Quote Originally Posted by Nayaga View Post
    Anything that slows content consumption is a fence. LOL
    No. What we're getting is a minor inconvenience, let alone the "mother of all gates".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    Did you read what he wrote?

He said Tom Chilton does not understand Wow. Oh ya he also said some how we are going to add another 3.2 million subs in the next two months despite probably losing another 1 million subs during 3rd quarter 2014.

Honestly who is the troll?
    Maybe if you read his post, you would understand he said Tom doesn't understand the addiction. And what you said about us losing 1mil is a guess, not a fact. I stick by my belief on you just being a troll.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel sad for you Walter. I will not respond to another of your messages ever. I wish you well in your healing.
    Once again, you failed to respond to his entire damned post. Tell me again how you're not the troll and he is.

- - - Updated - - -

Slow travel is a gate to all content. It's a way to slow our content consumption.
    No. Locking 496 raid gear behind 1500+ valor (with a cap of 1000 every week) and locking that behind a tedious rep grind that lasts for weeks is gating at its finest.
    Last edited by MinTDH; 2014-09-14 at 05:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogolahst View Post
    No. Locking 496 raid gear behind 1500+ valor (with a cap of 1000 every week) and locking that behind a tedious rep grind that lasts for weeks is gating at its finest.
    Yes it is. As gear gets locked behind flight pathes. You need to ride back to that rare, if you spot it while being on a flight. So there is a additional time brick wall people need to invest to play rare hunting.

Flying was the most immersive way to travel. You could stop anywhere to play content on the way. Flight pathes will lockout people from that content, as they dont want to invest the time to get back to the content they crossed while traveling.

It's the same with dungeon finder. In the old days people played dungeons rarely while leveling. Now it is the most used way, as the dungeon finder allows you to port there.

At the end blizzard added a lot of content in the open world only a few will play, as most people dont want to take the time to travel there.

Convenience is a big part of a MMO as old as WoW. As people are burned out from a game they already know for a decade.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2014-09-14 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Yes it is. As gear gets locked behind flight pathes. You need to ride back to that rare, if you spot it while being on a flight. So there is a additional time brick wall people need to invest to play rare hunting.
    No, spending 2 minutes riding to a rare you flew over isn't gating. What I just described is the definition of gating.

Flying was the most immersive way to travel. You could stop anywhere to play content on the way. Flight pathes will lockout people from that content, as they dont want to invest the time to get back to the content they crossed while traveling.
    Immersion is subjective, as argued by your many pro-flyer friends. And no, they aren't getting locked out from content because the content is right fucking there waiting to be killed at any given time. Also, thanks for the new sig.

Deleted
    No, spending 2 minutes riding to a rare you flew over isn't gating. What I just described is the definition of gating.
    Sure it is gating. You need to open a time gate here. And it is not just 2 minutes. If you needed 5 minutes to travel in MoP, you would now need 10 minutes.

If i would play WoD, i just would queue up for everything thats queueable, and forget about the open world. As traveling just will take way too much time.

Immersion is subjective, as argued by your many pro-flyer friends. And no, they aren't getting locked out from content because the content is right fucking there waiting to be killed at any given time. Also, thanks for the new sig.
    You underestimate the time component. As you ignored the fact the dungeon finder made dungeons popular for leveling. While only a few made them when you had to travel to them.

And hey, you took your sig out of context. But thats the only thing you can do, cant you? That, and ignoring the most interesting arguments to get your ridiculous claims going.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2014-09-14 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I am not happy so others shouldn't be either.

Did I get that right?
    Not at all actually.

You failed all reading comprehension tests from grade school to college. Did I get that right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Gating

Many games prevent players from progressing using gates. A gate might a physical door that they have to unlock, a time window that they have to show up for, a specific condition like a solving one task before unlocking another, or a requirement that a player research one technology before being allowed another.

http://www.whatgamesare.com/gating.html

Gating in level design

‘Gating’ describes a method in game & level design for creating linear paths through what would outwardly appear to be non-linear worlds. The Zelda series is basically a master class in this technique. While providing you with a world you can explore at your leisure, important plot areas and stages of progression are always blocked off until you arrive at them when the game wants you to. Often by acquiring a skill or item that allows you to pass the previously impassable.

Often a game will do this by gently leading you down a path that seems to reach a dead end, a huge boulder blocking your path. (Dodongo’s Cavern in Zelda: Ocarina of Time) At this point the game might give some subtle reference to how you might bypass the obstacle, with varying levels of explicitness. “Oh if only we had some kind of explosive!”.

http://shaunspalding.co.uk/?p=415

Sure it is gating. You need to open a time gate here. And it is not just 2 minutes. If you needed 5 minutes to travel in MoP, you would now need 10 minutes.

