Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Non-racial is like asexuality, an asexual does not identify as any of the predescribed sexualities, a non-racial person does not identify as any of the predescribed races, its not that complicated.
    As an asexual person: your comparison is bad and you should feel bad. Sexuality is not a choice, it's just something you are. Whereas choosing not to define yourself as any particular race is a choice. As many people have pointed out, race is a social construct. Sexual orientation is not.

I'm not saying you can't call yourself non-racial, just that the comparison you're using is inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Your explanation of its inappropriateness isn't even correct. It has nothing to do with whether it's a choice or not. Asexuality completes the spectrum and is a part of the spectrum, not a refusal to be on the spectrum. That is why the comparison is poor.
    Says you. I feel that comparing something that is a choice with something that is not is inappropriate. Or worse, it could be interpreted as saying asexuality is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You can feel whatever you want as much as you want. It doesn't change why the analogy is bad.
    We both have opinions on which is the more glaring error. That's what they are: opinions. Yours is no more fact than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    We both have opinions on which is the more glaring error. That's what they are: opinions. Yours is no more fact than mine.
    Actually....
    I'm sorry to say, but Nixx's remark was not an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Actually....
    I'm sorry to say, but Nixx's remark was not an opinion.
    This statement is fact:

Asexuality completes the spectrum and is a part of the spectrum, not a refusal to be on the spectrum.
    This is opinion:

Your explanation of its inappropriateness isn't even correct..... That is why the comparison is poor.
    Likewise, my statement that being non-racial is a choice whereas being asexual is not = fact. My assertion that this is the more glaring error with the comparison is an opinion. Are we on the same page now?

This is opinion:
    No, it wasn't opinion. It was logical deduction from the presented reasoning (as presented by you).
    Likewise, my statement that being non-racial is a choice whereas being asexual is not = fact. My assertion that this is the more glaring error with the comparison is an opinion. Are we on the same page now?
    No, because being non-racial is not a choice (since there are no options). Therefore it is not a fact.

Don't take it so hard.

Looks like I just stumbled into a logic-free zone

I'll just leave you to it.

Looks like I just stumbled into a logic-free zone

I'll just leave you to it.
    Au contraire; logic is the only valid option for the insane. So we get a bit hissy about it. :P

I would have no problem if someone identified as non-racial. At least if they were being honest about it. If they say they're non-racial, but then talk about how they think people of other races are inferior, then they're clearly being dishonest.

I know how people self-identify may not always line up with how other people identify them. I even read about someone whose parents were white and asian, but everyone thought the person was hispanic. Like people would start speaking Spanish to them. So they started taking Spanish classes and learning about hispanic culture, and found it interesting and somewhat identifies as hispanic now.

There was an article in National Geographic last year about how multi-racial people self-identified, which would even be different based on whether or not they were filling a form (being asked to pigeonhole themselves) or just in their everyday life.

Also, a related radio interview about perception of race and racial self-identification changes over time.

On a side note, race and sexuality are not exact parrallels. "Race" is something that is largely a construct in our minds. Yes, there's shared phenotypes, but in a multi-racial society, the boundaries between those can be hazy. A person might choose to identify one way or another. For sexuality, there's typically not that choice.

So my metaphor wasn't the best... either way a person can be non-racial.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollskalden View Post
    Race is not a preference like sexuality, it's appearance so "choosing" to be non-racial assumes that different races have different attributes besides skin color.
    Yes, because I certainly chose to be heterosexual.

Sounds like Tumblresque Special Snowflake Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sounds like Tumblresque Special Snowflake Syndrome.
    Not in the slightest, I would never be associated with Tumblr.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Race is a social construct, like everything else. It's just a part of the person's imagination. Racist society dictated that we should view each color as separate and distinct, when in reality they're all a part of one color continuum. You can be whatever you want to be and if someone has a problem with it, it's all on them, not you.

Why do you americans try to force your ridiculous race claims on the world? What is a hispanic race?

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    Why do you americans try to force your ridiculous race claims on the world? What is a hispanic race?
    Good question. Wondered about that often enough myself. I think it's when spaniards try to be faster than one another. :P