Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    This discussion is almost 1000 pages, lol hilarious
    Don't worry, its mostly the same people talking in circles because we're sad and lonely and are waiting for wod to come out. So why not fight about it until it does?

If you're going to quit over flying then you never really liked WoW in the first place.
    WoD MIA for No Flight
    ------------------------------
    MayMay

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    And after watching the video, I don't see how you can call jumping flying?
    Ok, crisis over everyone! You all can still fly using the magic spell called "space bar".
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Drytoast View Post
    true story:

a friend in real life whom used to play WoW but usually cancels after he hits level cap, asked me on the phone if I was going to play wow's next expansion

(he's about as casual as they come)

him "so you gonna get the next expansion?"

me "nope, blizzard removed the ability to fly in the new areas so fuck that"

him "wait, what? that's not mentioned anywhere, where did you hear this?"

me "it's on all the forums, it's blizzard's new 'featured' gameplay"

him "bullshit! (googles "warcraft, and no flight)"

*long pause*

him "well fuck that then...that's fucking stupid"

me "yaaap!"

and thus ended our wow conversation.
    So basically, he heard all about this new expansion but didn't hear a peep about no-flying? Something smells strange here. Also, saw that ending coming from the beginning.

This is like your fifth anecdote in this thread. Strange how everyone you talk to seems to be completely uninterested in even playing WoW without flying which is just a ridiculous notion not many people are going to follow.
    We'll see. Of course if wow subs drops to 5 mil a few months after the expansion than it's clearly because it's an old game...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ogolahst View Post
    So basically, he heard all about this new expansion but didn't hear a peep about no-flying? Something smells strange here. Also, saw that ending coming from the beginning.
    It was almost as predictable as blizzard releasing another fucking expansion based on orcs with green Jesus playing a pivotal role...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Don't worry, its mostly the same people talking in circles because we're sad and lonely and are waiting for wod to come out. So why not fight about it until it does?
    I'll spare Ya the suspense, it's gonna keep going until flight is put back in
    Last edited by Drytoast; 2014-09-22 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drytoast View Post
    Oh my gawd I found you, you complete me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post

This is like your fifth anecdote in this thread. Strange how everyone you talk to seems to be completely uninterested in even playing WoW without flying which is just a ridiculous notion not many people are going to follow.
    I have had close to the same experience. Most of my real life friends talk about coming back for Warlords and I bring up the no flying.

They do not believe me they think I am screwing with them.

The part the original poster said about it not being on their literature, I have heard that one too. It is pretty misleading.

pretty much the only transportation in game that has been used for 7 years is being removed and blizzard does. Or tell anyone about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Ordinator View Post
    I have had close to the same experience. Most of my real life friends talk about coming back for Warlords and I bring up the no flying.

They do not believe me they think I am screwing with them.

The part the original poster said about it not being on their literature, I have heard that one too. It is pretty misleading.

pretty much the only transportation in game that has been used for 7 years is being removed and blizzard does. Or tell anyone about it.
    You're pro flying. Of course everyone around you is up in arms against Blizzard because it makes you're stance on the subject actually seem legit.

I'm actually quite glad that there is no flying, it adds a new element of player interaction to the game that hasn't been around since pre-bc.

Deleted
    This thread kind of reminds me about prophecies for the end of the world. There is every increasing attention leading up to the big event... then nothing happens.

Until the community actually starts playing WoD we won't know if no flying is a good or a bad thing. Only once we have lived with it for a reasonable period can we come to any rationale conclusions. I am sure there will be people that immediately go down the "Its amazing bcoz omg world pvp" or "QQ no fly I subz", but I for one will see how it actually plays about before jumping to conclusions.

Just think of it like this. When you are told you are going to get an injection when you were little, it was all doom and gloom, you were worried and scared. When you actually had the injection you realise it wasn't so bad after all...

10+ Year Old Account
    Anecdotes are awesome, I think I'll share mine.

I've talked to exactly 13 old friends who used to play the game but are currently unsubscribed. Two of them won't subscribe again as they've "left WoW behind for good". I'll remove them from the equation since they have no interest in playing the game again. That leaves us with 11 old players. Out of those 11 players only one was angry about the no flying approach. 4 of them said that they don't really care about flying or no flying and the general consensus was that flight is just a means for transportation that has very little to do with actually partaking in the gameplay that the game offers. 6 of them were positive, ranging from "that sounds pretty fun" to "holy shit, game will be awesome again".

Anecdotes are awesome. Oh, and "true story"...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zezima View Post
    I'm actually quite glad that there is no flying, it adds a new element of player interaction to the game that hasn't been around since pre-bc.
    Who do you want to interact with pal? To the "LFR people" who use to call everyone else "retard"? Time is changed and, unfortunately, so the most of people playing this game.

Give me my flying back now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zezima View Post
    Agreed. The newest element I like is flying during PvP in Ashran.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogolahst View Post
    Nothing strange about that. The vast majority of players don't read fansites like MMO-C, or listen to podcasts, or go to the forums. We're, all of us, the minority.