If i would play WoD, i just would queue up for everything thats queueable, and forget about the open world. As traveling just will take way too much time.
    Yes, now explain how spending an extra 5 minutes is "gating people from content", besides just "well they don't wanna run all the way to it".

And that's your choice. However, I won't be letting something so small prevent me from playing a game.

As you ignored the fact the dungeon finder made dungeons popular for leveling. While only a few made them when you had to travel to them.
    Citation needed. IIRC Trade and LFG was always filled with dungeon groups back in vanilla/tbc/early wotlk.

And hey, you took your sig out of context. But thats the only thing you can do, cant you? That, and ignoring the most interesting arguments to get your redicilous claims going.
    That's what you were claiming though, so what's the issue here? And nice attack bruh.

It's the same with dungeon finder. In the old days people played dungeons rarely while leveling. Now it is the most used way, as the dungeon finder allows you to port there.

At the end blizzard added a lot of content in the open world only a few will play, as most people dont want to take the time to travel there.

Convenience is a big part of a MMO as old as WoW. As people are burned out from a game they already know for a decade.
    No it isn't. People that are going to get burned out on an old game are going to get burned out on the game regardless. Flying with have zero to do with that. People quit when they're personally sick of the game. We've seen massive losses in subs despite the tremendous amount of conveniences added to wow. And flying isn't the most immersive way to travel. It's the "OMG I MUST GET FROM POINT A TO POINT B IN THE 2 SECONDS! WHERE IS MY TELEPORT BUTTON!". No flying puts more people on the ground making it more immersive and feeling like you're playing with other people out in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything that slows content consumption is a fence. LOL
    Everything in the game slows content consumption. Leveling slows content consumption. Having to buy and make food, pots, gear, flasks, slows content consumption. Even flying. Having to move from point A to point B in a way that isn't instant slows content consumption. That's how time works. And it's no big secret. And especially isn't an argument for flying XD
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2014-09-14 at 05:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Gating

Many games prevent players from progressing using gates. A gate might a physical door that they have to unlock, a time window that they have to show up for, a specific condition like a solving one task before unlocking another, or a requirement that a player research one technology before being allowed another.
    The condition in this context is to travel for a lot of time.

No. What we're getting is a minor inconvenience, let alone the "mother of all gates".

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe if you read his post, you would understand he said Tom doesn't understand the addiction. And what you said about us losing 1mil is a guess, not a fact. I stick by my belief on you just being a troll.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, you failed to respond to his entire damned post. Tell me again how you're not the troll and he is.

- - - Updated - - -

That gate didn't work out too well for a Blizzard did it. It was mostly removed by blizzard. Look at their new and improved gate of no flying. Shoot blizzard has players like you who were frustrated with the old gate cheering on their new gate. Blizz is an extraordinary company. Think about that. You are sold hook Line and sinker on a gate that is going to slow you down.

They take out flight, feed you some PR about a epiphany they had about travel after 7 years and you are all amped. It is amazing.

I did read his post, it is crap. Sayin Tom Chilton is not aware people are addicted to WoW is, well I am speechless as to what it is.

The only thing more absurd than accusing Tom Chilton that he doesn't understand players are addicted to WOW is sayin the game will have 10 million subs when it goes live.

BTW. You are free to run instead of fly now, but we know that is not going to happen.

Deleted
    Yes, now explain how spending an extra 5 minutes is "gating people from content", besides just "well they don't wanna run all the way to it".
    Now explain how having to get exalted with klaxxi is any kind of different as you just need time to get exalted?

Here you just need time to travel a lot.

And that's your choice. However, I won't be letting something so small prevent me from playing a game.
    Or as small as travling to a dungeon?

Citation needed. IIRC Trade and LFG was always filled with dungeon groups back in vanilla/tbc/early wotlk.
    No, people preferred to quest those days. Dungeons were a rare occasion. Nowadays, as there is dungeon finder, people mainly use dungeons to level up.

So there is a gate based on time you needed to travel. And it infact locked out a lot of people from playing dungeons, which finally got fixed by adding the dungeon finder.

Time is one of the strongest brick walls you can add to a game. As like classic raiding showed as the best example, as you just needed time to farm resi gear and keys to dungeons or raids. It was not skill needed which locked people away from raiding in classic, but only pure time effort.

