Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by simsumre View Post
    You didn't read that right, I don't and can't get European citizenship. No American can unless they're either incredibly wealthy or have 10 years of education. All this while Arabs walk right in. But there's nothing wrong with that.
    Depending on the country, that's incorrect.

For example, my country, Greece, will grant citizenship to anyone born of a Greek citizen, extending as far back as Greek grandparents. I'm sure other countries in the EU have similar rules. Being ethnically Greek makes you a Greek national, which opens the door to Greek citizenship.

To make it easier why don't you say what countries your European relatives were from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    You keep ignoring the facts presented to you, should the US ever become a war-torn country you'd no doubt be seeing droves of refugees coming from the US to Europe.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you are being prosecuted, seriously this is a victim-complex if you actually believe this.
    Dude I'm replying to as many people that respond to me here. I'm not hiding behind my posts and I'm certainly not ignoring "facts" that I disagree with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, Simsumre could kind of have a point in that America is as far from accommodating in terms of infrastructure as other nations could be; with repeatedly worsening schools (and we're pretty far down on the list to begin with,) and failing road, rail and Interstate network; a severely overburdened medical sector and in some places general public assistance services are completely absent. Shoot, Japan needs to open Immigration considering their declining population gains.

Granted, the border should be tightened up and the process to legally immigrate streamlined. How about we transfer some Active Duty Military to Nat Guard and have them reinforce BP, we have a handful of officers fighting against the Mob 2.0 as it stands now- never mind that just like with the rise of the liquor crime organizations this one is also a product of prohibition . We really need to refocus some of our resources and attention back home instead of sticking our fingers in every countries pie.

You didn't read that right, I don't and can't get European citizenship. No American can unless they're either incredibly wealthy or have 10 years of education. All this while Arabs walk right in. But there's nothing wrong with that.
    You're actually just proving your ignorance, they do not "walk straight in".

No, you're not being politically persecuted and made to dissapear because you've expressed opinion, like what happens in other countries. No, you do not get to have a say in european politics for a 3rd generation European. You're American, you're an immigrant. You're not different to any other immigrant around.
    You'd have hardly any issues travelling to EU and settling down, but you seem to believe this.
    You don't KNOW anything about EU immigration politics( Soon you will, as I bet your fingers shall swiftly type out a bit of help on google).
    You're simply ignorant and you are talking about things a bit bigger than what you can comprehend.

Deleted
    Dude I'm replying to as many people that respond to me here. I'm not hiding behind my posts and I'm certainly not ignoring "facts" that I disagree with.
    No, you're hiding behind your ignorance and choosing to stay there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Depending on the country, that's incorrect.

For example, my country, Greece, will grant citizenship to anyone born of a Greek citizen, extending as far back as Greek grandparents. I'm sure other countries in the EU have similar rules. Being ethnically Greek makes you a Greek national, which opens the door to Greek citizenship.

To make it easier why don't you say what countries your European relatives were from?
    Britain, Italy and Poland.

I hope you realize that America was founded on immigration. This was native american land. So yeah, America is founded by immigrants. So Immigration birthed a country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    You're actually just proving your ignorance, they do not "walk straight in".

No, you're not being politically persecuted and made to dissapear because you've expressed opinion, like what happens in other countries.
    NDAA. Signed into law.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    I hope you realize that America was founded on immigration. This was native american land. So yeah, America is founded by immigrants. So Immigration birthed a country.
    Did you even read my post? That was literally in the first sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    People think that hating on "illegal" Mexicans is somehow different than those that hated on the Irish or Blacks before that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best teacher I ever had was a Polish immigrant. She was far superior to most of my American born teachers I had after her. That is why Im not opposed to immigration, America needs to attract the best and brightest and that doesn't always come from within.

Deleted
    As an American, I understand very well that my nation was built on immigration. The point I have though is that when you have double-digit unemployment, adding more workers, especially those without skills, is insanity. White guilt has gone far enough. And that's basically the tool being used here to justify allowing endless waves of immigrants entry into basically any Western nation in Europe or the US. And if you choose to stand against such actions, you're obviously a racist.

