10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Then imagine having to do this every single last day over and over and over again for an entire expansion.
    I wouldn't have to, because flight paths exist. You can take a flight path from one hub to the next in WoD, the only change is that in between you will need to be on the ground.

Don't complain about having to go AFK during flight paths. Is flying in your own honestly any better? Mount up, press spacebar until you're at a desired height, point yourself in the direction of your objective, and press the auto-run button. Flight paths or manual, both are AFK fests, the only difference is that after you're done AFKing you might find your character stuck on a tree or a mountain.

Also keep in mind that Draenor is being designed for ground mounts. Therefore you cannot compare it to any past expansions, which were all designed for flying mounts. Are we going to see zones similar in layout to Storm Peaks, Icecrown, or Kun-lai? Most likely not. This is the reason the argument "wait until WoD" is a valid one.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valock View Post
    So what if he flys now? He doesn't say hes not, hes not being a hypocrite, hes welcoming a better solution to travelling.

I myself loved it when ground mount was the only transport (except flight paths), but I still fly now, but I won't go full retard if I lose it, I'd welcome it with open hands. At least the world will feel x10 bigger with only ground mounts. And even better, DANGEROUS.
    Alright. That is it. The misconceptions in this thread end now, starting with you. First off, some people actually like flying. You know, as much as people like mounting on the ground. "How is that?!" you ask, bewildered at the idea of someone actually finding beauty in something as "retarded" as flying. It's because the world is much more beautiful when my camera isn't stuck glued to the same green, brown, grey or blue astro turf blizzard decides to use for ground clutter.

I mean, really. God forbid anyone find the hidden beauty in flying just like the hidden beauty in being on the ground. But okay, so we can agree that flying and ground mounting can look beautiful. The world feeling 10x bigger, do you think because you're 180% slower the world will somehow feel more vast? That's like saying the endless corridors of ff13 made the game feel much more expansive. It didn't. It won't, the perceptional lie that it will increase the size of the world will last about as long as your patience, which can range from completely abhorrent to buddha.

So with the world "somehow" feeling bigger out of the way, we go to your third counter point, the most ridiculous of all might I add. It will not, I repeat -willnot- be more dangerous. Unless Blizzard layers the world with 10 elites about as difficult as most brawlers guild bosses scaled to level 9X, it will still allow me to roll in on any given class (I'd say my main as ret first, but I could do this on any menagerie of stupidly overtuned classes ranging from spurgwarrior to lolrogue) and pull 30 mobs, aoe them down like a hero and continue with my dull questing.

"But Manabomb!" You might yell "How would you take care of flying, this evil devilish thing that has been ruining immersion in this game since blah blah blah and I joined in blah blah blah and I just don't like it?" Well. My first response would be to suck it the hell up, but I decided that I'd take it a step further. Make flying a central part of the narrative, make it a tool rather than a convenience for leveling and most of all make flying feel like a choice rather than the obvious choice. How could we do this? Make quests that revolve around skill-full flight. For example, say you are to assault an enemy base. You could do it from air and avoid flak cannons ala ogrilla dailies, or you could assault it from the ground.

Is it really that hard to realize that flying isn't the problem, but the severe lack of use flying has outside of being a minor convenience? Seriously, aside from flying to an arbitrary raid, there is almost no reason to leave a capital city at this point in the game and there barely was when this expansion started. So, instead of trying to over-glorify flying every expansion by putting it behind more and more increasingly annoying and arbitrary restrictions, why not embrace flying as an actual mode of tactical transportation.

TL;DR: Your misconceptions about what ground mounts will do to the game are idiotic, make flying a central part of questing while also not making it the most obvious choice to take in situations and most of all, stop being so goddamn ignorant.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2014-03-10 at 02:45 AM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Timeless Isle is SMALL, it's small, centralized and can be traversed in it's entirety in below 5 minutes. This is the only reason why it works and even so most people grew bored of it very fast.
    You know, even as small as Timeless Isle is... that feeling when you fail at the rope bridge chest and have to run allllll the way back to the ramp and allll the way back around... UGH. Now imagine getting anywhere is like that at all times.

If you are against flying, I do not understand your point of view whatsoever, nor do I want to understand it. It's illogical. There is literally no upside to losing flying. It makes the game more tedious, it makes travel take almost twice as long (even including flight paths), and it adds literally zero positive effects to the game outside of making ganking easier on PvP realms. I'm pretty sure many find that as a negative as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    The misconceptions in this thread end now, starting with you.
    His opinion is not a "misconception". Stop saying the other of the argument is wrong. In fact, you're wrong for thinking your opinion is "right".

It will not, I repeat -willnot- be more dangerous.
    Again, you state your opinion like it is fact. Blizzard has said that they are going to make the world more dangerous, apparently you missed it. We haven't even seen beta yet, and yet you assume that Blizzard is making no effort to add any Fel Reaver type elites into the game, when in fact they most likely are. Have you seen the Gronn concept art?