That's what you were claiming though, so what's the issue here? And nice attack bruh.
    It was you who tried to attack with something that was taken out of context. No nice attack at all. Learn to discuss.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2014-09-14 at 06:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    No it isn't. People that are going to get burned out on an old game are going to get burned out on the game regardless. Flying with have zero to do with that. People quit when they're personally sick of the game. We've seen massive losses in subs despite the tremendous amount of conveniences added to wow. And flying isn't the most immersive way to travel. It's the "OMG I MUST GET FROM POINT A TO POINT B IN THE 2 SECONDS! WHERE IS MY TELEPORT BUTTON!". No flying puts more people on the ground making it more immersive and feeling like you're playing with other people out in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything in the game slows content consumption. Leveling slows content consumption. Having to buy and make food, pots, gear, flasks, slows content consumption. Even flying. Having to move from point A to point B in a way that isn't instant slows content consumption. That's how time works. And it's no big secret. And especially isn't an argument for flying XD
    Flying and it's removal is part of the topic slowing content consumption because it does just that. The changes to professions and garrisons slow profession leveling, I don't like that either. Just my opinion I'm sure many like garrisons. Nothing you can say will change the fact that ground travel is much slower than personal flying mounts.

Deleted
    No it isn't. People that are going to get burned out on an old game are going to get burned out on the game regardless.
    My point is that conveniences are able to slow down burning out, as there are a lot less dull tasks to perform.

Flying with have zero to do with that. People quit when they're personally sick of the game. We've seen massive losses in subs despite the tremendous amount of conveniences added to wow.
    There is no proof for a causality here. You are just constructing that.

And flying isn't the most immersive way to travel. It's the "OMG I MUST GET FROM POINT A TO POINT B IN THE 2 SECONDS! WHERE IS MY TELEPORT BUTTON!"
    You are talking about flight pathes here, arent you? As they dont allow you to stop for conent on the path. Flying allows that.

And especially isn't an argument for flying XD
    The best argument for flying is its high level of immersion.

I can only speak for myself, but for me, no flying will mean I have to cut open world experience from my game. I will sit in town or my garrison and queue and that is all. No flying will just burn me out faster, because I will not really be experiencing content outside of instances.

That is okay. I prefer sandbox open world anyways.

Where is the evidence that it is "a lot of time"?

I am sure Blizzard, before they made this change, looked at the stats on how much time people spent traveling (not just idling) on the flying mounts. And I am sure they found that this was a VERY small fraction of playing time.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel sad for you Walter. I will not respond to another of your messages ever. I wish you well in your healing.
    I have no idea what this means. But since you will no longer be responding, I don't have to worry about my posts being misquoted and twisted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Gating

Gating in level design

‘Gating’ describes a method in game & level design for creating linear paths through what would outwardly appear to be non-linear worlds. The Zelda series is basically a master class in this technique. While providing you with a world you can explore at your leisure, important plot areas and stages of progression are always blocked off until you arrive at them when the game wants you to. Often by acquiring a skill or item that allows you to pass the previously impassable.

Often a game will do this by gently leading you down a path that seems to reach a dead end, a huge boulder blocking your path. (Dodongo’s Cavern in Zelda: Ocarina of Time) At this point the game might give some subtle reference to how you might bypass the obstacle, with varying levels of explicitness. “Oh if only we had some kind of explosive!”.

I like this post. Actual, physical definitions, and not just the definitions made up by players who need to back up their theory.

Flight is not a gate. It may be a SLOW DOWN, but it is not a FULL STOP. In 5.1, people were stuck behind dailies trying to get BiS gear. That was a gate. It prevented them from getting what they wanted in one session of play because the amount of Rep Earned, and VP achieved in one day was not enough. It took weeks to get anywhere with gear.

Removing flight, and putting people on ground mounts is not a gate. If your destination is the other side of the map, you can get there in 30 minutes. You just don't get there in 15. When it came to gear, if your destination was a chest piece, you did not get that in one day, you got that in 7 days, because you were limited to the amount of Rep and VP you could earn.

With travel, you are not gated... just slowed by 52%. So where it took people a week to get one piece of gear because it was gated behind rep, a player will now take 20 minutes to travel instead of 10. Inconvenient, maybe. Gate? No so much. People should read the quoted post a few times and understand what a gate really is.

- - - Updated - - -

Which means you get your gear in 7 minutes, not 7 days. Please get to know what actual gating is:

Originally Posted by Anzaman
    Gating

Gating in level design

- - - Updated - - -

Battlemasters in 1.6
    LFD in 3.2
    LFR in 4.3

So 5mans were LFG in Trade til at least 3.2, and LFM for raids in Trade was at least til 4.3. But, even today, there are still regular groups looking in Trade to fill one or two spots.

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not. The condition is defined to keep people from misinterpreting it, like you are now.

Now explain how having to get exalted with klaxxi is any kind of different as you just need time to get exalted?

Here you just need time to travel a lot.
    Here's how:

You cannot -repeat: cannot - level to exalted with the Klaxxi in one day. You have to do the quests, and then dailies. There is currently no way to amass the amount of rep you need to reach exalted in one day.

