Question playing wow on a late 2008 macbook

Hello:

I'm thinking of coming back to the game, but when I left i was having a lot of issues with latency, mainly in raids, by low i mean on the single digits of fps. This only started occurring in MoP, back in cata I didn't have any problems even in 25 man. are the specs on my computer not able to support wow even at the lowest of settings? is there a way to lower the settings even more or to do something on the computer to make it work?

Mac specs:

MacBook
    13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Any help is greatly appreciated

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    They are able to run wow for sure.

What OS are you running? hopefully 10.6.8, or 10.9.2, the ones in between or before aren't as good IMO.

If you have latency issues, you may need to use an ethernet cord btw.

FPS wise though, it should run wow on MINIMUM for SURE.

Also, try a new admin user, see if WoW run's better in a brand new Admin User.

Good Luck

<3

Thanks for the fast reply. By new admin user you mean deleting the wtf folders or a new account, like a trial account?

10+ Year Old Account
    That system should be able to run wow, but not well. 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo is like a dinosaur's grandfather in computer years.

And by new admin user, I think (Don't quote me) he means literally creating a new Admin account on the laptop. Im not quite sure what that might accomplish, aside from perhaps allowing greater system/performance control.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

guess i'm in trouble them, one question, will the new macbook air with the intel hd 5000 is able to run wow?? I'm gonna get it soon, so i might wait to pay wow after i get it

10+ Year Old Account
    It will run, but again.. Meh. Intel 5000 is ... slightly better, but still meh. The macbook air's processor is a 1.3ghz Haswell 2 core 4 thread CPU. Basically a crippled i3.

So yes, it will run, but expect disappointment in raids. Or anything with more than... you.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

again thanks for all the replies ... one final question: will switching to the 32 bit client help at all with lag? Sorry my newbness about computers but this is the only place where the community actually helps.

Thanks in advance for all replies

Quote Originally Posted by campero View Post
    Hello:

I'm thinking of coming back to the game, but when I left i was having a lot of issues with latency, mainly in raids, by low i mean on the single digits of fps. This only started occurring in MoP, back in cata I didn't have any problems even in 25 man. are the specs on my computer not able to support wow even at the lowest of settings? is there a way to lower the settings even more or to do something on the computer to make it work?

Mac specs:

MacBook
    13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Any help is greatly appreciated
    I run wow on my late 2008 Macbook, except I have the 2.2 C2Duo so you'll be fine. If you set the view distance to low you'll get 50-60 fps in pandaria. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that. Also, I have a fully updated version of mavericks.

EDIT: Latency isn't the same thing as fps. Latency is a bad connection to the internet, and low fps is from the CPU/GPU not being able to handle the game at certain points. Literally set everything to as low as you can, then slowly work your way up until you get an acceptable level of balance between fps and graphics quality
    Last edited by zolok2.0; 2014-03-13 at 04:25 PM.

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

I have the same exact mac, I occasionly play on it, and it runs the game really smooth, you wont have any issues. Just don't expect crazy high frame rates