Make flying a central part of the narrative, make it a tool rather than a convenience for leveling and most of all make flying feel like a choice rather than the obvious choice. How could we do this? Make quests that revolve around skill-full flight. For example, say you are to assault an enemy base. You could do it from air and avoid flak cannons ala ogrilla dailies, or you could assault it from the ground.
    You are obviously playing the wrong game. In case you didn't know, World of Warcraft is based off of the popular RTS series called Warcraft. The whole point of WoW was to bring Warcraft into a multiplayer universe. WHY would they focus the game more on flying when Warcraft has always been about man to man combat and controlling ground units? Aerial combat has never been the focus. It is evident that with WoD they are trying to bring Warcraft back to its roots, which is a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    You know, even as small as Timeless Isle is... that feeling when you fail at the rope bridge chest and have to run allllll the way back to the ramp and allll the way back around... UGH.
    I disagree. That is the whole point of the rope bridge chest. It makes the feeling of successfully making it to the chest even more rewarding. I love it.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Yeah I seriously doubt they are going to do that. Probably going to stick with no flying til 6.1 again.

If the content is actually tuned around it I don't see a problem, you know they can make flight points that don't go around in freaking circles, portals to major areas you can unlock and stuff like that.

Do you really think they are trying to annoy and piss off the player base? I think they just think they can give a better game experience, the players against it seem to be much more vocal, I haven't spoken to anyone in game or in guild who has a problem with it.

Lets see how it is before we all start losing our minds over it.

Turn out the light as the party is over if they go through with this. I am not wasting my time competing with professional farmers for mats, etc.

What I expect to happen is the xpac will start with no flying (that's definite) and then Blizz will monitor the feedback, sub numbers etc and if there is no major backlash they will keep it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Turn out the light as the party is over if they go through with this. I am not wasting my time competing with professional farmers for mats, etc.
    Without knowing about how anything will work in the xpac you are jumping to a lot of conclusions.. There are lots of reasons why this might not be an issue. The demand for said mats might be far lower. Crafted item may use far lower quantities of mats. We don't know what sort of supply of mats the Garrison will supply. We don't know how spread out or how common nodes will be.

There might not be any need to farm for mats and even if there is no flying might not make it take any longer than it does now.

Also why does not being able to fly mean you suddenly have to compete with professional mat farmers more than you do now ? Those farmers wont be able to fly either... What difference does it make to that ?
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-03-10 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I feel sorry for those with gathering professions to be honest and the crafting professions will be hit somewhat but you can still function somewhat. To me MMORPG's are about progression not going backwards in design...that is why character models are being upgraded for WoD and why the talent system was over hauled in MoP, etc. Just my two cents IMVHO.

The gathering argument is completely ignorant. Each herb you gather will be more valuable. The economy will adjust to it and professions will be balanced around it.

MMORPGs are about ensuring GREAT gameplay. If that means limiting a feature that HURT GAMEPLAY after being introduced, then kudos to Blizzard for being smart enough to see the problem and stick to their guns.

The people who truly enjoy flying are the people who will go back to the old world and still enjoy it, and they'll happily enjoy riding their ground mount in the expansion.

The people complaining about no flying are the people who use WoW as a B.F. Skinner, maximal reward machine. These people don't play the game for normal reasons. They crave maximum efficiency and not for the purpose of fun or progression, but as a way to maximize mental reward per hour.
    Last edited by LookingGlass; 2014-03-10 at 03:40 AM.

If this is true, I probably will unsubscribe after leveling to 100.

I was unhappy about waiting to 6.1, but I would have stuck around. This, not so much.

Deleted
    Imo, they should just restrict flying heavily. They will never take them out completely since there are so many flying mounts already in the game, and people's attachement to them obviously, but restrict flying to specific zones and areas. And add aerial combat. Just make the skies more dangerous.
    Another idea i can think of is to increase the time needed to mount, and make mounts more realistic in general.
    They should be more integrated into the gameplay. As it is now, you just magically summon them and pop them back in your interface for future use.
    The garrisons are the perfect feature to allow this. Your mounts (this would stretch to all mounts, not individual ones) should feel exhausted after a certain time of usage, and then they would become slower until they would deny carrying you anymore. At this point, they would recover when you store them in your Garrison.
    This would make NPC flight paths more prominent (which i think they should be). But i think this is too complex for WoW, so the first idea is probably more what would happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    You know what, idgaf anymore. As long as they NEVER add in another censer that allows same - faction killing I will be just fine. There's a reason I chose Sargeras to play on with a new guild a year ago.