I just want to give you an example here. I'm a 3rd generation American, my entire family is of European descent. Do you think that I could go to Europe and make a living without either A: being incredibly rich or B: having a masters degree? Absolutely not. But both Europe and America allow any Middle Eastern man or woman access to the country, basically no questions asked, and this all okay? If you actually belong in these nations you have to jump through hoops, but if you're refugee of a war started by these countries, then just walk right in!

You know what, when people in America can't find work, we have no business passing a damn dream act. Send them all back! What we need to do is deport all these illegal immigrants, place our military on the damn border (instead of protecting Afghanistan's border) and put our nation first. And the same should be said for the UK, France, Germany or any other Western nation. There is no American dream when Americans are sleeping on the damn street.
    Sure you can do this. What makes you think that?
    We have a lot of immigration from arabic and eastern european countries here (especially in Berlin) and despite having a generous welfare state, out country has the lowest unemployment rate in Europe. Not to mention the living standards are quite good. No worries here.

Deleted
    Britain, Italy and Poland.
    As long as one of your grandparents was British you can get citizenship. Looks like you were wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melonemelo View Post
    Sure you can do this. What makes you think that?
    We have a lot of immigration from arabic and eastern european countries here (especially in Berlin) and despite having a generous welfare state, out country has the lowest unemployment rate in Europe. Not to mention the living standards are quite good. No worries here.
    that would be austria
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

There is no American dream when Americans are sleeping on the damn street.
    First of all, there is no American Dream, period. There never was. There never will be. It was a hoax.

What you are seeing with immigration is only a natural problem that "nations" and "countries" will always have to deal with. Apart from erecting gigantic titanium walls around the entire U.S. or "placing our military on the border" as you suggest, there is no permanent solution to immigration that can be achieved without crossing a line or using inhumane tactics.

People will always flock to where they think they'll have a better chance at life. You would do no less if you were in their position. And to think that by ending immigration, you will solve even a fraction of this country's problems just proves how little you know about our beloved system here in America.

You say you understand that America was built on immigration, but America is a nation of immigrants. Immigrants who built their nation on the stolen lands and bones of the very people who inhabited it for hundreds of years beforehand.

I have absolutely no sympathy to those in opposition to immigration because it is a biased point of view. You were born here and you are reaping the benefits of a First World lifestyle; of course you're against anyone wanting a piece of that.

Americans often claim that we are the greatest, most powerful nation on earth. Yet at the same time, we bitch and complain and cannot understand why people from other nations would want to come here.

Quick and simple google search :

A US born citizen has a right to claim UK citizenship through descent if they have at least one parent who is British. If they fall into this category, they can apply to the British Embassy in Washington DC to register their status and apply for a British passport. According to the British Embassy in Washington DC: "Children born in the United States whose fathers (and for those born after 31 December 1982 either of whose parents) are British citizens become United States citizens by birth and may also be British citizens by descent."
    Source
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2014-03-10 at 11:42 AM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    As long as one of your grandparents was British you can get citizenship. Looks like you were wrong.
    Actually, I can't. I've actively tried. It only goes back as far as the parent, British citizenship does not extend to grandparents.

Deleted
    Actually, I can't. I've actively tried. It only goes back as far as the parent, British citizenship does not extend to grandparents.
    It should extend by proxy, Grandparent is British, this means that parent can acquire British citizenship, this should then mean you can acquire it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    How dare people seek refuge from war, the audacity!
    Its completely understandable and nothing wrong with that. Although a country must wonder, do we have resources enough to sustain a crapton of refugees, who generally do nothing for society? And yes, I know there are people who want to and can contribute but the point still stands.
    Last edited by mmoc784f4fe159; 2014-03-10 at 11:45 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't read that right, I don't and can't get European citizenship. No American can unless they're either incredibly wealthy or have 10 years of education.
    You wont get a citizenship because you are a 3rd generation "foreigner" already, most countries in Europe will only consider giving citizenship for the children (2nd gen) of the expat.

Being extremely wealthy or having an education only gives you a living permit, not a settlement permit. As soon as you loose the job your education allows you to have or you cant prove an income anymore, EU will give you the boot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    that would be austria
    Whatever, we had the lowest unemployment rate. Point still stands.