You CAN, however, spend five minutes traveling to a rare. Any time you want. Or, to put it another way: when you go out to eat, or to a movie, or to the store, do you count the journey being over as soon as you park? Of course not - you have to travel from the car to the store, then from the front door to the item you want, then to the register to pay, then to the car again, and so on. That is not gating. Gating is when you go to the store, restaurant, theater, or wherever, and it is closed and you have to wait until it is open again.

Or as small as travling to a dungeon?

No, people preferred to quest those days. Dungeons were a rare occasion. Nowadays, as there is dungeon finder, people mainly use dungeons to level up.

So there is a gate based on time you needed to travel. And it infact locked out a lot of people from playing dungeons, which finally got fixed by adding the dungeon finder.
    First of all, no, people do not mainly use dungeons to level these days. If they did, you wouldn't ever see anyone out in the world - they'd all be running dungeons. So there's the evidence of your own eyes to deal with.

And as above, there is no gate on the time it takes to travel to a dungeon. Dungeons are just another store.

Time is one of the strongest brick walls you can add to a game. As like classic raiding showed as the best example, as you just needed time to farm resi gear and keys to dungeons or raids. It was not skill needed which locked people away from raiding in classic, but only pure time effort.
    Ummm... I would ask anybody who raided Naxx back in Vanilla whether or not skill was any factor in raiding (protip: it was).
    Feel like you have a target on your back around here?

Knowing this place, you probably do.

Majority of gating = timesinks

Gating because an area is incomplete is slightly different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Where is the evidence that it is "a lot of time"?
    You know.. 280% direct travel versus 100% road travel.. i would believe it will add a "lot of time" to traveling. The evidence is both in the numbers and in the mechanic.

You may ignore that. As usual.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Walter II View Post
    Flight is not a gate. It may be a SLOW DOWN, but it is not a FULL STOP. In 5.1, people were stuck behind dailies trying to get BiS gear. That was a gate.
    It is even worse, as it is a brickwall, built out of time. As there will be no way to get back to the former flight speed. A gate can be completely removed. A brickwall will be existent until the developers remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter II View Post
    Which means you get your gear in 7 minutes, not 7 days. Please get to know what actual gating is.
    And please acknowledge that a permanent brick wall is even worse than gating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prothall View Post
    You cannot -repeat: cannot - level to exalted with the Klaxxi in one day. You have to do the quests, and then dailies. There is currently no way to amass the amount of rep you need to reach exalted in one day.
    Sure you can speed up reputation gain with klaxxi. By quest items. And rare kills. And sure its the same at the end, as both traveling and daily questing can give a maximum of gain due to the fact they have a time effectiveness.

You CAN, however, spend five minutes traveling to a rare. Any time you want. Or, to put it another way: when you go out to eat, or to a movie, or to the store, do you count the journey being over as soon as you park? Of course not - you have to travel from the car to the store, then from the front door to the item you want, then to the register to pay, then to the car again, and so on. That is not gating. Gating is when you go to the store, restaurant, theater, or wherever, and it is closed and you have to wait until it is open again.
    It is even worse than gating. It is a brickwall noone is able to remove. As i said, time is the worst brickwall ever added to World of Warcraft. At the end it only keeps people from playing content, as like dungeons and raids in classic.

First of all, no, people do not mainly use dungeons to level these days. If they did, you wouldn't ever see anyone out in the world - they'd all be running dungeons. So there's the evidence of your own eyes to deal with.
    I never see people questing. I always see fast queues for low level dungeons. I can only talk based on my own experiences. And thats what i experience. You are free to make up other experiences here.

And as above, there is no gate on the time it takes to travel to a dungeon. Dungeons are just another store.
    The brickwall was gone when the dungeon finder was implemented.

Ummm... I would ask anybody who raided Naxx back in Vanilla whether or not skill was any factor in raiding (protip: it was).
    Seems you completely ignore T1, T2 and T2,5 content in your argumentation.

No, raids like Molten Core did not really need much skill. Only time to farm fire resi gear and ingredients for the runes. Same for T2, as you had to farm shadow resi and / or a cloak. And Naxxramas was gated by reputation. You had to kill skeletons over and over to get in. Naxxramas was only difficult, because it asked for full t2.5 itemization. And due to that, a lot of people did not manage to raid T3 content. At the end, it was also just about time, and about linear progression, which built another time brick wall.

Classic was a massive time sink. And not really based on skill.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2014-09-14 at 09:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Majority of gating = timesinks

Gating because an area is incomplete is slightly different.
    The majority of gating may be a timesink; however, not all timesinks are gating. It is important to know the difference. And I agree with the second half of your statement. Future content can't really be listed as "gating", until it becomes current.