion. I think no flying will do the same.
    Me too actually - Both the lack of new dungeons and the dire quality of the ones we got killed MOP for me. No-flying doesn`t help either. I had 10 or 11 level 90`s and several 85`s placed on 3 different servers when I quit and I`ve never heard anyone complain about flying.

It`s always been something you looked forward to when you leveled a new character. No matter if it was your first char or an alt you`d see the guild chat full of comments like, 3 levels to 60/70/90, 2 levels to flight, where is the flightmaster, how much is master flying, can I borrow 5k and that sort of stuff. Flying gives the player freedom to choose the zone he or she prefers. It makes the game less linear and rewards exploration.

It`s not gonna do any good for world PVP on PVE servers as Blizz is gonna make sure you´re not accidently flagged for PVP if you don`t want to engage in PVP.

You`ll still be able to fly on every other continent, so every time you visit your factions capital you`ll be reminded of what you`re missing in Draenor (or how much better it is in Draenor, if you`re against flying). I doubt it will make neutrals happy in the long run, but ofc I could be wrong - we`ll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Newsflash: the landscape feels empty when
    - People are sitting in the cities
    - People are running dungeons back to back cause quest content is boring
    - People are queuing for BGs, arenas, Raids, and more from the Auction House

The only people out in the world are the ones who are casual gamers, who enjoy flying, and do things OTHER than endgame content.

Deleted
    And there is the real argument and said better than I could.

LFR/LFG/instanced PVP combined with flying has made everything a ghost town other than the main cities. People log in, and either rocket their way to an area, complete the "chore" of a daily quest and then lift off again or are instantly teleported/summoned to an instance.

Then look at Timeless Isle-- people are running/riding around and you run into lots of fun things. Some people are in over their heads and you stop to help. Sometimes you start a rare encounter and other people stop to help.

People complain that there is no community anymore and that everything is a chore, but fail to see how all of these wonderful conveniences like flying and insta-porting to instances actually make the game choppier and less social.
    people don't want community. they want convenience. if people wanted community they would all still ride on the ground despite flying being in the game. because you know, flying is optional?

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post

Flying mounts... without flight. Gotta hand it to you Blizz. Best. Idea.Ever.
    Yeah or maybe flying mounts are just THE worst idea EVER. (right after LFR)..

The major point to remember here is that the developers of WoW want to force out-of-city interaction between players. That's why they're removing flying - because they want to saturate the ground plane with players and make the landscape feel more full. It has very little to do with catering to people who enjoy the views from ground mounts or have fond rose-tinted memories of the pre-flight age.
    There is zero indication that Blizzard wants people out in the world. To do that they would need to get rid of LFR and LFD, and they'd need to either increase rewards from open world PvP or decrease rewards for instanced PvP. Flight isn't a cause for the open world being dead, and there is zero evidence to prove that it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Can you provide a source for that? Because the references to extending content were removed from Blizzard. I've never heard a single time from them that they developers want to force out of city interaction? On a PVE realm this has no meaning at all. Nor do I have any inclination to believe that the words rose-tinted memories was uttered in this context.

I'll wait for your source link. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    - People are sitting in the cities
    - People are running dungeons back to back cause quest content is boring
    - People are queuing for BGs, arenas, Raids, and more from the Auction House

The only people out in the world are the ones who are casual gamers, who enjoy flying, and do things OTHER than endgame content.
    It is a false and ignorant statement that the the only people out in the world are casual gamers, and another that casual gamers are the only ones who do things other than endgame content.