I find it asinine that people want to restrict other people's game play to fit their own play style when they could just choose not to use flying mounts in most situations. I don't mind no flying while leveling the first 1 or 2 times (not the 10th time) but I find not being able to fly after hitting the level for unknown amount of time very annoying. PS flying mounts improved the "immersion" of the game by forcing the developers to finished zone with textured mountains.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    I find it asinine that people want to restrict other people's game play to fit their own play style when they could just choose not to use flying mounts in most situations. I don't mind no flying while leveling the first 1 or 2 times (not the 10th time) but I find not being able to fly after hitting the level for unknown amount of time very annoying. PS flying mounts improved the "immersion" of the game by forcing the developers to finished zone with textured mountains.
    Whether they want to "restrict" other people's game play or not is irrelevant. It's equally asinine to expect people to purposely gimp themselves and their character's progression just to hold to a certain ideal, especially when the developers seemingly agree with said ideal. Putting everyone on an equal playing field makes sense - you just don't happen to agree with their choice - which is completely up to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvanir View Post
    Imo, they should just restrict flying heavily. They will never take them out completely since there are so many flying mounts already in the game, and people's attachement to them obviously, but restrict flying to specific zones and areas. And add aerial combat. Just make the skies more dangerous.
    Another idea i can think of is to increase the time needed to mount, and make mounts more realistic in general.
    They should be more integrated into the gameplay. As it is now, you just magically summon them and pop them back in your interface for future use.
    The garrisons are the perfect feature to allow this. Your mounts (this would stretch to all mounts, not individual ones) should feel exhausted after a certain time of usage, and then they would become slower until they would deny carrying you anymore. At this point, they would recover when you store them in your Garrison.
    This would make NPC flight paths more prominent (which i think they should be). But i think this is too complex for WoW, so the first idea is probably more what would happen.
    I don't think they're making Draenor *that* big where you need your flying mount while questing or farming between flight paths. But if Blizzard decided to go for some sort of middle ground after 6.1, there are a lot of good ideas brought up here that can be used.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Quote Originally Posted by brandonsurge View Post
    If it was a huge part of what "Sells" WoW, than you know damn well blizzard wouldn't change that. Because they are a fucking business. But apparently you can't grasp that fact, because you are just an dude sitting in a computer chair with no knowledge of the inner workings of blizzard, the game, or its finances. If they thought they wouldn't gain money by implementing this change, then they simply wouldn't do it. BUT THEY ARE DOING IT, therefore, more people disagree with you than agree with you. Sorry bud.
    Cataclysm "Dungeons are Hard" would like a word with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    His opinion is not a "misconception". Stop saying the other of the argument is wrong. In fact, you're wrong for thinking your opinion is "right".

It is very much a misconception, as it is very much a wrong argument. Everything about his argument was flawed in every way as is yours.

Again, you state your opinion like it is fact. Blizzard has said that they are going to make the world more dangerous, apparently you missed it. We haven't even seen beta yet, and yet you assume that Blizzard is making no effort to add any Fel Reaver type elites into the game, when in fact they most likely are. Have you seen the Gronn concept art?

I'm sorry that it is my opinion that I, and everyone I know that plays this game, can face roll through every single piece of solo questing content in this game on ground, flying or even rp walking. We haven't seen beta yet, sure, but at the same time if we are to take ANY of the previous expansions questing models as example, MoP being the most obvious as it is most recent, it will infact be just as pitifully dangerous as it is right now.

You are obviously playing the wrong game. In case you didn't know, World of Warcraft is based off of the popular RTS series called Warcraft. The whole point of WoW was to bring Warcraft into a multiplayer universe. WHY would they focus the game more on flying when Warcraft has always been about man to man combat and controlling ground units? Aerial combat has never been the focus. It is evident that with WoD they are trying to bring Warcraft back to its roots, which is a good thing.

I am very well aware that WARCRAFT 1, 2 and 3 were real time strategy games focused on moving ground units, but also very much used air units. Like for example in the recreation of the battle of mount hyjal in world of warcraft, the scourge uses gargoyles and frost wyrms to flank the Horde base WHILE attacking with frontal forces. It's this kind of tact I'm talking about.

Why not focus the game more on flying? Because it's a tacked on feature that is used only as an excuse of convenience rather than a full fledged feature that could actually revolutionize the solo-questing gameplay of this game? I mean, perhaps that's my over zealous opinion talking, but it seems a much better solution than saying "Yeah, your flying is so damn special we are removing it from you for an entire arbitrary level gap AND/OR offering it to you after you pay a nice fee of all the money you made questing, AND/OR offering it to you after an arbitrary raid tier passes."

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. That is the whole point of the rope bridge chest. It makes the feeling of successfully making it to the chest even more rewarding. I love it.

I really love how you enjoy lengthy tasks that involve very minimal reward for lots of effort. Perhaps you're into bit coin mining on a nvidia card? I mean, if that's what you love.
    Replies in bold, the spurglords are among us.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2014-03-10 at 04:34 AM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Near the end of the interview they hint at no flying throughout the entire xpac.
    Wat?

Nowhere does he come close to even hinting at no flying for the whole expac... They're not moronic.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

Deleted
    This thread is still going? Wow.

Funny how blizz devs might read this and lol at you guys. Like they did when they trolled about the dance studio in the garrison panel at blizzcon.

Again, wow..

slow down, breathe, enjoy the game and the surroundings. No point hauling through content to get bored after a week.