They know pretty much just what Blizzard puts on the front page. They might catch the occasional news around Blizzcon, when everything is buzzing with news and rumors, but apart from that, they just play the game. Which is of course why Blizzard went out of their way to avoid mentioning it at Blizzcon, it was buried in an interview off to the side.

Those people are the ones that'll decide the issue, not us pro- or anti-flighters. Once they get to level cap, and find out they can't buy a Draenor Flight Licence Part Deux, how will they react? My guess is, some will unsub, some won't care, and the middle grounders after the first week or so simply won't bother with any open-world content if they can avoid it, since it's too much of a hassle.

So as much as I hate it, I think this might be the end of flying for good. The negative consequences won't be mass unsubs, but mass sit-in-your-garrison-or-capital-cities. But those are still paying subscribers, so Blizzard will declare victory, claiming that their statistics show that people are fine with it, and the consequence of empty worlds and unplayed content will not be acknowledged - if ever - until the next expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Why do you want flying back so bad? So you can sit safely above ppl on your mount, while calling everyone else "retard"?. Time is changed and, unfortunately, most people playing this game don't like to change with it.

Flying is out get over it!
    Speaking for myself: I want flying so I can actually play the game I pay for, rather than spend up to three quarters of my playtime waiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you want flying back so bad? So you can sit safely above ppl on your mount, while calling everyone else "retard"?. Time is changed and, unfortunately, most people playing this game don't like to change with it.

Flying is out get over it!
    Flight is back in Ashran, and I plan to use it to my advantage. Faster travel around the island, faster gathering of mats and quest items while in flight form, and being able to fight someone in and out of flight form.

Oh, flight is WAY in, and attached to PvP. Get over it

10+ Year Old Account
    On a semi-serious note, do you think this Ashran flying thing for druids could end up causing the class to be over nerfed before WoD is done? Druids are already annoying as all hell, but give them the ability to fly away and escape any other class in the game on Ashrah? I imagine the tears on the wow forums will be plenty and druid nerfs will be demanded.
    Right now, Ferals and Booms are doing KILLER DPS. Which tells me, WITH Flight Form, they won't be flying from anything... but rather STALKING. Druids are shaping up to be the top heals and DPS of 6.05. I personally don't PvP, but I plan to do some stalking and mocking from high in the sky.

Now I'm not even sure why I'm in this thread as most people quit caring about this topic months ago(me included), but I'm gonna reply one last time just because this quote.
    You mean to tell me you want flying (an activity that is usually spent afk/alt tabbed/etc) so you can "actually play the game you pay for", rather than spend up to three quarters of your playtime actually playing it?

If that isn't the most bass ackwards shit in this thread, then thank Christ I'm leaving.
    Is English not your first language or something? Because that's pretty much the exact opposite of what I said.

I don't know about you, but I'm almost never afk while flying. The only time I do that is when I'm on a flight path, since I'm completely incapable of doing fuck all anyway.

Trudging around on a ground mount is not playing the game. Not the game I want to play anyway. If I'm out in the world at level cap, it's because there's a particular piece of content in it that I want to experience. With flight, I hop over there and play the part of the game that I enjoy playing. Without flying, I am forced to spend three times as long getting there, having content I do not care for (aka trash mobs) shoved down my throat the entire way, for the privilege of playing the content I actually want to play.

Ground travel is not playing the game any more than watching an unskippable five-minute cutscene would be. It's just a waste of time and sours my playing experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Do you really think it is fun running through an area you have been a 100 times before on your way to an objective only to be to be dismounted by mobs that pose no threat challenge or reward?

Do you really think running up to Ordos is fun, cause w/out flight that is what it is going to be for every damn task you want to do in the game.

Where when you have flight you can just fly to your objective and actually play the game.

I think you are mistaking danger for fucking annoying.
    Actually, what he said was very astute, I had not realised at the time. What is danger in WoW if not an annoyance and inconvenience? Death is not permanent, there is no long-term loss apart from a few gold. Your character's future is not at risk, there is no chance of any effect upon your person, so where exactly is the danger from? The danger is, that you have to wait 20 seconds at a graveyard to respawn, whereas against a mob that offers 'no danger' you have to spend a meagre 5 seconds killing it. This danger you talk about is only a matter of perception, and only arises from the chance that you may have to spend time waiting at a graveyard.

What is that if not just a pure annoyance?

Quote Originally Posted by Laumann View Post
    Actually, what he said was very astute, I had not realised at the time. What is danger in WoW if not an annoyance and inconvenience? Death is not permanent, there is no long-term loss apart from a few gold. Your character's future is not at risk, there is no chance of any effect upon your person, so where exactly is the danger from? The danger is, that you have to wait 20 seconds at a graveyard to respawn, whereas against a mob that offers 'no danger' you have to spend a meagre 5 seconds killing it. This danger you talk about is only a matter of perception, and only arises from the chance that you may have to spend time waiting at a graveyard.

What is that if not just a pure annoyance?
    Even if people could instantly self-res, they'd still hate dying. Because dying means you lost.